Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband failure / waste of time and money

So it's been almost 2 years, I started at 305 lbs at my lowest I made it to 230 and that was basically puking everything I ate back up, I'm now back up to 270. All my dr can tell me is well do eat that or u should eat more dry solid food. Well dry old food makes me puke or feel horrible. Basically if I eat and it feels like something is stuck. If I get sick or wait long enough it passes and then I can eat like normal as if I don't have a band. So what's the point, all I have done is had something it in me that makes me feel like crap

Sorry you're having so much trouble with your band.Seems like you're either too tight or eating too big a bite or too fast. I wish you all the best.

Right now, I'm very happy with my band. Everytime I pull something out of my cliset, it's already baggy. I haven't puked yet, but be sure if I do, will either get an unfill or re examine my eating habits

Wishing you a more comfortable life!

Also my wife had gastric bypass yrs ago. She saw the surgeon same as my surgeon and she discussed my issues with the dr and he said well the band could be erroding or slipped....... My bad is not even 2 yrs old!! Erroding??? He said most people with Lapland often opt for gastric bypass later do to not having success with the band...... So now I've lost enough weight that even if. Wanted to I would not qualify for gastric bypass with insurance and don't have cash to pay for it

There is no rhyme or reason when I get sick, I can take 1 bite of like potato or like Xmas day. First bite of Pasta I ended up puking. And like I said after I get sick if I wait a few minutes I can then eat as if I never had the band. And I don't feel any restriction. But the idiot dr has no decent input

There is no rhyme or reason when I get sick, I can take 1 bite of like potato or like Xmas day. First bite of Pasta I ended up puking. And like I said after I get sick if I wait a few minutes I can then eat as if I never had the band. And I don't feel any restriction. But the idiot dr has no decent input

This sounds like a stuck episode. A lot of banded ppl can no longer eat pasta.

Has your Dr ordered a GI xray to confirm a slip or erosion, if not I would insist on one.

I have a granddaughter with many severe medical issues and one thing I've learned through her is, you are your best advocate. Make them answer your questions and prove what they're saying to be true.

If you do have a bad band some insurances will pay for a revision to something like the sleeve. It's worth looking into.

From what I've read here, when everything is good it's REALLY GOOD but when it's bad it's the pits!

Sorry your having such a hard time.

Yeah I know all about being your best advocate, my wife has a lot of health issues, last i saw him he did an X-ray and said it all looked normal, and just said it was my diet and food choices , but as I said The recommended dry solid food just makes me sick

After having such poor results with this and seeing the side effects of my wife's gastric bypass I don't Gino I'd opt for any other surgerys even if I could, I'm half temped to have the dr loosen the band fully and ill just get a serious excersise routine to lose the weight

That's always an option. Maybe first try a slight unfill and see if things improve.

After having such poor results with this and seeing the side effects of my wife's gastric bypass I don't Gino I'd opt for any other surgerys even if I could, I'm half temped to have the dr loosen the band fully and ill just get a serious excersise routine to lose the weight

along with the serious exercise, eating your allotted amount of food as well as fresh fruits and veggies and a positive attitude can help also to lose weight... i say this as i started out way bigger than you. and i am hanging in there as best i can. so i want you to also...usually, from what i read, too big of bites, or chewing too fast etc, can cause you to be sick or throw up etc....so how about back to basics, baby bites and see what happens..but def refer to your dr and your heavy concerns. i am so hoping a great new year for you sir., and your wife :)

This is exactly why my husband who needs to lose 60-80 pounds will not get the band. I love my band!! But I do not see many men having success like the women. I don't mean men cannot do this properly, but most men like my husband started out thin and grew into this belly mode and never dieted and honestly do not understand the concept of changing eating habits. I never had any fills and practice self-control and trying to change bad habits along the way. People on here say why get the band if you don't get fills. Getting fills is not right for me, having the band alone has helped me get to goal and stay there for 4 years, so you can do this without having the band so tight that you throw up everytime you eat. It sounds like you are very tight and maybe a big bite will come back up when you do eat. We are not doctors but from what I have read, I have done what is best for me and never had any fills. I cannot live like you are trying to eat normal and throwing up every time. Most people on here think like me and do what YOU are comfortable with. You need to sit down and figure out how you can comfortably use the band to your advantage. Good luck and I hope you can find a way to work this band in your favor.

There a not a lot of people like sparkplug, but there are some. I have often wished that I was one of them. I have lost my 100 lbs, and am happy, but still have stuck episodes. You keep saying dry foods, I can't eat dry foods. If you are meaning non-mushy or solids, I think that possibly you are waiting too long and eating too fast. Take smaller bites, chew well and try to stay away from sliders and empty calories It is easier to lose weight with gastric bypass because they cut- away most of your stomach. It is a permanent fix, but a person can eat around that too. I have a friend who lost an amazing amount of weight and after 5 years is huge again, too. You must learn that this is a new way of life. Best wishes, and Happy New Year, and New you!!!Karen

I cannot relate to the experience you are having but I sense your frustration and would suggest if you are serious about making it work for you that you find a new Dr who will better educate you and help you with your struggles. Best of luck.

This is just my thoughts. But, finding the right restriction I think is key. I have good restriction, I get satisfied on about 1 cup of food. I can eat anything... Pasta, steak, bread (most of the time). I'm loose enough to eat healthy and most anything but have enough restriction to get full/satisfied on little food. Personally I think it sounds like you need a slight Un-fill.

Don't give up quite yet without giving it a try!

Best of Luck to you!