Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Walking/jogging

Hey everybody. Walked 3 miles this morning at a 3mph pace. That's alot for me considering right last week I couldn't get past 1 mile. Gonna do it again tmro. If I start earlier I may make 4 miles...wish me luck.

I think Im a day behind but GOOD LUCK!! keep pushing forward you can do it!

Has anyone had issues with runners knees? I am on week 3 of c25k, I've done it before. My knees just hurt when walking up and down(especially) stairs. I have really good running shoes but last week I didn't really pay attention to form and ran longer than suppose to. I gave my knees 3 day rest and I am going to try it again today. I am going to chiropractor soon. I also am going to do a flat incline and see if that works. Has anyone dealt with this;

I have read about runners knee but never experienced it! Im surprised that my right knee doesnt bother me since I have ACL surgery in 98 however its been so great! I hope with rest and flat incline your knees get better soon!

Good Luck!

I have knee pain and since I'm addicted to running I didn't want to cause harm. I saw an orthopedist and found I have thinning of the cartilage on my knee cap. I am told it was the excess weight over the years that did the damage. I am not allowed to train hills so 0 incline on treadmill. I have to wear a support sleeve and take anti-inflammatory meds and ice after long runs.

Be careful. I get the love of running but maybe you can find other sports or exercises to compensate for what you get from running. You didn't come this far just to wind up having difficultly walking. I would love to be a runner...I cant even jog right now.

Be careful. I get the love of running but maybe you can find other sports or exercises to compensate for what you get from running. You didn't come this far just to wind up having difficultly walking. I would love to be a runner...I cant even jog right now.

I NEVER thought I could jog either! But Im doing it and so can you! :D

I started out on my walk I would pick a tree, a rock, a curve or something on the track and told myself Im going to run to that spot! It gets easier promise! Take it day to day and dont over do it!

Good luck!

I NEVER thought I could jog either! But Im doing it and so can you! :D

I started out on my walk I would pick a tree' date=' a rock, a curve or something on the track and told myself Im going to run to that spot! It gets easier promise! Take it day to day and dont over do it!

Good luck![/quote']

Thank you...i've got a long way to go. Been power walking at 3.75 mph. Haven't gotten past 3 miles yet but one day I hope to run a 5k. Im 18 days post op...do you think its best that I focus on the pace of my speed or slow down so I can add more distance? When I walk too slow I feel like Im not getting anything out of it.

Thank you...i've got a long way to go. Been power walking at 3.75 mph. Haven't gotten past 3 miles yet but one day I hope to run a 5k. Im 18 days post op...do you think its best that I focus on the pace of my speed or slow down so I can add more distance? When I walk too slow I feel like Im not getting anything out of it.

Everyone that I have spoken to about walking or jogging says dont be over concerned about your speed...When I first started jogging I thought I looked ridiculous! Im still not the fastest jogger but jogging none the less! If you are walking 3 miles you can getting ALOT out of it! Listen to your body it will tell you how much and how fast! You are up and moving which is more than the person sitting on the couch! And if you were anything like me and Im guessing lots of us here we werent active so seeing that your up and moving counts for so much!

Like I said...Take it easy and dont over do it!

Remember its a journey of finding the new you dont burn yourself out!

My orthopedist said I'm 100% ok to run. He actually thinks it is good because as the weight comes off the pressure on the knee will decrease.

I started running slow. Very very slow. I just increased my pace as it got easier always making sure I was being challenged. it took time but I "ran" my first 5k in 40 minutes. It can be done!

My dream is to be a runner!!! I hope I can one day!! I just got banded 2.5 weeks ago, feeling great!!! I will start out by walking for a few weeks and bill up to the running, wish me luck :)

I got banded July 27th- went for my first fill 9/27/12. When I told the nutrionist that I had started jogging maybe 1.5 miles out of a 5 mile walk/jog- he expressed concerns that I should probably still take it easy for awhile more- he is concerned that my pot could flip. My question to you all is how long should I expect to go without running? I am taking it easy basically, but now's the time of year I gets lots of hiking in and take off for hours on adventures. My first race isn't until January, but then I have so many big races planned in 2013.

Also Theboysmom- make sure to keep us posted on your obstacle course race this month! I did a mud run last year- so much fun, but it killed my hip flexors going through all that mud! Enjoyed it so much though, such craziness!

Let's all keep up the great fitness goals, it just makes me feel so much better and happier with myself!