Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SCREAMING in FRUSTRATION

3loves...it wasn't your misunderstanding..it was mine! I note that MVPO said she has a "preop" appointment...mine is a "first consult" appointment! My bad! Guess I am just too excited! Thanks for encouraging me to stay here. This really is home to me.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Yaaaay! I am so thrilled for you! Gosh, it will be here before you know it! Do you have all your postop supplies? Better get busy!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Sharon - I don't mean to intrude on your thread... I was wondering what made you to go with the RNY and not the band? Good Luck! Definitely keep us posted!

Kim, you aren't intruding at all. I chose RNY because I am afraid I wouldn't be able to tolerate the band (foreign object fixation). I also would have to drive 90 miles one way for fills. My good friend had RNY two years ago and she said she couldn't understand why I would want to have to go back and forth getting fills, possibly having an erosion or a slip and maybe not even losing all the weight I need to lose. After I thought about it, I realized that this is probably my only shot at getting something done because of being Medicare and I don't think Medicare would pay for a revision if lap band didn't work for me. I know about 8 others personally who have had RNY and say they would do it again in a heartbeat. I know it was a BIG decision to make but I have prayed and thought and researched and read online profiles and opinions and I know I would be devastated if I went with lapband and it didn't work for me. ..and then couldn't get a revision and at my age (61) I don't want to have to go under the knife anymore than absolutely necessary. My husband wasn't too keen on the RNY until I showed him all the statistics and risks of both procedures...and he hasn't questioned my judgement since. He knows I am no dummy, worked in the medical field for 35 years and am well aware of the risks and possible complications.

LOL. I went to the seminar on 4/28...TODAY I HAD MY FIRST CONSULT! It went great. I can get the surgery. The doctor was great, very friendly, said he wanted to know if I was prepared....and be careful what you wish cause you will get it! LOL. He said after talking to me, asking me a few questions like why I wanted surgery, what I expected from it, etc. that he could tell I had done my homework and that I was intelligent enough to know what I was doing so he was going to send me on to the next step! I have to have lab work, EKG, gallbladder ultrasound, chest x-ray...all of which can be done at my PCPs office. Then I need to have a psyche eval, nutritionist eval (by phone...I can record it!), and an EGD. Then I get my preop and a surgery date! I am so excited! They said they were very very please that I was so well prepared with a letter of referral from the PCP AND my Rheumy, and had all my medical records in hand with dates, weights and diagnoses highlighted! I am good to go. I will keep ya'll posted!

Way to go Sharon....you are on your way!! Just keep knocking those things off your list and you will be home recuperating before you know it!!:clap2:

I forgot to tell y'all that my doctor doesn't require a preop liquid diet...I can eat up until midnight the night before surgery, and I don't have to have an enema! Yaaaay. And, he uses no NG tubes or drains at all. He did say he would like for me to try to lose 8 to 10 pounds before surgery to shrink the liver. I also found out that the hospital I will use only has private rooms...Yaay! I was worried being a Medicare patient that I would have to have a semi-private...but they have no semi-private rooms!