Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have Trouble With Mash Potatoes?

Hi, I am 10 days post op and am now on the 'mushies' stage. Just curious if anyone has ever had trouble with mashed potatoes?

It's one of the foods listed on my surgeons guide, but my mom has me totally freaked out that they will get stuck or something. So just wondering someone's experience who is banded with them, I've been kind of nervous about eatting.

Truth is, mashed potatoes are a slider food for me. They go down very easy and if I'm not careful to measure my portions, I could easily over-eat them.

Just start with very small bites and go slow to see how you do with them. I'll bet you're fine.

Thank you! I've been very careful measuring everything I eat, I just don't think I can handle eatting cottage cheese again today lol.

Do you have any suggestions on what else would be good to eat during the mushie stage?

Also have you ever had difficulty with potatoes prepared another way?

Thanks for your help :)

Don't forget scrambled eggs...soft and good for Protein. I'm also 11 days post op. Let me know how it goes. I'm so scared to eat anything.

Tammy

Thank you! I've been very careful measuring everything I eat, I just don't think I can handle eatting cottage cheese again today lol.

Do you have any suggestions on what else would be good to eat during the mushie stage?

Also have you ever had difficulty with potatoes prepared another way?

Thanks for your help :)

You're very welcome!

I've never had a problem with any kinds of potatoes, which is good because I eat baked or mashed potatoes a lot with my dinner.

For mushies, tuna or chicken salad that's really mushed up works great. Or, a chicken breast chopped up then put in a blender with a little chicken broth isn't bad either. Egg salad, again mushed up well, is another good one on the mushy phase.

For a sweet tooth, I liked the different sugar free puddings or even applesauce.

6wks post op and have no trouble with potatoes. Like Missy must measure out or will ovet eat.

on mushy stage I was told to make them a little runnier. Grits were a fave go to for me too. SF chocolate pudding very good! All the cream Soups good.

No problems for me with mashed pots.... I just limit myself to 1/4 of a cup.

Hi Court, omg Mashed Potatoes goo down sooooooo easy for me as well. I have to be super careful with them and 'measure' that is the key for me to keep me on track when it comes to these deeeelish spuds! LOL

I did refried beans....the canned ones without the skins....thinned out with NON chunky salsa....Spanish Gardens taco sauce has no chunks. I am a mexican fan so this hit the spot when I was on mushies. You could also put enchilada sauce over the refried Beans and mix that up to thin out. Ricotta cheese with spaghetti sauce over it warmed up is also good and slides right down. I wanted flavored food so I got creative. Creamed spinach is another good one. Several brands sell it frozen. She check for chunks as some brands can be chunky!! Cream of Wheat was another go to food for me! Good luck!!

Thank you everyone for the great ideas!

I guess I need to start being more creative. I haven't found myself to have much of an appetite these days or crave anything.. I just knew I had enough of cottage cheese lol.

I limited myself to 1/4 cup of the mashed potatoes and it deffinately hit the spot!

Limit mashed potatoes... too easy to overeat them as they are a slider.!

I am 12 days post op and I am in love with mashed cauliflower. I have also baked the cauliflower pieces in the oven and mashed them up with a lil bit of I cant believe its not butter and it was fabulous. Taste like baked potato. Good luck!

I make my mash taters with instant mixed with low sodium chicken brother and only eat 2 oz. My mom bought steamer packs of sweet potatos for Thanksgiving and that was ok too. Sometime things you just gotta try and start out with tiny bites.

I haven't been banded yet but this is great to get a head start for variety! I'm not whiz in the kitchen so i need ideas.

What about avocado thinned out with FF yoghurt and a little Water, to make a kind of guacamole? That might be a nice way to then moisten up chicken/fish? And perhaps a little non-chunky salsa and a sprinkle of FF cheese?

All within the cup limit of course.

:)

Don't forget to get the amount of Protein per your doctor. It should be the first thing you eat.