Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone toldme that I will need to have my gallbladder out because more than likely it will bother me after i lose weight. She told me to have them remove it once I get the band....anyone have any feedback on this? I'm already nervous as I've never had surgery before I need feedback please!!!!!!

I had to have my gallbladder out last year, emergency surgery, then I had lapband this year. My surgeon though required if you did still have you gallbladder that you have an ultrasound of it, if you had stones he would remove it at the same time, because if he didn't you would likely have to have it removed in the near future.

My gallbladder surgery was a breeze compared to lapband.

I'm not an advocate of removing perfectly good body parts unless they need to be removed.

It is true that significant weight loss can aggravate the gall bladder, especially if you have gall stones. Three months into my weight loss post op, it was determined that my gall bladder had stopped working entirely. I don't have any gallstones. This was a result of the weight loss, and not the band.

The symptoms for my gall bladder were to develop mild pancreatitis first (very painful, ended up in the hospital), which then evolved onto the more traditional presentation of problems with the characteristic nausea and upper right side pain.

I am scheduled to have my gall bladder removed next week...and hope that the continuing pain and nausea will then cease.

I asked my surgeon this question. He said that if you've never had any gallbladder problems pre-band, then its not likely that you will need it removed. IF you have had problems previously then its a whole different story

I am almost 3 months post op and have never had any gall bladder problems until this month and I have to get mine taken out now :-( . I have read that rapid weight loss can cause problems. When I told my lap band surgeon that I have to get my gallbladder out he wasnt at all surprised.

Major weight loss often leads to gall bladder problems. I had a double whammy. I lost 100 pounds AND had strong genetic disposition to gall bladder problems. All of my mothers siblings (male and female) had their gall bladders removed (with my mother eight in all!). This was preband when I was 19. I have a high pain threshold and the pain is horrific.

Yes gallbladder pain is awful. Ever since I had my gallbladder attack on Monday my band has felt much tighter. I only have .5cc in my band but it's felt like there is a lot more than that. I've had to go to a liquid diet cause even that barely goes through. I called my lap band surgeon and he said its possible the attack cause some reflux which made the tissue inside the band to swell and get tighter.

This was an interesting thread...and another example of the differing medical opinions on how to address the gall bladder problems.

I don't know how many of you facing gall bladder problems had a HIDA scan, but that was the gall bladder specific test to determine that my gall bladder had ceased to function. It did make me feel quite ill for the rest of the day.

My bariatric surgeon, who missed this diagnosis and did no further investigation into my abnormal lab results while I was in the hospital for the pancreatitis advised me that because I did not have extreme pain during the scan I did not need to have my gall bladder removed. He also apologized to me for missing this diagnosis, but I hold doctors to a higher level of accountability and find that a missed diagnosis unacceptable.

I consulted with my PCP who had ordered the additional testing done because he was suspicious that there was a significant problem with the gall bladder explained that I was fortunate that my early attacks had been relatively mild (for both the pancreas and the gall bladder), but that they were progressive in nature and preferred me to avoid an emergency surgery situation. He was also concerned because the abnormal lab results were like a "red flag" and definitely should have been investigated while I was still in the hospital.

We need to become proactive to address medical issues and be certain to understand our conditions and treatment options. This entire series of events has served to strengthen my level of trust with my PCP's opinion, and place him in the role of "gatekeeper" to advise me on the treatment protocol I should follow.

Other's mileage may vary...

For those of you with past gallbladder issues, can you please give me your opinion? Everyday around lunch time, my lower back (both sides) start hurting and I'm in pain for the rest of the day (unless I take Aleve) until I wake up the next morning and it starts at lunch time again. Does this sound like the pain you had? And what kind of test should I get for a gallbladder? Blood, urinalysis? I'm bouncing around with my PCP because I can't stand this group of docs I currently have and need to find one to figure out what is going on with me.

I never had gallbladder issues prior. I was banded last November and my gallbladder failed two months ago. I was told a large amount of weight loss in less than a year was the culprit and it's very common. It was removed 2 days ago and I am healing nicely. Everyone said the surgery would be just like getting the band but I have to say being over a 100 pounds smaller recovery has been much easier than before. Excessive stones are not only painful and embarrassing but can eventually lead to rupture so I am so ok with having it removed. It is extremely common though so I wouldn't discount the possibility.

i started having the space between my upper shoulder blades start hurting very bad back in 04. after a couple trips to ER and then the last time hub told them i was staying til they fixed me (they did a ultrasound on my tummy) and they found gallstones. at that time i had lost about 50 pounds in a short time and was told that may have been the reason (but who knows except the gall stone fairy) and anyhow, long story short, had emergency surgery. all better now.

i hope you make the decision that the doctor and you agree works out best for you.