Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 8 days post-op and am very worried. I am hungry and seem like all I can think about is when I can eat real food. I am really worried I will not be successful. I find myself picking at stuff I shouldn't be and getting very depressed. Any advice??

Remind yourself everything you're going through is normal, including the hunger.

However, also remind yourself you're on a restricted diet right now to allow your stomach time to heal. It has been stitched and is swollen, and it's imperative you stick to your surgeon's post op diet without cheating so you give it time to heal.

You can do this.

I was just gonna post about what day after post op you start to get hungry.. Im not hungry yet but im only 3 days out and my tummy just growled for the first time..i might try some chicken broth tmrrw..i still have shldr gas twinges..so annoying..and bloated..havnt lost an ounce and Im actually up a couple pounds..also, I cant burp..i get this weird chest hiccup..

Can you remove foods not on your plan from the house if you can't stop yourself from eating them? You can't eat what you don't have. The post op diet sucks. We all admit that. I would recommend eating more of the foods you are allowed (space out your eating) rather than moving a head in the food schedule.

I feel if I take the food out of the house, that will be punishing my family. I can't make them eat broth all day, lol. I know I need to do this for myself but I am caught between not knowing how much to eat, afraid to eat too much, trying not to gain weight, etc...

I feel if I take the food out of the house, that will be punishing my family. I can't make them eat broth all day, lol. I know I need to do this for myself but I am caught between not knowing how much to eat, afraid to eat too much, trying not to gain weight, etc...

Measure your food, use a child's plate and eat slow. Sorry, I didn't see if you were on food yet. When I was on mushies and drinks, I ate every two hours for the first two months. Less then a cup of food every two hours and always had a drink in my hand. Food, then Water, then Protein Drink and start over. You will have to make changes gradually for the first several months until you get to the point where you can eat a cup of food and not be hungry for several hours. It is a lot of mind over matter at first and habits you will need to break. Find other things to keep your mind off food. Good luck!

Measure your food, use a child's plate and eat slow. Sorry, I didn't see if you were on food yet. When I was on mushies and drinks, I ate every two hours for the first two months. Less then a cup of food every two hours and always had a drink in my hand. Food, then Water, then Protein drink and start over. You will have to make changes gradually for the first several months until you get to the point where you can eat a cup of food and not be hungry for several hours. It is a lot of mind over matter at first and habits you will need to break. Find other things to keep your mind off food. Good luck!

I by no means want to tell you to change what your doctor has told you to do, but my doctor instructed me to try each stage of the eating...clear, liquids, mush, and so on for two to three days each...and slowly move on. I didn't have to do a week at a time. Actually, I am two weeks and one day out from my surgery and I have been eating real food since about day 4 to 6. I did begin to feel a little hungry around day 8...and I was craving sweets like CRAZEE! I bought some popsicles and they seem to do the trick to help my cravings before I was completely on solid food. It will get better!!!!! I don't have very many sweet cravings now...

I am 8 days post-op and am very worried. I am hungry and seem like all I can think about is when I can eat real food. I am really worried I will not be successful. I find myself picking at stuff I shouldn't be and getting very depressed. Any advice??

Yes, look in the mirror and ask yourself do I want this? If the answer is yes (& I know it is) then you can do this!

Drink lots of Water, keep yourself busy and when you feel at your wits end get on lbt, we will help you through this. It is only temporary and it will go by so fast. Trust me it seems like just yesterday I was in your shoes, but it's been 9 months since I was banded.... man does time fly.

You can do this!!!!! You want this, you will get through this. Hugs for you!

Even at three years post op I still get hungry. I can not wrap my head around this why people think they will never be hungry. Hunger is the bodies natural response to lack of food. You may not eventually be hungry as often but you will still get hungry. You have to just try to hang in there in these first few months after surgery but to think you will never be hungry again is a lot of people's misconception.

Even at three years post op I still get hungry. I can not wrap my head around this why people think they will never be hungry. Hunger is the bodies natural response to lack of food. You may not eventually be hungry as often but you will still get hungry. You have to just try to hang in there in these first few months after surgery but to think you will never be hungry again is a lot of people's misconception.

Well really I never felt hunger cuz I was always eating. And I'm obese. Not hard to figure out at all. When we feel that new feeling called hunger it must mean we are close to death right!? ;)

I've been hungry since day one of preop and I'm friggin proud of it too, means I'm sticking to the plan. Not playing around, not whining. Not trying to outsmart the diet... Just getting on with it!

Some people just have the misconception that after they get the band they will never get hungry and that is not true. You're going to get hungry maybe not as often but you will get hungry. I love feeling hungry.