Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which foods to avoid for new bands

I was banded 12/19/12. I am to begin soft foods today and transition to full foods next week excluding: bread, Pasta, and rice per MD order. I am curious which foods caused the most difficulty for the newly banded. I'm wanting to avoid "stuck" episodes as much as possible. Thanks

No food for me. It was if I'd not been banded for the first 3 months.

I'm thinking very few of us experienced any difficulty eating anything the first 6 weeks or so. But then again, most of us followed the rules so the dilemma never presented itself. I would imagine that eating beef, dry chicken, turkey would be the most difficult? And mostly because it takes time to develop those eat like a bandster habits. Eat slowly, small and chew big!

tmf

I can eat anything, but I don't in general. The items you already listed are them. I don't eat any bread except the dough on 2 slices of pizza about once a month. That's my dough treat and sometimes small portion of rice with Thai foods. Some can not eat leafy vegetables and corn which is usually on any docotr's list. It must be the skin cover and some can't eat grapes due to the skin. Celery is out of most foods, too fiberous. If later you experiement in trying some on the list, make sure they are cooked all the way.

Best wishes

I never had an issue eating anything in the beginning and as time goes on and you get fills it is only then that you will be able to know which foods wont work for you. I can eat salads and some cant. It all depends on what your band decides it will like and not like.

The only thing I can think of is fruit peels and any meat that is really dry. I very rarely experience problems except when I eat to fast which is why I eat Soup when I go out with my family and their crazy speed eating demons.

The only things I get "stuck" with is peels, rice, and seeds. Rice is bad for brand new bands. Maybe later. I was told that just as I could never more drink carbonated drinks, i should never ever eat popcorn! Also, be careful with stringy foods!

I was banded 12/19/12. I am to begin soft foods today and transition to full foods next week excluding: bread' date=' Pasta, and rice per MD order. I am curious which foods caused the most difficulty for the newly banded. I'm wanting to avoid "stuck" episodes as much as possible. Thanks[/quote']

I get stuck on breads. Wraps and Pasta

I have been banded for 4 months and can eat anything. bread is getting more difficult for me.....not stuck, but 3x have had to drink Water to 'push it down'. Other times, bread is perfectly fine.

Thanks for all the info. I'm really wanting to try scrambled eggs but read that 50% have stuck episodes.

I think its so individualized that it would be hard to identify foods which you might have trouble with. My dr suggests white breads, white Pasta, popcorn. skinned fruits and anything you do not chew well enough may give you a problem. But its trial and error. Just concentrate on chewing!!!

Thanks for all the info. I'm really wanting to try scrambled eggs but read that 50% have stuck episodes.

you could get the statistic with every food out there.... you will not know until you try it yourself unfortunatly.

I'm confused. I was told with the band I would be unable to eat bread, Pasta, potatoes or rice. They said anything that gets Gummy or sticky had to be avoided. Is that not true?

I'm confused. I was told with the band I would be unable to eat bread, Pasta, potatoes or rice. They said anything that gets Gummy or sticky had to be avoided. Is that not true?

Bread, pasta and rice have a high probability of getting stuck (mashed potatoes go down like a charm), but if you chew, toast and chew some more you can probably eat anything. I would hesitate to try fresh warm gummy bread, I can eat pasta, haven't really tried rice and potatoes are just fine..........everyone is different and things change depending on the amount of restriction you have.

As with any surgery.... everyone is different. The LB is the same... no two bandsters are the same and it seems that neither or all the doctors....lol.

My doctor said that i should stay away from fibrous items like Celery and pineapple... So i do. I did try them and he was right. the Fibers ball up and get stuck.

My first few months it was easy to eat most anything.... this is when your will power is tested the most. Even though you CAN eat most anything... Should you? My thoughts is if eating bread, rice, Pasta... etc was what made us all fat to begin with, why not use our tool to stop them all together.

I have the 14cc band and i have 10.5cc in it now. These are the things that have always given me trouble: White Bread, white rice, white Pasta, over cooked: steak, chicken, pork,,

A normal days food for me: Breakfast is a cup of coffee... 30 min. later i eat one soft scrambled egg and a slice of bacon. snack is laughing cow cheese with a few Crunchmaster multi grain crackers. lunch is most likely Soup (wendy chili applebees broc/cheese) or a baked sweet potato, or a small salad (i have trouble with ice burg lett.. so i eat baby greens). Snack depends if i'm hungry.. i'll eat dried cheerios or a special k bar. Supper is either grilled chicken/fish with veggies or salad/soup. I never drink with my meals and stop when i fill full.... or if i start too burp/hiccup.... that's normally my sign to stop.

Good luck...