Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Feel Like You Did The Right Thing?

Thanks for these replys. I just 4 days post-op, but starting to feel if I did the right thing. I am still feeling very tired. I try to walk around the house, but I feel tired. I could sleep most of the day. Reading these post give me some inspiration.

I think all of us newbies feel that way. I feel so not myself 5 days out and asked hubbie the same thing. He said think about the health benefits and they outweigh this momentary sad period. I just keep sipping along and will see my doctor and also let him know how I feel. I am sure this is nothing different than what he has already heard.

I appreciate too having people to share this with, what a great worldwide family.

I was pretty outgoing' date=' confident, and more spirited when I was bigger. I was never the "woe is me because i'm morbidly obese" type of gal. However, I became "woe is me" after this whole process... I had major cabin fever doing the pre-op stages and def missed end of summer prepping for it. I got banded on 9/11 and My birthday was yesterday.. No I didn't have cake but I didn't even make a wish...not even over a Protein shake. I spent myybirthday in bed crying watching full episodes of trashy vh1 shows... I don't want to say the d word but .. I'm feeling pretty depressed and lonely. I can't help but to wonder.. is being "skinny" and "healthy" worth it? I can't wait to have more up beat posts but I'm having a really hard time.. Has anyone experienced the same? I just feel stuck..

p.s. i can't have a glass of wine eventually - 6 months in?[/quote']

You are starting a lifestyle change. It's natural to have mixed emotions. It's not about bring skinny; it's being healthy. Having a band will not stop you from some of the things you like. It just makes you aware that you have to consume in moderation and be mindful of what you have. The band is a life changing tool. We all adjust to change differently and once you get use to your band and see how helpful it can be, I'm sure you will love it. That confidence that you have will be there X 10. Good luck and welcome to the band wagon!

I feel like I have done the right thing for me. I can't remember the last time I lost 17 lbs and I'm looking forward to many more pounds.

Thanks everyone for these comments! It's extremely refreshing to know that i'm not having abnormal feelings/thoughts/emotions through this process... It's even more refreshing to know that it does get better! What it comes down to is..I really need to practice patience.. and I will try my hardest!

To the people who are currently in the same boat (and obvi to anyone else) always feel free to add me as a friend and message me. Especially if you need to confide in someone who is going through the exact same thing!

Again' date=' I love you all! I don't throw the word "love" around usually.. but I'm so relieved that I've found the support that I've been desperately looking for! Family, friends, and co-workers..they are awesome and are definitely considered supporters. However, they truly don't understand this life changing experience that we chose for ourselves. [/quote']

I was going crazy with boredom! ! The only thing I could do was do me. I got back to the gym on day 5, went to a movie hung out with my niece & nephew....

I know that we are all making huge changes, BUT I know that I am also very much the same person. I needed to feed my mental & emotional sides as well as the physical pieces!!

Try to keep perspective ... you didn't lose the end of summer preparing... you spent valuable time working on you!! C'mon!! Ya know we women suck at taking care of ourselves!

You also will GAIN so much more for next summer! Think about the longer walks, beach days, no more praying your butt fits an amusement park ride... You are just setting up 2013 to be awesome -- all four seasons! !

I'm very happy for everyone here who are successfully losing the weight! It gives me hope that I too will be a successful lap band patient! I've only lost 5lbs since i've been banded (9/11) and I'm hoping with my first fill I will actually lose more.. "more" to the point that I will actually reach my short term goal of being under 200lbs by mid december.

Sometimes I wonder "Did the surgeon forget to put the band in?" My appetite is so severe that I've been eating.. and eating well! With out any complications... Idk what to do,

I do have my good days and that usually happens when someone compliments me on my weight loss.. but then I have my bad days (like today) when I eat solid foods when I shouldn't. Maybe, I should go back to replacing two meals with Protein shakes?? I feel like that's the only thing that works when it comes to losing weight. But s**t, does that mean I have to be the special cases that stays on Protein Shakes?

Has anyone else had a severe appetite before their first fill? And find that the fill really did help?

I have a meeting with my dietician this week and boy am I nervous! This is harder than I thought.. like really hard!

Love,

Keep hope alive

I was a happy fat person and now I am a happy skinnier person. I feel and act the same way as I did before. I have same money problems, marriage problems, kid problems.

Not that much has changed except that I eat alot less, I can fit into way cuter clothes, my feet and knees don't hurt as much (but I am 46, so I can't rid of all the aches and pains, but they are alot better than before).

This is a life altering event, but only to a certain extent. You only have to change what you want to change. The first few weeks you are healing and any type if surgery can make you and your body feel like it's the end of the world. but that will go away and then you need to decide how you want to make this work for you and not let it take over who you are. I am conscious if my band everyday every meal, but that is because I don't want to make a mistake and abuse it. I don't make healthy choices all the time, but I make smart choices where I can't hurt my band. I don't overeat and I try and stay away from stuff that will get stuck.

you will feel better as u move along and get used to it being a part of you. good.luck

I also feel very hungry and my doctor said that's normal and it will go away after my first fill. I tried to do shakes if I really get hungry in between meals but especially at night it when I'm mostly hungry so I have a shake before bed some times. Nobody ever said that this was going to be a quick fix its really HARD work so keep your head up and when you have a bad day try to make the next day a better one. Good luck and stay positive!!

Thanks everyone! I feel like my dietitian is putting pressure on me to lose weight quickly.. so it gives me mild anxiety.

I was supposed to lose 10lbs and was given two weeks to do so. I've lost ZERO! Has anyone else given a specific weight to lose (by dietitian or surgeon) after their two week post-op?

That is interesting. Why are they making you lose weight? If we could do that, we would not have gone through with getting this "tool" inserted to aid us in losing weight.

Thanks everyone! I feel like my dietitian is putting pressure on me to lose weight quickly.. so it gives me mild anxiety.

I was supposed to lose 10lbs and was given two weeks to do so. I've lost ZERO! Has anyone else given a specific weight to lose (by dietitian or surgeon) after their two week post-op?

The LB pamphlet says 1-2 lbs per week, so I think they are being a little unreasonable.

I was never put on the spot to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain time frame. That is a bit unrealistic since everyone loses at a different pace and different ways.

For the first six months I was very diligent about what I are and how much I are and did very little exercise. But I lost a majority of my weight during that time and alot would be within a week after each of my fills. But that I lose differently that others might. So you will have to find out how you lose weight the best way and then be willing to change and work with it when you hit plateaus. This is going to be a work in progress but you will find your groove and you will find out how to use your band to make it work for you.