Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you not willing to give up?

This is so true.

I don't want to give up fast food. (out food) - I mean I say it's because of my job entertaining clients, eating out with them, traveling hours to see them etc.

I eat almost all my meals out - I'm single/no kids, travel a bunch so eating out is easiest for me.

And a lot of people have given me suggestions on how take along food.... but honestly I just don't want too. I think there should be a way around this - like for example I can make better decision at each resturant?

I just go with an appetizer (or half appetizer) or a kids' portion. I ate at home mostly only during the liquids phase and once I was on mushies - I hit the Soup menus and went on my way. :hungry:

The one thing I didn't want to give up: my glass of wine with dinner...Makes me feel civilized and I told my surgeon before LapBanding. His feeling is as long as I compensate for the carbs elsewhere, then a glass of wine isn't detrimental.

Happy Band Journeys to All

chocolate ~ Definitely a MUST have for me, especially during my cycle. I can get by with 1-2 hersey kisses....really....I've done it before. :confused: After talking with the dietitian though, I am going to try the Viactiv and see if that works for me after I get the band.

coffee ~ I also need at least ONE cup a day to get me going

I'm just 5ish weeks in... I've given up pretty much everything I truly enjoyed before - my Diet Coke, especially, and my beloved Chipotle burritos (loving the bol though). The one thing I can't do is fat free dairy, except for the milk (Vines - we'd make good roomies in that regard!) I've tried fat free mayo, fat free cottage cheese, fat free sour cream, fat free cheese -- I just can't make myself eat it, I can barely stand the low fat stuff, so in those categories I'm still eating the full fat stuff.

My saving grace is that I still have no appetite, even this far out. Most days I just don't get hungry at all, and have to make myself eat something. When I do get hungry, I'm full within 4 or 5 bites. So the good news is that I don't feel too bad about eating full fat because I'm only eating an ounce or so.

I haven't drank milk since I was about 12 or 13. Now if I try to drink whole milk (buy it for DH) it's soooo thick, it's like a milkshake. 2% is too thick also. I don't care for the taste of milk, but I have been using Hood CarbCountdown fat free milk for my Protein drinks.

Not usre I feel that I've given up anything else, because if I really wanted it I could have it... just not wanting it. I'm enjoying wearing these smaller sizes too much right now. :confused:

Heh. I just have to comment on the Soup, not that my comment is constructive, lol. I eat soup when I'm out... so that when I forget to chew I don't damage myself TOO much! What IS it about being with people that makes me forget my rules?

What I won't give up: dark chocolate (yum!), real cheese, a glass of Diet Coke a week (I let it go flat... I want the flavor). Eating out.

I haven't actually had the dark chocolate yet... but it's in the cupboard, ready to go! In the past when dieting, I use the Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips & get 2-5 a day, depending on my mood. So far the mood hasn't struck me... I'm going with it. :)

Neither Mikey nor I like to cook... so we eat out a LOT. Or do frozen meals. We're trying to make healthier choices, but to be honest, we'll lose either way (at least until we get MUCH smaller). Having 1 frozen meal instead of 4 makes a difference!

:ranger:

The thing that comes to mind the quickest is coffee. PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY COFFEE......

I'm with you there Paulax....I went from a full pot of coffee in the morning to :cup::cup: 2 cups in a single cup brewer just to curb my addiction some...oh and 2 cups at night lol:tea:

A man a plan a canal, Panama

It seems we're a little unhappy with the skinny folk. Maybe they aren't thinking about you at all, as they run on the treadmill.

An old saying "If you concern yourself with what people are think of you remember how seldom they do"

I am not planning on giving up anything in moderation. I haven't had an adjustment yet though so I guess my band will tell me what I can and can't eat. But besides the actual demands of the band, I plan on having all my favorites that I can tolerate in much smaller portions. I believe in calories in, calories out. Just look at the French, they eat incredibly fatty pastries, cheese, cream sauces, and indulge in wine every single day, and yet they are thin. This is because they only ingest 1,200 per day on average! As their regular diet! Since I plan on counting calories, I see no reason why I should not have whatever I want as long as it fits into my daily calorie limit. As for exercise, I don't think I can lose weight without it, so I've been going to the gym every day. I hate it, but I see it as a necassary evil. The one thing I am trying to give up is carbonation, since it seems almost universally accepted that it has the potential to cause harm.

I am not planning on giving up anything in moderation. I haven't had an adjustment yet though so I guess my band will tell me what I can and can't eat. But besides the actual demands of the band, I plan on having all my favorites that I can tolerate in much smaller portions. I believe in calories in, calories out. Just look at the French, they eat incredibly fatty pastries, cheese, cream sauces, and indulge in wine every single day, and yet they are thin. This is because they only ingest 1,200 per day on average! As their regular diet! Since I plan on counting calories, I see no reason why I should not have whatever I want as long as it fits into my daily calorie limit. As for exercise, I don't think I can lose weight without it, so I've been going to the gym every day. I hate it, but I see it as a necassary evil. The one thing I am trying to give up is carbonation, since it seems almost universally accepted that it has the potential to cause harm.

I agree... and I also think the low-fat craze was a huge mistake. I'd like to go back to eating real unprocessed food but on the other hand I don't want to cook... In California they have a lot more resturants that serve real food (since it's trendy) I hope the trend spreads to Kentucky.... we're sometimes slow on getting that type of stuff and some of use still wear 80's hair so it could be awhile.

Well Im giving up $16250.00 because im selfpay!!!And thats alot of money but I hope worth it.

I don't ever go to fast food restaurants, so I won't miss them. What I will miss, however, is my diet Cherry-Vanilla Dr. Pepper. Now that I know I can have some if I let it go flat, I'm OK with it I think. I can't imagine it will taste nearly as good though. Fortunately I love cranberry and grape juice. I can't give up my coffee either, even though one cup is plenty for me in the morning. My worse habit is turning myself around and learning to eat in the daytime instead of at night. I guess if there is anything I crave it is salt and I therefore love potato chips....I haven't heard anyone mention them, nor peanuts which have lots of Protein. Is it possible to eat peanuts if you chew really, really good?

I am not willing to give up being skinny and keeping this fat ass......I have been trying sooooooooo hard to do everything right, Maybe 1 day out of the week i do something that i am not supposed to. good luck to everyone, lets stay focused and stay determined....

Hey, great palindrome, Tommy! And excellent quote, too. But I'll stick to my paranoid excuse to stay off the treadmill. :)

I am not willing to give up coffee. They made me for 3 months pre and post banding. It was awful. I had to drink Decaf which is just crap if you ask me. I drink it and I am gonna keep drinking it, the real columbian stuff. Cant make me quit.

StrawartS - just had to tell you this, I just learned this recently.... I, like you thought that exercise high was a ton of bullsh!t, not just a load but ton. I have been walking 3 miles on the treadmill, walking to nowhere does not bother me. What bothers me is the sweating and the simple act of exercising so this has been quite the chore for me. When I walk I have to literally force myself to get on, then I say to myself I will just do 1/2 hour today. The first 15 minutes are pure hell, but I make them then push through to the next 15 minutes. Then I say, what the heck, I am half way there so I will do 15 more then get off, (45 minutes, that is good right?) By time I get to that 45 minutes I FEEL good - mind you I am totally sweaty and gross but I feel good, I feel like nothing can stop me (its freakish really). This has just started happening to me recently. I find that I actually look forward to that "feeling". I think that is the high they are talking about and like you, I never thought that existed. Now I am rethinking about that whole "high" thing.

p.s. I still totally hate sweating tho I guess no high can fix that.