Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Cycling- An Experiment Gone Right!

My Atkins thinking...fat is good on low carb days. In fact they encourage it.

Jim, I was happy to see my high carb day in on Thanksgiving too! whooohoooooo!

My Atkins thinking...fat is good on low carb days. In fact they encourage it.

This is exactly what got me thinking about the fat content. I did Atkins too and I know fats were good on it. So, I did research, and it's true for any low carb at that level. The reason being is in the absence of carbs, the body needs fuel, and that is fat on low carbs days.

Plus, low fat foods are higher in carbs.

Are you doing 5 meals a day as Chris suggests? I don't think I will do that. Sticking to my 3 a day and a small snack. After all he didn't write that with Bandsters in mind. I figure for Breakfast I will add 2 slices of toast into the mix and on the high carb day a lean pocket for lunch. Depending on which one you have that can yield 40g of carb alone. I plan to start Sunday but I am little concerned because I have a fill appointment on Tuesday which is a high carb day. I am not sure I need a fill but if it happens then I am on liquids for that entire day. My appointment is for 8AM.

Are you doing 5 meals a day as Chris suggests? I don't think I will do that. Sticking to my 3 a day and a small snack. After all he didn't write that with Bandsters in mind. I figure for breakfast I will add 2 slices of toast into the mix and on the high carb day a lean pocket for lunch. Depending on which one you have that can yield 40g of carb alone. I plan to start Sunday but I am little concerned because I have a fill appointment on Tuesday which is a high carb day. I am not sure I need a fill but if it happens then I am on liquids for that entire day. My appointment is for 8AM.

No, there's no way I can do 5 meals. I am lucky to get 1000 calories a day on 3 meals and a small snack. I simply can't eat that much anymore.

I have known I'd have to change up the plan to fit my bandster lifestyle. Like the 3 meals rather than 5, less calories a day, and I am not cutting milk out of my diet either.

I'm pretty much sticking to high and low carb days, no more than 1300 calories a day (I don't come even close to that), no carbs after 6pm. In fact, I'm trying not to eat at all after dinner. For me, I think this is really important. I'm essentially going Atkins on the low carb days, high Protein and high fat but low carbs.

From everything I'm reading, trying to do both low carb and low fat is actually dangerous. It's very bad for internal organs, especially your heart, so it's important to get that fat in on low carb days. It's just very hard to wrap my brain around it, especially since high carb days are low fat.

I looked back at my other logs, and all last week I was eating between 50-60g of fat on the low carb days so it wasn't just the one day. Obviously, it worked too because I lost considerably.

One final note- I am down another half pound this morning, too.

Ok.... today is my first low carb day. Uff, I started looking at my food logs last night. Low carb is going to be different that's for sure. I've never been a carb counter. Don't pay any attention, just watch my calories and protien.

Got the book on my Kindle last night... just glanced at it, thanks for all the great info and input. It helps me wrap my head around all this!

That no carbs after supper is gonna get me!

Ok.... today is my first low carb day. Uff, I started looking at my food logs last night. Low carb is going to be different that's for sure. I've never been a carb counter. Don't pay any attention, just watch my calories and protien.

Got the book on my Kindle last night... just glanced at it, thanks for all the great info and input. It helps me wrap my head around all this!

That no carbs after supper is gonna get me!

I have never been a carb counter, either. I'm not going to lie, eating on the low carb days has been a bit of a struggle. But, as I find more stuff to eat that I actually like, it gets easier every day.

Here's the weird thing: Chris says that carb cycling will cut your carb cravings. I didn't think it was possible but he's very right. It's so odd but now, I honestly have no desire to do my nightly carb graze anymore.

Another thing I've noticed: On the low carb days, I spend the day with no appetite. The Protein is just so filling I have to actually remind myself to eat. On the high carb days, I'm a lot more hungry.

I too can only do the 3 meals and maybe a snack if I can get it in. I am very good with not eating after dinner, so I am safe there. I know eventually by the second week I am going to have to tweak this, especially since I am not a huge meat fan. That makes a huge difference especially for Proteins and fats.

So far day 3, I know its early to say, but I am not starving to death, however I feel some crashing today in my mood and it could be coming off the high carbs yesterday. I have some craving for sugar but that is natural since going from well over 100 to less than 30 grams of carbs. I just need to find a good balance so that I don't get the highs and the lows after high carb days. Its only been 1 high carb day passed so it may just be temporary (crossing fingers).

OKay, so I started on Saturday. I weighed myself yesterday at my dad's place (the only scale I weigh myself on). Halfway through my 4th day and I was already down 5.2 pounds! Wooohoooo!

I was a little worried too, because on my first low carb day I accidentally went over my target by about 25 carbs. Damn hidden carbs gah.... I won't make that mistake again.

I too can only do the 3 meals and maybe a snack if I can get it in. I am very good with not eating after dinner, so I am safe there. I know eventually by the second week I am going to have to tweak this, especially since I am not a huge meat fan. That makes a huge difference especially for Proteins and fats.

So far day 3, I know its early to say, but I am not starving to death, however I feel some crashing today in my mood and it could be coming off the high carbs yesterday. I have some craving for sugar but that is natural since going from well over 100 to less than 30 grams of carbs. I just need to find a good balance so that I don't get the highs and the lows after high carb days. Its only been 1 high carb day passed so it may just be temporary (crossing fingers).

It is. I seriously hated the first 2 low carb days, but now, I'm fine with them. I'm not a meat eater either, btw. I could honestly go the rest of my life without ever having red meat again and be fine with it.

That's part of why I couldn't cut dairy out of my diet I had to- it's a major source of Protein for me.

Missy, I know I just am desperate to start losing weight again. It is so frustrating and discouraging when I am doing everything right, you know that more than anyone, that is why we are all here reaching out. A change up can't hurt and if the scale numbers go down I will be sooo happy. Enough of me whinning for now....

Missy, I know I just am desperate to start losing weight again. It is so frustrating and discouraging when I am doing everything right, you know that more than anyone, that is why we are all here reaching out. A change up can't hurt and if the scale numbers go down I will be sooo happy. Enough of me whinning for now....

Hon you are not whining. Plateaus suck something wicked. I thought I might lose my mind when the scale didn't move for over 5 weeks. I'm just hoping this carb cycling gets us all not only past the plateaus but moving consistently downward on the scale, too.

Considering I'm now down about 10 pounds in less than 2 weeks, I'd say so far me it's working.

10lbs is suuuuuper fantastic in just less than 2 weeks! whoohooo!

I guess after losing steadily and hitting my very first plateau, I wasn 't expecting. I keep thinking to myself "oh I am still very very overweight this weight will fly off of me fast. Well, reality set in and I will never think that way again. I am really looking forward to my weigh in on Saturday, honestly its the only thing that keeps me focused and want to keep going :)

10lbs is suuuuuper fantastic in just less than 2 weeks! whoohooo!

I guess after losing steadily and hitting my very first plateau, I wasn 't expecting. I keep thinking to myself "oh I am still very very overweight this weight will fly off of me fast. Well, reality set in and I will never think that way again. I am really looking forward to my weigh in on Saturday, honestly its the only thing that keeps me focused and want to keep going :)

When I hit my first plateau, I still weighed over 340 pounds!! Believe me, it happens to everyone regardless of how much you still have to lose.

It sure does. I've been flirting in the 357 to 353 range for almost two months.