Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy Story From Pre Op Class

I didn't have a particularly strict pre-op diet. We went to a BBQ the day before my surgery. I totes had a cheeseburger. Glad it didn't fall out during surgery bwahaha. Anyway' date=' yeah it's good to follow your surgeons instructions for sure, but crazy scare tactics are for kids in my book.[/quote']

Um, it wasn't a scare tactic. It was a true story. Maybe you didn't read my comments after the original post. Don't just follow the crowd pay attention. & I'm glad it didn't fall out either wouldn't want you to die or anything :) & for the record even if it was a scare tactic I never saidv it scared me.

In case ssomeone wants to know, although some foods like beef and gum can cling to your intestinal wall for years,all food is digested and out of your stomach in 3-5 hrs.that why they say NPO( nothing by mouth in Latin) after midnight.The Dr knows by the time you have any procedure done in the morning there will be no food in your stomach.:-)

In case ssomeone wants to know' date=' although some foods like beef and gum can cling to your intestinal wall for years,all food is digested and out of your stomach in 3-5 hrs.that why they say NPO( nothing by mouth in Latin) after midnight.The Dr knows by the time you have any procedure done in the morning there will be no food in your stomach.:-)[/quote']

Thanks for the info. I'm very informed on the digestive system. I'm a nurse thy has worked all over my hospital and I've seen some crazy things happen that you wouldn't think could happen but does. So I stand by my surgeons and his staff I trust them 100%. I'm having my surgery at the hospital I work at I've worked with these people since I was 18. I trust them.

that* not thy

Wow. I had a friend that disregarded the preop diet and he ended up with a huge abdominal incision as well. His liver was too heavy to be lifted with the lap tools; best bet would be to just do the diet like you should! Its really not that bad. Just keep your eyes on the prize!

You seem very defensive. Hope that attitude works out for you.

It's just annoying when I've stated that obviously a whole cheeseburger didnt fall out & people keep trying to explain to me things I already know . So yes I'm going to defend myself. But my life real life is absolutely amazing(aside from

being fat ;) ) so something I'm

doing must be working right.

LOL... sometimes don't you just wish you had never said it in the first place?

I'm glad that you have the most amazing of lives. Maybe when your ego deflates a little bit you can be kind to everyone else on the forums who are all working toward the same common goal. In my experience with life when you drop your "I'm a total badass" attitude and try work with people instead of against them people tend to respond to you more positively. Whatever you do, again hope everything works out.

I'm glad that you have the most amazing of lives. Maybe when your ego deflates a little bit you can be kind to everyone else on the forums who are all working toward the same common goal. In my experience with life when you drop your "I'm a total badass" attitude and try work with people instead of against them people tend to respond to you more positively. Whatever you do' date=' again hope everything works out.[/quote']

I definitely do not have "I'm a total bad ass attitude". There are quite a few people on this forum I talk to and am very nice too as they are to me. I don't get any negative responses from people in my life I get along with just about everyone and I have a huge support system around me. so not sure where your going with that point. In regards to this forum, I dont care who likes me, dislikes, give me attitude, or responds negatively to me. I'm still going to continue to post and if you don't like what I have to say keep it moving. Just like if I don't like what you have to say I'll keep it moving. you post what you want and I'll post what I want. You don't have to agree . & Thanks It will work out,it always does. Same to you.

LOL... sometimes don't you just wish you had never said it in the first place?

i don't wish I never said it. I wish I was more clear. I just thought a group of intelligent people would know that I wouldn't think a whole cheeseburger fell out of someone's freaking stomach . but in a way I kind of knew I would get the responses I did because I'm not a forum favorite around here lmao but idc..at all

I didn't have a particularly strict pre-op diet. We went to a BBQ the day before my surgery. I totes had a cheeseburger. Glad it didn't fall out during surgery bwahaha. Anyway' date=' yeah it's good to follow your surgeons instructions for sure, but crazy scare tactics are for kids in my book.[/quote']

Also I would like to add , your talking about being kind to people on the forum this response isn't kind especially the part "glad it didn't fall out bwahahah" as to make fun of the story I was telling. So practice what you preach about being kind. All you did was jump on the bandwagon along with everyone else who laughed and thought I was saying a whole cheeseburger fell out .

This is not the first thread that this has happened on. For some reason some people read responses and take them completely the wrong way. Some people seem to forget that on the internet you cannot see the body language or the tone behind a post and something that has been said with the best intentions is taken completely the wrong way. I think we all need to remember that when we post things on a public forum we will get some responses we like and some we don't. We just all need to lighten up and not take things personally.

Going through this process is hard and some of the things that we have to do to get there can make us feel extra edgy. We are cutting backs on a lot of the crutches that we depend on. E.g food, sugar,carbs,alcohol,tobacco etc. All of those things can combine to make a person more on edge than they are normally.

Just remember we are all working towards the same goal , some of us are there already, some of us are on our way but wherever we are in the process we are here to cheer you on and to help and guide you when things get tough.

The whole idea of an entire cheeseburger falling out is an absurd and surreal mental image. It doesn't mean that that's what I thought you were saying. The idea of it is funny, the mental picture is funny.

How is finding humor in something unkind? I think you would do well with more humor in your life and to not be so freaking defensive.

This is a journey all of us are on, and a lot of it is really not funny. Emotions are raw, a lot is at stake, and for some of us this decision is life and death. So having a little bit of humor is a nice break sometimes. Also, I can't imagine living in a world where I percieve humor as a slight and attacking people for it.

All you're "my life is so great and everything always works out for me" defensive wall building bull**** really just stinks of extreme insecurity to me. Maybe I'm out of line to suppose, but really anyone who is overweight enough to need bariatric surgery generally didn't get that way because of they're total awesome life and their total amazingly healthy attitudes. I mean, I figure if you have a sane and rational relationship with food you wouldn't need to go to the extreme of having surgery, and in my experience most of our unhealthy attitudes about food are but a symptom of bigger issues in our life and out look.

You say you don't care what anyone thinks about you on this forum, and yet you care enough to keep responding. You care enough to get SUPER defensive about your whole cheeseburger post fiasco. So, yeah your behavior certainly shows a total opposite of what you're saying.

Anyway, in my experience, people who have radical lives and don't really care what anyone thinks don't have to make it such a point to express that. People generally pick up on it through there awesome demeanor.

Good luck and beware the cheeseburgers.

I honestly don't believe even one person thought a whole cheeseburger fell out of a stomach since nobody could inhale an entire burger. Even fat people take bites. But we are also all intelligent to know that food leaves the stomach 3 to 5 hours after eating, so that story you were told was a fabrication, and an elaborate attempt to scare the people in the group. Nobody was calling you names or poking fun at you.

On a side note, how do people know that their surgeon is 'top rated'?? I've looked everywhere for bariatric surgeon ratings and there was none available.