Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Or Sleeve

I can honestly say I have done better on my band and have lost more the second year by having conservative fills the first year and more aggressive ones this year.

That's great! So happy for you. The keys to success with the band is eating right, exercise and staying connected to others that had this surgery. If you slip from any of them, you will have a problem. Then the problem grows the longer to don't do what you should. I'm saying this, because I know first hand. I've gone up and down with journey. I'm working on consistency. I will I will have it. I'm trusting God.

I'm thinking about getting the sleeve too. I'm probably 95% sure I'm going to get the lap band but there is 5% of me that wants the sleeve. It is permanent. I weigh 285 pounds. It is very unlikely that I will ever be able to keep the weight off if I have have my lap band removed. The lap band can be permanent. My worry about the lap band is that, psychologically, I might have my band unfilled so I can eat more. I love food. I'm addicted to food. If I get desperate enough, would I actually self-sabbatage myself so I can eat? Truthfully, I can't say no. I would hope not, since I went under anesthesia and had a surgical procedure to lose weight. With the sleeve, it is harder to cheat. You can cheat but it is permanent so you can't have part of your stomach reattached. That's my thinking. My mom says the exact same thing as you: that I'm too young to be cut and remove part of my stomach so young. On the flip side of coin, I am younger and have a long life ahead of me that I might be potentially more healthy because I got the sleeve versus the lap band (since you can have it removed or unfilled).

Personally, I'm going to see what my surgeon has to say and take it from there. He is going to give me his opinion as to what surgery he thinks would be best for me tomorrow am.

I was in Germany recently and met a woman who had also had the band. She told me that most of Europe is going with the sleeve now. In the end it's a personal preference but definitely worth looking into

I'm thinking about getting the sleeve too. I'm probably 95% sure I'm going to get the lap band but there is 5% of me that wants the sleeve. It is permanent. I weigh 285 pounds. It is very unlikely that I will ever be able to keep the weight off if I have have my lap band removed. The lap band can be permanent. My worry about the lap band is that' date=' psychologically, I might have my band unfilled so I can eat more. I love food. I'm addicted to food. If I get desperate enough, would I actually self-sabbatage myself so I can eat? Truthfully, I can't say no. I would hope not, since I went under anesthesia and had a surgical procedure to lose weight. With the sleeve, it is harder to cheat. You can cheat but it is permanent so you can't have part of your stomach reattached. That's my thinking. My mom says the exact same thing as you: that I'm too young to be cut and remove part of my stomach so young. On the flip side of coin, I am younger and have a long life ahead of me that I might be potentially more healthy because I got the sleeve versus the lap band (since you can have it removed or unfilled).

Personally, I'm going to see what my surgeon has to say and take it from there. He is going to give me his opinion as to what surgery he thinks would be best for me tomorrow am.[/quote']

You can stretch your stomach back to its original size if you choose to continue to eat. You can regain weight. You have to deal with the emotional issues that you have with food, because no surgery will save you from yourself. You should succeed with any surgery you have. You can't start off saying that there will be loop hoes. You can do what ever surgery you feel is best for you, but I think you should identify your support system. You can't do without people to encourage you, because when things get difficult, and they will, your support is there to remind you that you can succeed.

Those are my thoughts.

My doctor and dietitian recommended the lapband over the sleeve. IT is the least evausive operation and recovery is quicker.

Love my band but fills are required. Good accountability, monitor your body and listen to it!!!!! I'm sure all surgeries work well but only a tool. I like the band I'm a quantity eater it works for me:)

I understand. But you also want something that she would loose the most. You will make the best decision I'm sure. I am not sure what I would do. But make sure that whatever you choose, that she's involved in a support group.

Yes. She is researching but is confused. I think you would have to work with sleeve also.

If If it were me talking to my daughtrr wouldn't let her do anything until she was completely comfortable with her decision and the ramifications of living with either surgery.

I know floridays.thank you

My daughter decided on lap band

Oh great! I know she will do well.

I am getting a revision this month. No success with the band. Maybe its too high or whatever. End results=failure.Sleeve will do what the band is supposed to. Full on small amounts. I only gagged with the band or was too loose. No sweet spot EVER. Having part of my stomach removed is was preferable over this fat that creates physical challenges as I grow older. I am 50 with young children am feeling the toll. I still go to the gym, but have eating issues that I have to face daily and working with the band has led to disordered eating. I have to prep to be healthy and end up over my caloric needs.I will switch to the other board now and good luck to all. I envy all who had success the first time around! :)

I am now torn between the two also. I am scheduling my surgery date tomorrow hopefully but I am so scared I will fail on the band...

Congrats on the switch! The band works for a lot of people. I've started going on YouTube and looking at other band blogs. I wished I'd looked into this sites long ago, because I now I would have had a more successful journey with the band. Its really been rough on me, but I'm giving this thing until the end of the year. Honestly, I know it will work this time. I'm different. I'm really trying to eating better. Before you decide between the band and the sleeve look at the cons of having it. I honestly, don't know them. I believe the weight can come off faster with the sleeve. But it can also come back with any of the weight loss tools. The light has got to click on in your mind and heart for you to maintain any kind of weight loss you are blessed to obtain.