Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The "easy" Way Out...

I get so annoyed when I hear people say that we are taking the easy way out! Not a darn thing is easy about it! I still have to do everything anyone else would do to lose weight. It's not some magical band that makes us lose weight while we sit on the couch eating ice cream watching home improvement reruns (I wish!). We all have to work, I just think of it as a helping hand! It's very easy to cheat the band, we still need to tell ourselves no and work out and eat healthy! It's certainly not the easy way out. I just needed to rant! :) * steps off soap box*

I wholeheartedly agree. Some people can be very judgemental when they don't have any firsthand knowledge of what really is involved. Is it really any different than a smoker trying to quit and using the patch, or someone working out and using a personal trainer, or someone who suffers from anxiety or depression that takes medication for it? We all have our vices or challenges and need help in someway to overcome or manage them.

Kudos to all of us for doing something about ours and trying to improve our quality and quantity of life!! :) ... back off my soapbox

Well... they drive a car, use a vacuum cleaner, dishwasher, washing machine. There are certainly the good old fashioned hard work ways to doing all these things but some genius invented items that make our lives easier.... so why is a weight loss tool any different. When they start beating their laundry on a rock, then I'll listen. People are soooo judgemental, but really... it's ignorance.

Keep up the good fight ladies!

I agree but I also disagree.

It must be easier than losing and keeping weight off without a band as none of us were successful with that.

But there are a lot of things that are/were really hard:-

2 weeks preop on a Meal Replacement program - my record prior to this would have been 2 - 3 days at the most.

Going through surgery, nerves, pain,nausea - easy? No way

The post op diet - that was hell, especially when you have a husband that decides to bake muffins 1 week post op.

Getting stuck - easy? Well yes - getting unstuck maybe not so easy!

Going for a fill - the process is easy but the time and everything it takes is a pain.

Going to a restaurant and choosing the thing on the menu that will go down the easiest - painfull.

Getting stuck when you are around others - embarassing.

But the actual weightloss, well that has been far easier than on any diet I have done previously. Maintaining - maybe not so easy.

So I supoose it all comes down to your definition of easy and what you are/n't prepared to do.

Do not worry about any of them.....this is the whole reason why I chose not to tell many, only 1 person in my family knows and that's the only person who will know, as she is a well educated health care professional who understands.

Most people who claims this is the easy way out, I say are not educated...if not in general, but at least on the subject. You need to ask them what is so easy about having surgery? Surgery is not a light thing, there are lots of risks involved....and you need to tell them before they judge they need to do their research....the band is a medical tool, as any other medical tools needed by individuals to achieve a goal.... whether it's weight loss or a piece of equipment to keep the heart in check. Some are elective yes, but if that tool is able to improve someone's health just as a pace maker...then nothing is wrong with it.

If they don't like your choice, that is their problem, let them stress over it while your health keeps improving, let them get to the point of having multiple health issues and need to be on many medications, they will be the same individuals turning to you asking questions on how to go through the process.....Keep your head up, don't let them annoy you...cause at the end of the day it is all about YOU.....when you struggling, it's not their issues, your health issues are not theirs ...so let them say you took the easy way out, but you took the smart way out, cause you will not have any health issues associated with being over weight..... KEEP THOSE NEGATIVE BEINGS FAR FROM YOU....they are the ones who will drag you down, stay positive!!!

This is why I choose not to share my story with my coworkers and acquaintances

I have had people giving me advise to lose weight for years

and I feel I am an olympic gold metal dieter and as we all know diets don't work.

Life style changes do and this band has allowed me a tool to change my life

(with a lot of my work as well)

This is my story and no one else but my family

was with me jumping through all the hoops so I want this to all

be for and about me my health and my family!

Do not allow others to discourage you...yes, you can do this! We all can do this!

Girl preach on!!!

I totally agree. I've lost almost 150 pounds, I still have over 100 to go, and let me tell you not a single moment of it has been remotely "easy". Four weeks of liquids post op, measuring every thing I eat and logging every single calorie for the last 9 months. Don't even get me started on sitting at a restaurant frantically looking up food on Lose It to try to order something that won't bust my daily calorie budget. Or worse, praying I don't get stuck while eating in public.

I had a birthday party for my son here this past weekend. My house was stuffed with cake, candy, chips, ice cream, and pizza. I had a single piece of pizza for dinner and small piece of cake, which is great. The problem is, all the leftovers don't just poof when the guests do, so I was left with a kitchen that turned into one big binge temptation. Yesterday I finally couldn't take it and threw it all out.

And the expense!! I have had to replace my entire wardrobe a couple times. I even had to replace every single pair of shoes I owned. Fall came and I didn't have a single long sleeved shirt or even a sweater that wasn't 6 sizes too big. Because I'm not done losing, I'll have to replace it all yet again come spring. I love shrinking sizes but it's not cheap!!

I love my band and would do it again in a heart beat, but nothing about it has been "the easy way out".

Easy way out my A**!!! Another one that gets me, "it's not natural". That was from my own mother!! Is it "natural" to be so overweight??? No way!! I was banded July 23, down 50 lbs including pre op diet. It hasn't been "easy" but it's been the best decision I have ever made!!! :)

Agreed! Until someone walks in our shoes they will never understand. It's easy to judge and most people have that mastered now they just need to work on themselves.

Well for me it has been the easy way out, and I just love it. It is easier than having and raising children. it is easier than going through a divorce. It is easier than living with all the issues and health problems overweight can cause. It's easier than going through a family tragedy. I have maintained my weight loss for 7 years now. and it has been easy, really easy.

Thank you for posted this, I really need it. I had some mix feelings about my decision. I know it's a good decision, don't regret it. But, I had this feeling of not taking responsability for my actions, and use a "easy" way out to fix my overweight, but as everybody mentioned is nothing easy about it..

Thank you again!