Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which foods to avoid for new bands

you could get the statistic with every food out there.... you will not know until you try it yourself unfortunatly.

Flord... is right.... But, i found that if i over cooked the egg.... yes i got stuck..... if i scrambled it lightly... i didn't.

Instyle.... what you can and can't eat is different for everyone. I can eat potatoes and some Pasta. We went to eat Japanese Monday night and ate one small bite of fried rice... i was miserable for two days (one would think after 3 years i should no better)... I felt bloated and like everything was getting stuck.....But that's just me. Others have no trouble with rice.

Okay - got it! Thanks for the sample menu. It helps to know what I have to look forward to. Already found a coupon for those crackers that I can put away for future use. I had never heard of those before.

Okay - got it! Thanks for the sample menu. It helps to know what I have to look forward to. Already found a coupon for those crackers that I can put away for future use. I had never heard of those before.

I love them.... they taste the best and they never give me trouble to eat. Remember, everything will be trial and error at first... you will have to do some self monitoring for the first few months because you will be able to eat... i found that using a small kid plate, you know the ones that are divided and a small kid spoon/fork helped. Portion out your food with your 1/4 cup measuring tool and stick to it. If you get hungry... sip on a smoothie or Protein shake... Embrace every pound lose... Never think... Damn i "only" lost 1lbs or 2lbs... etc. Every pound lost is a pound to Celebrate. Set small goals and rewards. I would treat myself to pedi's and mani's for every 5/10lbs. Take lots of pictures, i wish i would have done that... and as soon as the clothes get too big that you can take them off with out unbuttoning them or zipping.... get rid of them I donated and shopped a lot at the GoodWill when i was losing...

I'm confused. I was told with the band I would be unable to eat bread' date=' Pasta, potatoes or rice. They said anything that gets Gummy or sticky had to be avoided. Is that not true?[/quote']

I was told avoid those items as well. The reason was because of the starches (carbs) that does not aid in losing the weight. I was told to avoid them to lose weight not because of the band.

I was banded 12/6 so almost one month ago. So far, I can eat anything which is kind of a bummer. I have very little restriction, but that's to be expected. I do have a problem if I eat too fast or don't chew enough. It hurts for a few seconds until the food goes down. It's really a learning curve!

I already got myself a baby/child's fork and spoon set plus small containers to store food in for when I can start eating regular food. The 2 week pre-op diet was hard at first, but I got through it, so I'm looking forward to the next step. I lost 165 lbs in the past and went from a size 24W to sizes 4, 6 and 8 and I still have a lot of those clothes so that is one of my big incentives to stick with a healthy eating plan. I love clothing (and shoes and jewelry and everything else that goes with it), so being able to pull out some of those will be my reward. That quick burst of weight loss during the pre-op diet helps to fuel my motivation. Of course I also tell myself that I need to remember the discomfort and pain I'm experiencing now because I don't want to have done this all for nothing.

I was banded on 12/27 and am still on Clear liquids until my surgeon follow-up on Friday. My surgeon's recommendations for when I move back to solids at the end of this month include mostly soft foods. He says I should avoid soft bread, but can toast it or eat crackers instead. Other than that I've heard that rice can clog...haven't heard that as much about Pasta. And well-done steaks might be a problem too.

I saw one commenter was avoiding popcorn -- anyone else have an issue with this? I went to a movie yesterday with my dad and had to watch him eat a bag of popcorn...that was kind of hard for me. :D

I was banded on 12/27 and am still on Clear Liquids until my surgeon follow-up on Friday. My surgeon's recommendations for when I move back to solids at the end of this month include mostly soft foods. He says I should avoid soft bread, but can toast it or eat crackers instead. Other than that I've heard that rice can clog...haven't heard that as much about Pasta. And well-done steaks might be a problem too.

I saw one commenter was avoiding popcorn -- anyone else have an issue with this? I went to a movie yesterday with my dad and had to watch him eat a bag of popcorn...that was kind of hard for me. :D

Popcorn is funny.... for me it goes down fine but I spend the next hour bringing up the skins of the kernels... But I eat it alot... Not the kind in the movie theatre... the 100 calorie bags from the store.

popcorn is funny.... for me it goes down fine but I spend the next hour bringing up the skins of the kernels... But I eat it alot... Not the kind in the movie theatre... the 100 calorie bags from the store.

i eat those also (from pop secret). and when we go to movie, i bring it with me :)

i eat pretty much what i want but i am very strict on what and the amount... personally, i do not eat bread/rice/pasta/potatoes.. i choose to eat more filling foods and in my past, i had to eat alot of them to make me full (hence big time cal overload which equaled 336 pounds).taking in more cals than i burned off is what did it...

.i guess its a person's choice and as they progress....i havent had a fill yet so i am not sure about what hard or not..i enjoy reading posts like these

I was banded on 11/8 and have not had any problems with food getting stuck yet. Over the holiday, I did eat more carbs then usual, but now that I am back to work, I have returned to better eating habits. My doctor also told me to stay away from carbs because they will slow the weight loss process. I usually only add carbs if I am going out to dinner, then I eat very little of them

If I remember correctly, I was told to stay away from bread, rice, potatoes and Pasta because they could gum things up and cause slippage. My patient care advocate told me she can eat things like tortilla chips, but she's very careful about limiting herself.

If I remember correctly, I was told to stay away from bread, rice, potatoes and Pasta because they could gum things up and cause slippage. My patient care advocate told me she can eat things like tortilla chips, but she's very careful about limiting herself.

All of the foods you mention have been notorious foods for many bandsters. But not all. In the beginning, while you are healing, doctors want you to stay away from any foods that could cause you to get stuck or vomit. Both can jeopardize your surgery by causing the sutures that were sewn into the lining of your stomach to keep the band in place, to rip away and cause slippage.

Just my opinion of course, but once the healing process is over you can experiment with these and other foods to see if your band will tolerate them. It seems that all of us have a different tolerance to many different foods. Complex carbs can be consumed by many of us but I would venture to say that all of us are very aware that these foods can cause a stuck episode so we take very small bites and chew oh so well.

tmf

I already got myself a baby/child's fork and spoon set plus small containers to store food in for when I can start eating regular food. The 2 week pre-op diet was hard at first' date=' but I got through it, so I'm looking forward to the next step. I lost 165 lbs in the past and went from a size 24W to sizes 4, 6 and 8 and I still have a lot of those clothes so that is one of my big incentives to stick with a healthy eating plan. I love clothing (and shoes and jewelry and everything else that goes with it), so being able to pull out some of those will be my reward. That quick burst of weight loss during the pre-op diet helps to fuel my motivation. Of course I also tell myself that I need to remember the discomfort and pain I'm experiencing now because I don't want to have done this all for nothing.[/quote']

I have also purchased baby utensils and small bowls and plates. I have found it easier for me to stick with the rules with these items :)

As others have stated, it's all trial and error. How tight your band is plays a big part in it, too.

I personally don't restrict carbs. I count calories, restrict fat, and make sure to get a minimum of 60g of Protein in daily, but I don't do the whole "low carb" thing so many seem to be doing.

So, I eat bread, rice, Pasta, and potatoes regularly without issue.

If I'm going to get stuck, it's going to be on dry meat. Otherwise, I end up stuck on food not because of the type of food it is but because I simply took too big of a bite and did it to myself.