Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions Questions Questions!!

Where to begin, I go in to see my doctor this week to talk about possible lap band surgery. I have been overweight nearly my entire life, but after having my son it has gotten more out of control then I would have imagined. I have a BMI of 49 I'm 5'4 and weigh about 280 pounds. I'm just looking more for answers on how recovery went after surgeries since I will be chasing around a toddler and how long it will take. I want personal opinions on hopefully people similar size to myself with excess skin and how they handled that. And any words of wisdom or insight... my weight has always been a personal struggle mentally and physically for myself and I'm hoping to change my life to better myself, my son and my family.

Im curious to know the same thing.. Im 297, my surgery date is 10/17. I have 2 small children also,, 5 and 18 months,,, hope fully this will go smooth.. I DO believe this has been the best decision i have made for myself,, since usually im last on the totem pole.. Good luck to you...... DO IT!

Hi! I researched and went to seminars twice in two years before I finally made the decision and got insurance to cover it. BEST decision I ever made in my life!!!! Has it been totally easy? NO! Is it hard work? YES! But, is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! I have messed up a few times through trial and error but thank goodness it has been forgiving and I didn't mess up too bad ie....eating to fast or not chewing well enough and getting stuck. Even with all that I'm so thankful to have my band!!! I feel like finally I have the help I need and psychologically it's my key to keep me on track. I watch at family functions as people load their plates nod and eat all that food and talk about how stuffed they are and I take small bites and I no longer feel stuffed only satisfied! I also eat whatever I want and don't deprive myself but now I decide if its a healthy choice or not. I weigh my options. I use myfitnesspal everyday to track. I am five months post op and I have lost 51 lbs. I couldn't do without my Lapband. I am 5'2 and started at this is a great place to help you make decisions after getting all your facts. Good luck with your journey!!!!.

I had alot of the same questions...Im 54 yrs old 5'1" and weighed 257 ( hence my name) and I have 5 young children one handicapped one...I chose lap band for the main reason I could be back on my feet faster....I did have to go 3 weeks with out lifting more then 15 lbs...I tryed my best but of course we do what we have to do....I did lift my son a few times when nessasary....but it was just fine....best thing I have ever done for myself ......Good luck with your desicion

I agree totally with everything the other posters said I Love my Band but it is only a tool that helps you lose. Do what they tell you to do eat what they say and how much they say.................. It is no walk in the park but 3 years down the road you will get sick when you see others eating that full plate of food like you use to.

I went to an Oktoberfest last weekend and I ate a small portion of everything when everyone else was eating seconds and apple crisp and ice cream I asked for more red cabbage not because I had to but I went for what tasted good to me that apple crisp was just to sweet in my before life nothing was ever to sweet......

My suggestion write a list of all the reasons you want surgery and refer to it when days get tough. Put down everything and check by it when it happens Best of Luck

I am 9 days post op. I took pain meds for 1 day after surgery. I went back to work 3 days later. Trapped gas was an issue but is resolved daily walking a little.

Excess skin seems to be less of an issue the younger you are and the more active you are but it is also a little bit nature.

Lap band allows you to have a powerful tool. No malabsorption but you do need to follow the rules. Protein, Vitamins etc.

You'll be around a long time for your kids too!

Thank you guys so much it means a lot to hear your words of encouragement. I feel like I have been going over the pros and cons for a while now and can't seem to find any cons lol @ BaningMi thats my biggest fear thar i wont be there for when my children get older. So im hoping and praying that this will be the answer to my prayers at starting the new life that not only i deserve, but my son and husband as well. I owe it to myslef after all the damage i have already done.

Thank you guys so much it means a lot to hear your words of encouragement. I feel like I have been going over the pros and cons for a while now and can't seem to find any cons lol @ BaningMi thats my biggest fear thar i wont be there for when my children get older. So im hoping and praying that this will be the answer to my prayers at starting the new life that not only i deserve' date=' but my son and husband as well. I owe it to myslef after all the damage i have already done.[/quote']

You do owe it to yourself. It's a journey well worth it!

UPDATE: Spoke to my doctor today and she believes that the surgery is a good idea!! Im very excited, nervous and very relieved! I have to make a few phone calls to see if they have the proper surgeon due to the fact that we are currently stationed overseas!! So Fingers crossed I will get good news!! Thanks again ladies!!