Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I Or Shouldn't I?

Basically the ultimate decision is yours and yours alone. Go with a small goal of ten pounds. The key to successful weight loss is not to stop when you see the scale stopping. Even with the band we go through periods of weight stalling and it can be discouraging and making you want to give up. You have to get your mind in sinc first. The band will not stop you from eating if you truly want to eat because unlike the other surgeries you still have the rest of your stomach and with slower eating you can still consume a large amount of food at one sitting. It won't get rid of your cravings, it won't make you not want to eat if you have head hunger. The thing is you have to want it and want it bad too with the band. If I would have only had 50lbs to lose and were as tall as you, I would consult a nutritionist and try to lose it on my own first. The food being around at your job has to become sickening to you so you won't want it. I don't know what to tell you honestly. I think weight loss is hard no matter what your decision is. But good luck on whatever you decide.

The band will not stop you from eating if you truly want to eat because unlike the other surgeries you still have the rest of your stomach and with slower eating you can still consume a large amount of food at one sitting. It won't get rid of your cravings, it won't make you not want to eat if you have head hunger. The thing is you have to want it and want it bad too with the band.

well said cheryl

i think alot of people want the band to solve (all their food issues)...it will help you feel full on less food but the person has to change what they eat (for better options that are healthy and more Protein to help with fullness) and then take responsibility for eating more than the allotted band amount. ...if one overeats on the band after surgery, its not the bands fault.

the band will work if you help it

if you come in saying i have no will power and already saying why it cant work..then you are doomed from the start. (food is not the enemy)

its all about want power

you either want to make yourself well by losing weight

and follow the guidelines given to you or you dont

I am in the process of doing the requirements before the surgery. I am not extremely obese either. I have diabetes which helps with my eligibility. I don't know if you have checked, but I would strongly advise you to have your thyroid checked. If your weight fluctuates often, it could be a thyroid issue. You may be able to control your weight if properly medicated. Just a thought. Millions of people have an issue with their thyroids and go undiagnosed.

I sit between a rock and a hard place when it comes to weight loss. I do have a thyroid issue and am diabetic. It is next to impossible to lose the weight. Before considering the lap band, I did the P90X, (lost 3lbs.), I tried the HCG drops (zero lbs lost), I was on prescription weight loss pills for 5 months. I lost 20lbs in the first 3 months but didn't lose another pound in the following 2 months. As soon as I went off the pills.. the 10-20lbs would always come back. Same with Zija, and a few other natural remedies.

I am not an overeater. I do like my chocolates and junk food each month (around shark week). I exercise on a regular basis. Now, I have been heavy for 6 years now. My decision to do the lap band wasn't an easy one. I had guilt from thinking there had to be something I could try that I just hadn't thought of yet. I know what my future looks like with diabetes. That alone makes my decision to get the band an easy one.

Ultimately, it is your decision to make. I would definitely do a blood panel to find out if you have any underlining issues that would affect your weight before doing a surgery... just a thought.

I had the surgery in August and I was bmi 31 with high cholesterol I have not looked back I was constantly yoyo dieting and mentally exhausted from always thinking diet diet

I now have confidence feel great eat small and I am soooo happy

As others have posted, a successful weight loss journey with the band requires significant lifestyle changes. Your original post indicates that you are currently working in an environment where your food triggers are constantly around you. Not an ideal situation unless you develop the willpower to say no to eating beyond what you should.

Weight loss with the band requires you to make good menu choices and manage your portions carefully, along with regular exercise. I also had health issues and was facing an official diagnosis of Type II diabetes which pushed me to choose to have my band placed.

I was pleased to read that you are carefully considering your options about the band surgery, for it is not without risks.

Previous to the band surgery, I had only had 1 surgery and 1 hospitalization all my adult life, with the exception of the birth of my children. Since having my band surgery, I have required 2 hospitalizations and 1 surgery. These were not directly caused by my band, however they were related to weight loss and the band increased the circumstances to the level of needing to be in the hospital.

Whatever your decision is, be certain that you approach it with an open mind and be certain that this choice is being made by your own motivation and not others.

Best wishes for your weight loss success...

I'm 5'6 and started considering LB when I weighed just under 200. That was 9 years ago and now I weigh 250.

I was the same way except I let it go for 20 years and ended up at 330. I was a grazer and at when bored. I started cutting certain things while making the decision and going through all the preop stuff. Having the surgery really brought reality to all of those thoughts of being stuck and other possible band problems. It scares the **** out of me so I am very careful and I think that fear has helped me to be so successful so quick. I never expected to lose as quickly as I have. Hope to be at goal by my first anniversary.

Do a lot of hard thinking, but I would also start tracking everything you are doing on MyFitnessPal so you really know. Make you commitment to exercise too, even if is just a little each day to start. I started at 10 minutes a day and now I do 1 to 1 1/2 hours each day.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I'm 5'6 and started considering LB when I weighed just under 200. That was 9 years ago and now I weigh 250.

I'm 5' 8'' and when I was 216 I was considered obese.. Even when I lost weight down to 186 I was still considered overweight... And I thought I looked great. Sometimes you can't always go off of the bmi table and u just have to go off of personal opinion.

However, when I was 216 I felt I was a lot bigger than I was. Now being 310 I'd give anything to be back at that weight.

This app is a great tool for some great advice. I wish I would have been more thankful for where I was when I was there. And I wish I would have made the changes then to a healthier lifestyle. Now instead of going over the hill I feel like I have a mountain to move :/... Best of luck to you and your decision...

I was considering lap band almost 12 months ago and was talked out of doing it. People saying oh you don't need to do something as drastic as a lap band. Just watch what you eat and exercise more. I got my self a personal trainer for 5 months. Well i lost a few kilos and have put it back on plus a couple more once I finished. I really wish I hadn't listened to those people I could have been well on my way with the lap band. All my life I've been over weight and yo-yo dieting and exercising like most here or I'm sure they wouldn't be on here. I don't want to yo-yo diet and exercise for the rest of my life. I would like a rather consistant life style. I want to feel good about myself. I don't want to get bigger and bigger over the years. I know it's going to be one hell of a journey and I'm ready to take that journey. I've done a LOT of research and have been reading everyones stories good and bad. You can't make a decision on only reading the positive stories.

People have made comments on here to you about maybe try eating better and exercising more ( hmmmm! I'm sure you thought of that be you made the next step to look into lap band. ) I'm sure they tried it too and look where they are now ( just like me ) and I bet they too wished they had of started earlier befor they got to where they are now. I'm sure some people feel a little offended that your bmi is on the lower side and they wished that when their bmi was at your number and that they exercised and ate better at your weight and it wouln't have gotten higher. I know from my own personal experiences that if someone that was smaller than me said that the were fat I would be saying to myself if you think you are what are you thinking about me. So I would feel a little offended and insecure. My point is - do what you feel is right for you. Don't be influenced on what people tell you to do. Listen to people's own personal stories and do your own research on Lapband out side of this forum too and do what you feel is best for you.

I have my appt to see the surgeon this coming Tues to discuss the option of having Lap Band Surgery. Good luck with your decision. I hope you do what's right for you. Good Luck on what you decide to do.

With a low bmi, you will probably have to be self pay. I paid $16,000 from my own pocket to get the band, I am 5'8" and right now can dream of being 200lbs. If I was 200 and wanted to lose more I am not sure I would have paid the $16,000..............