Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

mourning the loss of food

How has everyone else gotten over not be able to eat til you feel satisfied? I find myself just wanting to eat because there is nothing else to do. of course I cannot do that and its making me quite edgy. So far I have 2 scrambled eggs today and I still feel hungry but I am worried about over eating. Its almost like going stir crazy. I just wanna eat.

dont think of it that way as (a loss) but think of what you are gaining

a healthier you

a healthier body

a sexy body again

a better attitude

smaller clothes....

that is way better than me missing ole chips and dip.....

hang in there, its worth it

I completely understand. My poor family caught 9 kinds of heli about a week after my surg. I was just mad cause I wanted to eat. But I got over it real quik. I was banded 12-12-12 and I'm doing just fine with cooking supper and them snacking in font of me. But oh boy I was mean there for a few days. Guess I was mourning food too. Never thought of it like that. It goes away:)

Good luck. It's all gonna b ok

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

How has everyone else gotten over not be able to eat til you feel satisfied? I find myself just wanting to eat because there is nothing else to do. of course I cannot do that and its making me quite edgy. So far I have 2 scrambled eggs today and I still feel hungry but I am worried about over eating. Its almost like going stir crazy. I just wanna eat.

The point of the band is to eat until your are satisifed not full...so I am not quite sure what you mean....unless you aren't in the green zone yet and you are talking about not having any restriction.

Either way...sounds like you need to find other things to do besides eating, thinking about eating or planning to eat. Read, walk, run, shop...do anything to get your mind off eating... It will help a lot.

But just one question... You said you have had 2 scrambled eggs today... What time is that for you? Because unless that was just the first meal...no wonder you are hungry ...

You were just banded a couple weeks ago, so I am guessing you have little or nothing in your band.

Once you have adequate Fluid in your band you will feel satisfied again. The great part is, you'll be satisfied on much less food for longer periods of time.

Now as far as eating out of boredom, or what we call "head hunger", unfortunately the band can't fix that. The band can and will help control your physical hunger but the head hunger is always ours to battle. It does get easier as time goes on.

Best wishes.

I hope so because at this point I havent lost anything, my incisions are still gaping open, I am super hungry and very frustrated. I knew it was going to be a slow process but for 2 1/2 weeks post op and still having difficulties is a llittle ridiculous. ugh......

thanks for all of the encouraging words........I'm hoping time will heal the wounds and eventually I wont feel so hungry after a fill. I just dont know the ins and outs yet I suppose. I ate scrambled eggs at about 3pm PST. The head hunger is the issue that I am having but more the loss of not being able to eat what I want when I want. its that whole scenario of you always want what you cant have.

thanks for all of the encouraging words........I'm hoping time will heal the wounds and eventually I wont feel so hungry after a fill. I just dont know the ins and outs yet I suppose. I ate scrambled eggs at about 3pm PST. The head hunger is the issue that I am having but more the loss of not being able to eat what I want when I want. its that whole scenario of you always want what you cant have.

I assume you must be a late riser.... Because by 3p I would have had over 1/2 of my daily calories...but of course you need to eat on a schedule that works for you.. I found eating the same times most days helped me plan my eating and look forward to the next meal.

It does get easier but it is a huge mental game until you get to the Green zone... So you ned to busy yourself and find distractions so you don't make yourself nuts!!!

hang in there!

would someone mind giving me an idea of what they eat....like just a sample menu. Who eats bread? Pasta? and have much can you have?

would someone mind giving me an idea of what they eat....like just a sample menu. Who eats bread? Pasta? and have much can you have?

A typical day for me once I was on solids is.. At every meal... 3 oz protien, 1/2 c veggie and 1/4 c starch... Three times a day. I also had usually 2 snacks.. One fruit and one sweet or crunchy... Sacks were no more than 100 calories each. My total calorie intake during my Losing stage was 1000

I guess I am feeling conflicted too because I am supposed to be on mushies and I feel like I cant have anything I want. Can I have meatloaf? isnt that kinda mushey? or potato salad? if I knew what I can have opposed to what I cant have that might help.

I guess I am feeling conflicted too because I am supposed to be on mushies and I feel like I cant have anything I want. Can I have meatloaf? isnt that kinda mushey? or potato salad? if I knew what I can have opposed to what I cant have that might help.

I am sorry your dr wasn't very helpful... The way mine described mushies is to be the consistency of baby food...for toddlers. That said..meat is tough to eat and digest so if you want it...put it in a blender. bread and Pasta should be avoided in the mushie stage...But once one solids it's fine in 1/4 c portions.

In mushies I ate tuna, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus, Soup, oatmeal...things like that.

Oh I forgot applesauce and mashed potatoes too...both great mushies...but make sure you limit your starches to 1/4 cup

It's times like this you have to learn to stop thinking about food and put that energy in to some positive goals. Take a walk, exercise dims your hunger and makes you feel good. Read a book, watch a good movie without food commericials. Don't mourn what has made you miserable for all these years. Consider yourself lucky to have had something that a lot of people will never have. Freedom from food.

It sounds like you need to talk to your surgeon and ask for some direction. Were you given post op diet instructions? Most are given very detailed paperwork on what to have at specific stages. If you weren't given this, you should go to your surgeon's office and request it. It's really important for proper healing.

Also, did you see a nutritionist before surgery? Most surgeons require them, but if yours didn't, I would find one and make an appointment. Learning how to eat smart is a major part of success with the band and a good nutritionist is so important to have.