Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Walking/jogging

I agree with some of the comments on the idea of running. I've never liked running myself, and couldn't think that I would ever get to the point that I looked forward to it. I was banded in Feb 2010. I started out running 1/2 mile at a time, and would build up every week to then a mile, then a mile and a half.......... My weight started out at 301, and my running started when I was in the high 240s. I eventually ran in the Donor Dash in July of that year which is a 5k. Saturday night I told my wife, "I’m going to do it." I ran it in about 42 minutes. I didn't stop.

I was proud for getting to that point, and looked forward to running in the mornings. The following week I ran 5 miles at one time. I bottomed out that day as I have sugar diabetes. The doctor dropped my meds even more which gave me more incentive to run..

Then a couple weeks later I did 6.4 which was equivalent to a 10k. That took me 1.5 hours. I never got so winded I couldn't continue. As I was running I was thinking I would have been watching something silly on TV like Dog The Bounty Hunter, or Billy The Exterminator. I was thinking how many years of my life has been spent in front of a TV instead of exercising.

Then in November of that year, I fell of the latter in my garage and broke my leg. I couldn't run for 9 months, and the doctors have advised me to try swimming or biking. I don't get the same cardio feeling as I do when I run. Then I had a slip of my band and got back up to 282. I had the h-pylori, so that treatment took some time. Now I'm back on track. My weight is around 265, and I finally got in 3.2 miles 2 times this week. Now by no means am I worried about time. It took around 47+ minutes the first time, and I was 46+ the 2nd time. One of my elderly neighbors can walk as fast as my jog :) . I'd like to run the 5k for the Denver Komen walk in October. My mom and 4 sisters have all survived breast cancer, so our family tries to participate as many as we can each year.

I can tell my heavier weight is effecting my knees. I recommend anyone who wants to run for exercise to buy a good pair of shoes. Just like a read in another post about bikes, running shoes from Target/Wal-Mart don't work for me. I'm 47, and would like to get down in the area of 200-210. I think it would be great if I could do a triathlon before 50. I've learned I can reach anything I put my mind to. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd do a 5k.

What I'd like you to take away from my story is that anything is achievable. Even if it's something you've never imagined you'd like. Have a plan, work it, and do your best. Things will always work out. Good luck!!!

I agree with some of the comments on the idea of running. I've never liked running myself, and couldn't think that I would ever get to the point that I looked forward to it. I was banded in Feb 2010. I started out running 1/2 mile at a time, and would build up every week to then a mile, then a mile and a half.......... My weight started out at 301, and my running started when I was in the high 240s. I eventually ran in the Donor Dash in July of that year which is a 5k. Saturday night I told my wife, "I’m going to do it." I ran it in about 42 minutes. I didn't stop.

I was proud for getting to that point, and looked forward to running in the mornings. The following week I ran 5 miles at one time. I bottomed out that day as I have sugar diabetes. The doctor dropped my meds even more which gave me more incentive to run..

Then a couple weeks later I did 6.4 which was equivalent to a 10k. That took me 1.5 hours. I never got so winded I couldn't continue. As I was running I was thinking I would have been watching something silly on TV like Dog The Bounty Hunter, or Billy The Exterminator. I was thinking how many years of my life has been spent in front of a TV instead of exercising.

Then in November of that year, I fell of the latter in my garage and broke my leg. I couldn't run for 9 months, and the doctors have advised me to try swimming or biking. I don't get the same cardio feeling as I do when I run. Then I had a slip of my band and got back up to 282. I had the h-pylori, so that treatment took some time. Now I'm back on track. My weight is around 265, and I finally got in 3.2 miles 2 times this week. Now by no means am I worried about time. It took around 47+ minutes the first time, and I was 46+ the 2nd time. One of my elderly neighbors can walk as fast as my jog :) . I'd like to run the 5k for the Denver Komen walk in October. My mom and 4 sisters have all survived breast cancer, so our family tries to participate as many as we can each year.

I can tell my heavier weight is effecting my knees. I recommend anyone who wants to run for exercise to buy a good pair of shoes. Just like a read in another post about bikes, running shoes from Target/Wal-Mart don't work for me. I'm 47, and would like to get down in the area of 200-210. I think it would be great if I could do a triathlon before 50. I've learned I can reach anything I put my mind to. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd do a 5k.

What I'd like you to take away from my story is that anything is achievable. Even if it's something you've never imagined you'd like. Have a plan, work it, and do your best. Things will always work out. Good luck!!!

I wished there was a LOVE button for this!! :wub:

QUESTION: what do you do about the jiggle in the middle? I tried running tights, but they make my stomach hurt and I always wear a tight under shirt but I can't stand the feeling of my tummy jiggling. I prefer the eliptical but I do want to be able to run.

I deal with the jiggle! haha! At first I was pretty embarassed by my tummy and my rear but now...Who cares! Im off the couch, outside and doing more than most people that want to have something terrible to say about me! I have come along way as have you! GO US!

I did buy a pair of tight running shorts and they are so comfortable that I want to wear them everyday!

Ill be doing W2D2 today! keep yall updated on things!

One of the things I can't wait to do again is run. I was an avid 5 miles a day no matter what the weather at one point in my life. I will tell you though that until I was warmed up- about 1/2 mile plus it was awful. I had to talk myself through it every day. Once the first mile was done it was smooth sailing. And I never thought I'd like it either- simply because I had never pushed myself past the first mile. Sometimes it really is no pain/no gain ~ or loss;) I hope you are able to enjoy it, if not find something you do! You deserve it!

woot, woot!! I ran 3.1 miles today followed by another 1mile walk! If I can do it, anyone can! I shaved a minute off my run, that's the next thing I am going to work on.

woot, woot!! I ran 3.1 miles today followed by another 1mile walk! If I can do it, anyone can! I shaved a minute off my run, that's the next thing I am going to work on.

Congratulations!!! Keep it up. It sounds like you are on a roll.

thanks lap5280! Looking good in your picture too! Wondering now if I will be able to do another 3 tomorrow morning!

QUESTION: what do you do about the jiggle in the middle? I tried running tights' date=' but they make my stomach hurt and I always wear a tight under shirt but I can't stand the feeling of my tummy jiggling. I prefer the eliptical but I do want to be able to run.[/quote']

I ignore it! No, really, I do. I hate it too but that is why I run! I have found that after a fill or when pushing new speeds I have to wear a compression tank underneath or my port bothers me. Other than that the flap flap flap is just another annoying reason I don't quit!

I have run 3 5Ks since being banded. I took the summer off and have 3 more scheduled for September and October. I want to train for a half marathon but I'm currently training for speed. I'm trying to improve my sustained pace. Last 5K was 11:30 min mile pace. My goal for this fall is a 10 min mile pace. My training is similar to the C25k (that's how I started!) but instead of jog/walk intervals I sprint/jog. Once I get my pace down I will begin half marathon training. :-).

I too never would have believed I would be a runner.

At my family reunion my cousin said "she needs Water, she's the athletic one on the family". I about died because never in my life would I have thought that sort of statement could be made about me!

I've been trying to get into running myself. My mom is an avid runner (5ks, marathons and triathlons) plus she's a running coach and trainer. You'd think I have the perfect reason to get out and run! I want to participate in more races with her. But I'm especially interested in the obstacle course races like tough mudder, they just look like FUN.

I just downloaded a really cool couch to 5k app. It is an app that you use while your running. Instead of just following the plan, the app actually keeps the time for u and will ding in your ear and then tell you to run or walk. There's no watching of the stop watch, which is nice! I can just walk or jog and enjoy the scenery. Ali it works with your own music. I just turn it on before the app and it decreases the music volume when it's time to tell me to run, then puts the volume back up after.

I'm hoping powered with my new app and a little determination I'll be happily running in no time!

U

I actually just had my co-worker to find something for me, I've always wanted to run a race. I have started 2 weeks ago with the couch25k and it's great. A little hard the first week, but you get used to it, I don't go for speed, I jog at my own pace. I will be running a 5k on September 22, my job is actually sponsoring one that I found out about on yesterday, so I am going for it. I thought that I would have a little more time to train, but when I heard about this one I couldn't pass it up. It's a run for lung cancer awareness and my mom died from lung cancer 6 years ago. I thought this would be an awesome way to honor her and check one off of my bucket list.

Headed home soon to do W3D1! Hoping for a easy time! I will say after the first week Im surprised!

HI everyone!

Just wanted to keep yall updated on my C2k5 progress....

I will start Week 7 in the morning!

I have amazed myself!

I can jog for 25 mins without a step of walking! Woot woot!!

And I have signed up for a 5k obstacle course run Oct 13!

Hope everyone else is doing great!

Hey everybody. Walked 3 miles this morning at a 3mph pace. That's alot for me considering right last week I couldn't get past 1 mile. Gonna do it again tmro. If I start earlier I may make 4 miles...wish me luck.

Has anyone had issues with runners knees? I am on week 3 of c25k, I've done it before. My knees just hurt when walking up and down(especially) stairs. I have really good running shoes but last week I didn't really pay attention to form and ran longer than suppose to. I gave my knees 3 day rest and I am going to try it again today. I am going to chiropractor soon. I also am going to do a flat incline and see if that works. Has anyone dealt with this;

Just finished my 3 mile walk. I've been short changing myself...Used Mapmywalk app day. It says my pace is 3.75 mph. I've been thinking it was 3mph. Guess i'm doing better than I thought I was. Yeah for me! I did 3 laps around Al Lopez trail.

I have knee pain and since I'm addicted to running I didn't want to cause harm. I saw an orthopedist and found I have thinning of the cartilage on my knee cap. I am told it was the excess weight over the years that did the damage. I am not allowed to train hills so 0 incline on treadmill. I have to wear a support sleeve and take anti-inflammatory meds and ice after long runs.