Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Told To Stop Jogging

i agree with everyone else makes no sense at all i wasnt losing much at all till i started walking fast and jogging and i love it .

I just met with my nutritionist yesterday who 1) strongly encourages exercies - - besides my doctor having my sign a contract before surgery that I would do my best to get in at least 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week.

My normal routine has been to jog every day for a half hour. My nutritionist looked at my food intake and exercise and recommended (since I've been on a plateau for 8 weeks) that I cut my jogging back to 2 days a week, add in the elliptical a day or two, then do an all-over workout the other day (I do the "Insanity" program). She said that our bodies used to certain motions, and that changing up my routine to get off the plateau was necessary.

She (or anyone else in their right mind) would never discourage good cardio such as jogging, she just suggested I add in other things. Maybe your PA wasn't thinking clearly. I would get another opinion.

Also - are you comfortable not seeing the surgeon? I don't think I would go for that...I know that PA's are well qualified, but I wouldn't feel good not touching base with my surgeon.

i just saw my band Dr for my 10 month checkup. ive lost 57 lbs and hes thrilled that ive taken up running !!! i think you need to find another Dr who is a little more understanding and open minded. ive never seen a study like the one your dr is talking about, and who wouldnt encourage a healthy exercise ?? you go girl, and you go get healthy !! good for you !!!

My Dr. would love you. He says "calories in, calories burned" for weight loss. I think you are doing great! Smile when they tell you to cut back on exercise, and do what you enjoy! Which is better than what I do, I agree to exercise, don't, and then wonder why this "tool" is working! LOL

Changing up the routine makes sense to trick our muscles. Stopping is crazy. Have you signed up for a local run? Try a 10k or 1/2 and get training.

It is a proven fact that running drops weight faster than anything, especially belly fat. ( as long as we don't overcompensate by eating more)

I would change my focus and have some fun. You'd be surprised at how fast you change too.

I run daily. I have lost 130 lbs in 8 months. I started with walking...then walk and jog intervals. I can now run 10K in an hour. Whoever told you to stop running is an idiot no matter how many degees they have.

I run daily. I have lost 130 lbs in 8 months. I started with walking...then walk and jog intervals. I can now run 10K in an hour. Whoever told you to stop running is an idiot no matter how many degees they have.

AMEN!

I am curious to know why they PA told you that. Maybe you can ask when you stop in to pick up your medical records to take to your new dr.

Just a caution, if you are unhappy with your surgeon's staff you may want to discuss it with Him or her before you bail. But whatever you do do not go without a drs support. Find another before you make a move. Good luck

I started jogging again! Thanks for all the encouragement. There was never talk of changing up my routine or the discussion of how my muscles could memorize my routine and lose its effect. It is their new data and that is what they push. I agree I do need to see the Dr, I only saw him for my one year follow up. They give fills by eye balling it and after reading these posts I wonder if my fills were done accurately, they have never used a machine to view my port. I used to complain that I would get sick to my stomach after a fill and they would say they aren't related. I

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I could have swore they were related as it happened a few times. That PA is no longer there, matter of fact no one I started out with is there. I wonder why all have left? This message was not pushed with the old staff. I will say I don't care for the new staff, they make me feel un welcomed, rushed, and like what I say is unimportant. I feel like I am annoying them with my questions or when I question their new theories. It's one sided. When I'm in the office I don't speak up to that as it takes me time to really get ast the " did they just say what I think I heard?" Then by that time I'm gone. My appointments last like 3 minutes since my dilated esophagus. I am going to keep jogging and search for a different office with medical records in hand. This is a hard journey and with little support from the office makes it that much harder. It's like learning to et all over again and being told you over eat and your exercise routine is wrong hurts. No applause for the added effort,just told not on the right track. Thank you all for listening.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I feel so lucky. I see Dr. Ray in Bloomington Indiana. They have been so amazing and supportive and attentive thus far. I have never had any of these issues. I am 3 weeks out at this point and could never imagine Dr. Ray or any of his staff being this misinformed or uncaring. You deserve better! Take your records and run. I would also put your complaints in an email to the doctor. If you are gonna leave, share your experience so maybe they can improve and work on not letting your experience happen to the patients that use this facility in the future!