Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Missy explained it perfectly. occasionally if something gets stuck..u will feel like u have to burp, but when you do, food can come back up into your mouth ... its not a good experience at all...those are called Productive Burps or PB's as you will see referred too here in the forums. The PBs are less likely if u keep your food chewed up well and eat slow...but they can happen, and almost every bandster will experience it...its good to experience too cuz its what helps u learn what you are able to handle and what you arent, as well as help teach u to slow down and chew well. im 8 months since my surgery and im just now, eating as slow as the docs say you should lol....

Rebecca, I was told by my dietician to always papaya enzyems they act as natural meat tenderizers. This should break up the meat that gets stuck. Check with you surgeon see what he/she has to say.

You will know when you get stuck. There are varying levels of "stuck". I had a severe stuck episode once eating a piece of a pork roast that was too dry (don't try that one). I was foaming (literally) at the mouth, in a lot of pain as it wouldn't come up, and felt like I couldn't breathe. That happened one time and it was my fault. I went for a walk and finally it came up.

There are times when you get stuck and as others mentioned you will start burping a lot. Sometimes it will come up, other times after a few burps it will pass. There are also times where something may be stuck and you will "slime", gross but reality. Essentially, you will have a lot of saliva coming up. It is best to spit it out (sorry for the details but this will help if it happens). If you don't it adds pressure and pain. Honestly, my stuck moments (ironically) happened worse before I had my fills. Maybe I have just learned how to avoid them better or who knows.

My greatest suggestion is to avoid as best as possible. It took me a while to learn that if I felt any discomfort eating to stop right then and there. Initially, I may start to feel slight discomfort (either ate too fast or too big a bite) and it seemed minor so I would have another bite - WRONG. At the first sign of feeling any discomfort, stop eating. Make sure it passes before eating more.

Lastly, if you do have a stuck moment, it may be best to stick to liquids or mushies for a day or two as it often irritates/inflames the stoma and trying to eat solid foods again after may cause another episode.

If you make sure you don't eat dry meats, eat small pieces, chew, chew, chew and wait between bites it is very likely you may never have a stuck moment. Many people have never had one. The ones I had were my own fault.

chicken is an absolute no no for my band. Its stringy and hard to eat for me. I really do not eat meat so much since being in the green zone. It just doesnt work.

chicken is an absolute no no for my band. Its stringy and hard to eat for me. I really do not eat meat so much since being in the green zone. It just doesnt work.

just curious Cheryl...what do you have to get your Protein? do you use a powder? drinks?

Rebecca, I was told by my dietician to always papaya enzyems they act as natural meat tenderizers. This should break up the meat that gets stuck. Check with you surgeon see what he/she has to say.

hmm never heard of that...ty will look into that

White meat turkey is my downfall, but hey, I don't like it all that well anyhow, so I stick to others. Sauce can help.

For white meat, i have found steamed fish is wonderful, nice and soft. As for red meat, i cant eat steak. I havent tried a lamb chop from the bbq yet! I miss them!! But i can tolerate lamb in a stew cos its so soft. Its wonderful during mushies and a cold night!!

To advoid getting stuck our docs gave us a book and dvd showing that our pouch has only space for a teaspoon or small fork, so we have to take a small amount chew chew chew chew chew till mush then swallow and wait a minute between bites. I reckon with the waiting i could of knitted a jumper!!! Ask your doc for advice on how to eat for your band. Best of luck!

Im aussie, could anyone tell me more about papaya enzymes?

Thanks have a wonderful weekend