Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating solids 2 weeks after surgery

Hello all,

I had my lap band put in March 9 th and I am doing very well. The problem is that I started mushies and now I am up to solids faster than my doc advises. I feel very guilty and I am going to call my doc about it tomorrow. I have a full feeling early on and know when to stop and I chew chew chew. I am discouraged because I am not loosing weight now and I worry that I could be hurting myself. Any thoughts? Advice?

hey chops...me and you are in the same boat. I was banded march 13th, and started mushies and found myself eating solids very carefully. I chew to the point of liquifying.

Before surgery, the nurse at the doc's office told me that post op mushies can include about anything, as long as it goes in the blender first. My mind processed that as ... #1 making sure the food is in tiny particals. Well, I am doing that.

Chops, let us know what your doc says!!

My doctor said solid foods cause the stomach to flex during the process of digestion. The idea behind waiting to eat solid food is to give the stitches holding your band in place time to completely heal and for the tissue stitched over the band time to build up scar tissue which keeps the band from slipping. I'd stay on liquid or mushies longer if I were you. Depending, of course, on what your doctor tells you. I had surgery on March 7th and I'm still on full liquids until this Tuesday or Wednesday. I'd really, really like to eat mushies right now but I'm more interested in keeping my band so I'm going to follow my doctor's instructions to a "T".

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Hey lambchops, I'm with you and Mini Me! I was suppossed to be on mushies for 2 weeks before advancing to soft foods and I did them for like 4 days.

Let us know what your doc says!

:) Kristin

Ok, got the word from my very supportive doctor. Eating solids is fine as long as you CHEW. He suggests blender food as a lot of people need to learn to chew the food. He says I will not slip my band and I will not expand my stomach pouch. I feel better...:) Keep in mind your doc may have other ideas, this was jsut my experience!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Thank goodness. I will respect that my doc may have a different opinion, but I am so glad your doc says it is ok as long as i chew chew chew, which I do...probably way too much!! Better safe than sorry!

My doctor let me go on solids way early. His main concern was that I wasn't going to throw-up or PB... he said that is what tears the stitches not the digetion process.

Since solids went down without any problem he said "A - OK"... though I would ask yokur doctor and not take any of our advices.

I was banded on March 7 & it seems my doctor is moving me along faster than others here, they let me go on solids this weekend. I had some tuna yesterday - I chewed it really really well and was full after a few bites but it went down OK.