Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew

I'm getting banded on the 26th. I go for my pre-op today. My liquids start tomorrow.

I'll be off Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. If I need, I'll take off Tuesday too. I keep a couple of kids at my house, along with my own daughter. My husband is going to be home ALL week to do my job for me with my supervision. He's a teacher so he's off anyway. I think he'd rather do that than have us lose the $$$ from me taking off. I think it will work out. He's pretty responsible.

Friends,

I was told intially by the doctor that it is possible to have a fillin two weeks. I hope I do as I have to fly to the doctor for a 10 minute appointment for him to tell me come back in 2 weeks? When I go to boston it takes 3 days in total . One day to get there, one day for appoitnment,and one day to fly back. So if possible I would love to have an adjustment. I do not feel the band at all! I am still doing as they told me and have been on pure liquids. Water and Protein Shakes and slight bit of yogurt in shakes. I know the doctor will do what is best for me and I will follow waht he/she says. But thanks everyone for you feedback which is vital to keep me grounded and informed...

Peace and love

Banded today, May 18th. Two hours post op. No problems. Beautiful center, expert staff.

303-start-288-surgery day

Banded by DR Ortiz- Tijuana MX

Hi All....

Made it though the banding process on May 15th, spent the night in hospital and am home recouperating. It was a rough first couple of days...today is my first day off pain meds and my "runs" have started to slow down. I'm doing more walking each day but still not a lot. Tonight actually felt like ingesting something...before this I was doing liquids because I had too...sure didn't feel like drinking anything. I believe I have rounded the corner but am admittedly disappointed that I didn't seem to bounce back as quickly as many seem to do. I am 56 so that may have something to do with it :rolleyes Guess I'll just have to give myself the time I need to get back up to regular functioning. I had initially planned on going back to work on Monday but am thinking otherwise now. Anyway, I wanted to check in and let you all know I made it through surgery and am now a "bandster." I'm rooting for those just banded and with banding coming up.

Pat

:update:

May 1st

sleepyjean

Hippo's Hope

LindaV

justduckie

txpeach

May 2nd

Velvetkiss

DrewsLou

May 3rd

kelli

louie

Judy Ann

May 4th

mychevygirl

TIDGE

lululacy

Angie71

Trip2bme

May 5th

Londoner

May 8th

Poster Child

laurapar

May 9th

Seminole

Marianne TN

Stitchy

dawner119

slwc

lorri

May 10th

missnikki

JJinLA

trinsong

May 11th

babyjane

Karma2

michelletur (approved waiting for confirmation of surgery date)

bitteroldhag

May 12th

heresdeb

TwinkleLiL Star

AMF101

wiggygiggy

4MyFuture

missyfan

May 15th

Scout

RmichaelsAZ

MarcyD

maebeth

May 16th

JillN

Gettinghealthy

jewels411

May 17th

anewlife

cathmo

msj0028

MJK Media

May 18th

marz88

jboy

medussa

ARVEL

May 19th

Mvpo8961

May 22nd

taxgirl

Wannalosealot

Awasaf

meedy8r

tincat

May 23rd

jcbydesign

Mystijen

May 24th

dascjp1 & sister

May 25th

junglejim

FREE-TO-BE

Murphles

Tracyd

May 26th

Kim2bhealthy

CLOE

3loves

GreatDame

sisterfunkhaus

May27th

CATCHUP

May30th

outdoorgrl

May 31st

escudero012004

kato

MarionJean

I think I got everybody. But if I missed you let me know and I will edit it.

M<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thanks for the list MVPO!!! Great work :D Glad to hear that all of our already banded are making it through. Arvel- I hope I'm in your position two hours post op :)

I went today for pre-op and start liquids tomorrow. I'm all set up with almost no food in the house. I have the approved liquids. I think I'll be fine. I'm kind of excited b/c it gives me a goal to work towards--there is a light at the end :D

Best wishes to :

May 18th

marz88

jboy

medussa

ARVEL

May 19th

Mvpo8961

I hope all goes perfectly for you. Check back in. I'll be thinking of all of you!!!

I AM BANDED!!!!!! Went in yesterday and want to share with everyone who is still waiting to go.

First off I am a critical care nurse and I truely believe that I know TOO MUCH. Ignorance is bliss...especially if you are going thru surgery. I want to admit that for weeks I have imagined every "worst case scenerio" out there. I was scared shitless...excuse the french , but seriously, I almost talked myself out of it because I know and have seen all the bad stuff that can happen to someone as a result of a "minor" surgery.

Ok now that I admitted that I was a big scardy cat, let me tell all of you about my experience. I hope I can ease someone's mind.

I arrived at the hospital at 6am, went to surgery at 7:30, got to recovery and hour later and woke up at 11:00. Yes there was pain, but there was pain meds ready for me. I got sent to my room and immediately got up to bathroom and sat in a chair for the rest of the day. I continued getting morphine 4mg total. I went for my barium swallow and was back to the room by 3pm. I proceeded to take my shots of liquid and kept them down. Bathroom again, then more shots of liquid. Then I got dressed and spent the next two hours sucking ice, taking liquid pain meds, and drinking Protein Shots. I walked the hall a bunch of times and was finally sent home at 5pm. I had one PB in the car on the way home but it wasn't bad. I took more pain meds in the evening, sucked down a Protein Shake, and went to bed at 10:30pm. I woke up at 06:30 am and felt like a MILLION bucks!!!!!!! I am off the pain meds, drinking, peeing, walking, and YES..out shopping!!!! This was EASY!!!!! I am still a little sore, but I have had worse muscle pain after an intense workout. I feel totally great!!!!! No probs with anesthesia or surgery. Pain is fine. I took a shower and am up and about all day today. I am shocked!! I almost chickened out of this and am sooooo glad that I didnt. I think I feel so good because I just kept moving . The more times I use my muscles the better I feel.

If you are worried about surgery PLEASE stop. I tortured myself for weeks, needlessly. Just do what they say...take as much pain meds as they will give you and get moving ASAP. This was so easy! Good luck to those who are about to get banded.

Medussa ~ Congratulations!! Thank you for the words of encouragement. I have total peace at this point and time, but that is subject to change of course. :Banane20: Was the barium swallow difficult? I just had that yucky stuff for pre-op and can't imagine doing it so soon after post-op. I need to check with my surgeon to find out his procedure on that.

seminole ~ Glad to see you back & at'em!! You seem to be doing very well too. Any nuggets of advice that you learned post band?

Hang in there Pat. :biggrin1: Are you feeling any better today? I hope your able to take a few more days off work....it would only benefit you.

sisterfunkhaus ~ Hey, we share a band date!! :clap2: Can you believe this time next week, we will be on the other side?

Kim ~ I'm here and sorry to say I haven't stuck to the liquid diet as much as I should have. :cry Aunt Flo came for a visit :Banane41: and although I'm glad to get it out of the way b4 surgery, I fight cravings. I have still lost 2 lbs which is great for me. I wasn't able to have the shakes on Thurs b/c I was in Indy for my pre-op testing. I guess since I know it's not required, I didn't sweat it that much, but I did think of you guys. Also, the hotel where I stayed on Wed PM didn't have a fridge.

Myra ~ Thinking and praying for you. Hope all is well and looking forward to hearing from you.

Would love to hear from everyone else that's been banded lately. Please give us an update and let us know how your doing!! :)

3loves-

Barium swallow was no problem. I had to take 3 swallows only. It took a total of 60 seconds...they gave me Water to rinse my mouth out. When I got back to room I was cleared to drink. I came prepared with sugar free throat lozenges and popped one as soon as I could drink. It is what made a real difference. Good luck on your date...I know you will be fine! I am still rocking on today. Took one short nap and now going again. No hunger, no nausea.

Hi all I got banded today at 10:00 am so I am now a member of the BANDED GENTRY (thinking of VQ). Summary of my day.

Awoke 5:15 am, feed watered dogs and cats and off to the hospital

6:30 checked in through admitting paid my 50:00 copay and off to daysurgery.

7:00 Daysurgery waited briefly in the waiting room the

had blood drawn, sat down with the RN and gave medical/family history to be stored in the computer, went for a Chest Xray (2 views), into my preop bed and had an EKG.

Then the wait began for about an hour. Was give Reglan Lovonox(sp) and XANAX.Hubby and I talked and LAUGHED, cracking jokes having a good time.

9:00 went to sugery holding area to have my IV started. Took three tries by the Anesthiologist and then was a fragile site but it worked through surgery. He steathly gave me some to put me to sleep while I was going through my medical history again with a holding nurse and it was LIGHTS OUT!!!!!!!!!!

Woke in recovery room very groggy coughing from being extubated and peeing like a race horse all over the bed. I remember repeated saying I'm Sorry pint in a catheter. But that only lasted about 15minutes and I was able to have most of my senses although still drowsy. I had to be told to take deep breaths occassionally (common) to keep my oxygen level up.. After probably about 15 minutes of that I was awake enough.

Then I was wheeled by WHEELCHAIR to xray for a bariun swallow except the used GASTRAGRAFIN. PUKE CITY after the third large swallow I thought I would share it with the Xray tech but I was able to hold it in.

While in Xray the tech laid my IV bag on the floor and it clotted. Even though I told him it was on the floor and wasn't dripping but I really didn't care at that point to make a fuss.

Back to recovery who then took me to daysurgery to finish waking up. Drank a small container of juice and ate a small container of Jello. I did get a small dose of Demerol iv before the Xray and a shot of Toroadol in the butt in daysurgery room.

Dr. Fox came in to see me told me no hiatal hernia, I have the large VanGuard band did well and sent me home with Phenergran supp. and liquid hydrocodone.

THE DRIVE HOME I THOUGH I WAS GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hubby drove the truck with not very good shocks and because by now it was 4:30 went the back way home because it was RUSH HOUR IN DALLAS!

It was like being on the rollercoaster at SIX FLAGS. I walked in took some medicine and FELL INTO BED>

7:30 woke up and started sipping chicken broth and here I am sharing with ya'll

Alls well that ends well.

I'll correct typos tomorrow and talk to ya'll then.

M:sick

Hi everybody,

My surgery date is set for May 31. Dr Krahn at St. Bernardine Medical Center in San Bernardino, CA is doing the surgery. My pre band weight is 300.

YEAH Myra!!! :dance: It's hard to believe you are here posting the same day of surgery. What a woman!! I'm so glad to hear all the great feedback and thanks for the tip on the shocks. My drive home will be 3 hrs and we will have to stop for short walks along the way. Get some rest and we'll look forward to hearing more from you tomorrow. :clap2:

MarionJean ~ Welcome to the May group. So glad to have you here!! Your date is on my bday...yeah!! We have 2 other members getting their band on the 31st as well.:welcome:

Well it's now 9 days since being banded. I am starving but trying hard to limit the amount I am having. The only problem I seem to have is, a bad chest. I can't walk very far without getting breathless and feeling an ache in my chest. At night you can hear a slight bubbling sound coming from my chest. I cant seem to have a good cough either.

I have been walking around the house and that seems fine but, when I tried to take the dog out for a walk with my husband I had to turn round and come back due to this ache and becoming breathless. I can move around with no pain to the scare areas, only the port sight is a bit sore.

When I had my hyserectomy I ended up with a chest infection but this was detected before I even realised I had it. I was given antibiotics almost within wakeing.

I had a sore throat when wakeing and sounded a bit croaky and hoarse this time. Does anybody think I my have another chest infection?