Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your brain have to catch up with your band?

So, I've been banded a little over a year and am down 54lbs. (YAY) I call myself the turtle of lap band, because my weight loss has been slow but steady.

Lap band surgery has been tougher mentally than physically for me. I wore baggy clothes forever. Even though other people would comment on my weightloss, I didn't see it so easily. Finally began to wear clothes that fit. I was at my son's house and looked into his full length mirror. I said, this must be one of those mirrors that make you look smaller than you are. He said, no mom, its just a mirror.

I have been overweight most of my life. This new me is just that...new. I got out my winter clothes and nothing fits, nothing. Its so weird. But, I do love it. I feel so much better and am beginning to like mirrors, pictures and clothes a lot more.

What about you? Is it physically or mentally more life changing? Maybe both?

I'm down 50 lbs over the last year myself. I always told myself that if I lost 50, it would be worth it. I plan on losing 30 more early next year.

It took me some time before I bought new clothes(Late October). I'm still very judgemental of myself though. I'm very happy with my weight loss, I'm so happy that I'm so much healthier now, and I know I look better, but my mind is still not completely there yet.

And, it's so comforting to see so many other bandsters who lost even more in their 2nd year. So, I'm looking forward to 2013.

tmf

Some times i look in the mirror and say holy moly. Other times i still see fat.:(

Its crazy....crazy good :) . At first I didn't set a goal. I said I would be happy with 160 then 150 then 145. Just set a new goal of 135. I am a little over two months into my second year and have lost 6lbs in the last six weeks.

Great topic!

Until i started wearing clothes that fit I didnt notice a thing

Then one day I jokingly tried on my sisters size 14 skirt and it actually fit!! was a bit tight but was wearable....

Now that I'm wearing smaller sizes it's definitely beginning to show.

Sometimes I look in the mirror discouraged at mow much more I need to lose and that really sucks, but i guess this is all part of the journey, the ups and the downs

If only we could band our head! I have said that so many times. The mental side of this journey is the hardest, whether it is the head hunger or how you see yourself. This is the new me and it takes time to get use to....so very true!

We just have to Bee"lieve in the new person that we are!

Great comments. I am down 139 and still sometimes see the old me. I love the progress, the compliments, but don't always see what the see. Definitely waiting for the last 20 and plastics!

The head stuff is really the hardest to handle.

I weigh myself 2x a week and track everything so I can go back and look at all the changes that have happened. If not it is so easy for me to lose sight of how far I have come in the past year.

I feel different but at the same time I don't feel like I have changed all that much. It is such a head trip.

I am wearing size 8 jeans, down from size 22 and medium tops, from 1X. If I see a cute top in a store, I still look to see if it is in XL. I grab styles that are loose and baggy, even though they aren't flattering now.

In my head, I'm still fat.

I still want to clean my plate. I still want to "finish" the "small" amount in the package.

I think I am going to be measuring portions for the rest of my life - which is a small price to pay for maintaining a healthy weight.

Slow turtle? Try two years December 21....but... I'm down 113 pounds 11 pounds to goal. I'm definitely not caught up with size. Started in a 24, tried on a size 11 bootcut jean this afternoon and thrilled I could wear them (I had originally brought to the dressing room a size 13 jean) whoa baby I thought!!!! Just to add the slow turtle wins the race!

Yep I didn't start wearing tighter more fitting clothes until I got into a size 14...I think both mentally challenging. I feel great mentally when I'm also exercising which benefits physically. Really is a balancing act with band, eating, drinking, exercising, adjustment fills, an occasional bump in the road on our journey. Good luck and congrats little turtle.

My head and my stomach have different opinions! My head says size 22 my stomach says 14... I even go as far to tell myself all the weight I lost was only in my arms and legs but there's no way my legs weighed 67 lbs by themselves... very frustrating

Slow turtle? Try two years December 21....but... I'm down 113 pounds 11 pounds to goal. I'm definitely not caught up with size. Started in a 24' date=' tried on a size 11 bootcut jean this afternoon and thrilled I could wear them (I had originally brought to the dressing room a size 13 jean) whoa baby I thought!!!! Just to add the slow turtle wins the race![/quote']

You know you're skinny when your clothes sizes switch from even numbers (22/24) to odd numbers (13) :-)

Great to hear other people's thoughts on this topic. I've been struggling to see the new sized me in the mirror as well. I still feel and think like I'm the weight I started. I still worry im taking up too much space on the bus, picking the big size off the rack at clothing stores and brush off comments when people say im looking smaller. Slowly as I've got to tighter, slimmer fitting clothes the reality is setting in, but my fear is I'll always think of myself as the big girl.