Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Decide On Lap Band Versus Sleeve?

Hi everyone. I have begun my 6 month pre-op program with UTMB and expressed my favorite option to get the band. My nurse practioner asked if I would like to consider the sleeve. So I am now trying to sum up the pros and cons of the band and sleeve.

Question for you all is...what made you ultimately decide on the band rather than the other surgical options like the sleeve?

I wanted a completely non altering device implanted which left my biology in tact.

I chose the band because I didn't want anything permanently to change in terms of my anatomy. I am a month out and feel great. It was a great decision!

I chose band to have control on restriction and go slower so I could get used to it...crazy but worked for me. I didn't want cut, and I didn't want dumping syndrome. Also I have a sister who had bypass. Not for me, she is considering lap now.

It was the ONLY option for me as there was no way I was cutting off and rerouting my organs (bypass) and dealing with "dumping syndrome" or getting my stomach permanently stapled! ( the sleeve). Some opt for Plication..when they fold the stomach in half and staple it..along with putting in a Band..my doctor called this the mexican lapband..they dont do that at Yale. All surgeries have risks..make an informed decision with your doctor thats right for you!

I agree with the above posts; also my Primary Care Physician would only agree to Lap Band; she was very much AGAINST changing your anatomy; she said you are trading one health issue (obesity) for other health issues. So, I followed her advice. I am very happy about it. Also, the band can be taken out or reversed.

I was originally going to get the sleeve, and at the last minute changed to the band. I can give you some insight on why...the smaller stomach of the sleeve can slowly stretch back out over time. I was worried about 7-10 years down the road falling into old habits and my stomach just changing to accommodate over eating. The band is reversible, if at anytime I have issues or don't want the band anymore I just ask for it to be taken out. These were the 2 major issues I thought about before being banded.

Since being banded I LOVE my decision. I'm only 2 weeks out from banding, but I do not regret my choice. I am looking at my band as my newest BFF, and she is definitely keeping her end of the deal. I already feel better about myself, and knowing this "friend" is here to help me I have no worries of losing the weight and then gaining it back--as I have done so many times in my life.

I researched which one wold be best for me. I wanted the band because you lose weight more slowly than bypass or sleeve. I wanted to have more control over my weight loss. I didn't want to lose it so fast that I didn't recognize myself!! My PCP and my surgeons PA tried to talk me out of the band but my surgeon said I am definetly wright for the band. I'm only 32 and I have the mind set to get to my goal. Either the band or slave are great tools to help....but I like the fact that if a year down the road if I were to fail the band and it just wasn't working for me....I can always get the sleeve. My surgeon believes that I will succeed with the band but the sleeve is always an option...but I agree with others...I want to keep all my original organs intact!!!! But I was banded Nov 12 and I'm down 25lbs so far and I'm so happy with my choice!! My kids already notice a change in me and that makes me smile!!! Hope you make the right decision for you. Its your body and you have to live with it...not your doctors....don't be pushed into something you don't want. In the end its your decision!!

Like many of the above posters I preferred lapband because it meant my insides weren't going to be chopped up and that scared the bejesus out of me. I wanted a way to help me control my never ending hunger and a way to be in control of food not the other way around. It's still early months for me being banded but so far so good and I no longer have an obsession with food and my hunger has gone apart from the natural hunger when it's time to eat. I no longer think about food 24/7 except when it's time to eat and I feel a lot is because of the lapband taking those sensations away for me.

..my doctor called this the mexican lapband..they dont do that at Yale.

OMG that's so hilarious and offensive at the same time LOL!!

I appreciate everyones response to my question. My doc and nurse definitely do not want to make the decision for me. She just wanted me to research these 2 options. So far I still like the band for the control of restriction. And I like the sleeve for the lower cost maintenance since the band refills will not be covered on insurance and will cost 150.00 each time. Oye....still have plenty of time to decide.

I appreciate everyones response to my question. My doc and nurse definitely do not want to make the decision for me. She just wanted me to research these 2 options. So far I still like the band for the control of restriction. And I like the sleeve for the lower cost maintenance since the band refills will not be covered on insurance and will cost 150.00 each time. Oye....still have plenty of time to decide.

Keep in mind....after the first year your fills will be few and far between. Once get in the green zone it's pretty much smooth sailing. The fills do evaporate slightly and you lose the fat around the stomach so the band loosens but I had 5 or 6 fills the first year... 2 the second year and as I approach year 3 I don't anticipate needing one for some time.

I'm not offended lol...I think its hilarious a doctor said something so non-politically correct!

I agree that you can expect to have up to six fills the first year; unless your doctor will be more aggresive than mine was