Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Hi April,

Good to hear how you are doing. You just vent away, that is what this board is for. Honestly, your venting helps me. I struggle some days and don't get on the board, but it always help me to see that I am not alone. I love my Starbucks too. I use Starbucks as my reward. I get a tall SF-flavored NF latte. I just love it and it feels notty, but really isn't. I knew I had to work on my Starbucks addiciton, so I went from Venti full sugar frappucinos to Venit SF frappucinos. Then from Venit to Tall, then from Tall frappucino to tall SF NF latte. It worked for me. I am tempted when I go in, but I usually have my dog with me and she can't be left alone for long, so I am in and out and totally plan what I am having before I go in. You can do it!

I did want to share something that happened to me yesterday. I was having a really good day:) then something happened and it went instantly bad:mad:. I messed up a reservation for my DH and my anniversary. I had to pay a fee, change it up, admit I messed up, etc. Traditionally my response would have been to stuff my face:hungry:. I did have two pieces of turkey bacon and my band let me know in no uncertain terms that that was too much when I was stressing (a little PBing ensued:puke:). I had a tightness in my chest that I had not felt since the first week of banding. We had discussed in our last group support meeting that stress effects the band, but this was my first encounter with it. It just seemed to tighten up on me. Well, a good cry:Cry: in the shower:rain: and some concentration on calming down seemed to do the trick (I hate PBing). About two hours later I was able to eat a little something and not overeat. It was amazing that my band was able to help in a stressful time so I avoided one of my usual traps and had to find another coping mechanism. Each victory counts!:whoo:

So the band is helping in ways I didn't even fathom. :cheer2:

Happy banding!

MMT

I had to take a day trip to Nashville for a job interview. They paid, so they sent me Southwest. I have not flown Southwest, since the time they made me buy and extra seat a couple of years ago. I am proud to say, I sat in the seat, buckled the belt , and....... put the tray table down! I can not tell you the last time I was able to do that! I also walked through the airport from one end to the other without sweating like a pig and being out of breathe! I am 1 lb away from being 70 lbs down since June 1st when I started pre-op, what a difference it makes. I love my band!

Keep going everyone, it is so worth it!

I am proud to say, I sat in the seat, buckled the belt , and....... put the tray table down! I can not tell you the last time I was able to do that! I also walked through the airport from one end to the other without sweating like a pig and being out of breathe! Keep going everyone, it is so worth it!

Woo Hoo! You should be proud! Thanks for the encouragement. I look forward to the day when I won't fear the airplane seats. You're doing awesome and you give hope to those who are in the process of being banded. Thank you!!

New before/during pictures here.

I'm right around 150 - 155 lost, 50ish to go.

BMI 55 pre-op, 33 now.

Size 30/32 (on a good day) then, and anywhere from a 14 - 20 now. Mostly 14/16 or 18/20 in shirts, and 20 in pants. Except for things I buy at Target. $^%&$% Target. Makes all their sizes tiny.

I can remember thinking... I'll never get there...

And now I think... 50 more lbs? I can do that with my eyes closed & hands tied behind my back.

Everyone that's a part of this thread... hang in there. The road seems long, so long you can't see the end. But I promise it's there. :rose:

Astounding! You must not be able to believe it. I'm a similar weight/age/body shape as you and it's great to know what I have to look forward to if I do my part.

mjsafari, that is awesome. Especially considering your past history with the airline. The tray table and everything -:rose: wow!:D

WOW Wheetsin what a difference, you look great! Are you sure you need another 50 off :-)?

Michiganer - that day will come. You will have to work at it and get your head in the right place, but I have no doubt that you can do it. I believe if I can do it anyone can.

Insub - I know I couldn't believe it! I sat a looked at it for a little while, trying to decide if I should even try. Good thing no one could hear the battle going on in my head! :-)

i went in for a slight unfill day before yesterday. I was way too tight. id been on full liquids for a month. I tried eating real food about every other day, unsuccessfully able to hold it down. the unfill helped significantly.

I spent an entire day just eating. i was so ...dry? i dont think is the right word...nervously dehydrated? HUNGRY. thats it.

so i ate. fish, soft foods. i rested. let my body absorbthings, got it good and hydrated.

today im still doing it. Not eating as much. you could definitely tell my body needed everything it took. Im still not all the way in the green. im waiting to see what comes out the other side of this...so to speak.

it will be a full six to eight weeks before i can come back. I think im okay with that.

I dont think i can get to 245 before i get back. i wonder if i will still lose with the unfill. i cant believe i went an entire month as tight as i was. it really had affected my thinking.

what a strange time.

Hi There, I Started Out At Bmi 55 Now At 35.6 And Going Down! I Too Only Have About 50 More Lbs To Goal. I Am At 227 Now. Hope To Be At 199 By Christmas. I Never Thought I Would Come So Close To 200 Again. It Has Been Since 1970 Since I Have Bee 200 Lbs. That Is A Few Years.

I Have My

Hi There, I Started Out At Bmi 55 Now At 35.6 And Going Down! I Too Only Have About 50 More Lbs To Goal. I Am At 227 Now. Hope To Be At 199 By Christmas. I Never Thought I Would Come So Close To 200 Again. It Has Been Since 1970 Since I Have Bee 200 Lbs. That Is A Few Years.

I Have My Before Pics But Don't Know How To Put Them On The Before And After. My Son Will Help Me I Hope.

I Started Out On This Journey A Size 34 And Now An 18. I Feel So Wonderful. I Walk All Over And Do So Much More Than I Ever Thought I Would. I Feel Young Again! I Am So Thankful For This Band!!

Ladydi

Insurance hell IS hell, isn't it?? I went shopping at the Avenue and if ONLY I was two sizes smaller - everything would look soo good and I wouldn't feel so gross.....I can't wait until the band is in and I'm on my way to MY victory. I love hearing everyone's stories....and cannot wait til I visit my doctor for the LAST visit in December.................time time....time time....time time....!

Well, I have been denied by Cigna. My paperwork was submitted to them on September 20th and I got the letter dated September 28th this weekend. So needless to say, it was a crappy weekend. I was doing really good on my no-carb diet too and I totally fell off the wagon all day yesterday. I am back on today though. The letter basically regurgitated all of the requirements you have to pass for them to approve you. I am confused because as far as I know, I have met all of them. I spoke with the insurance coordinator who has been extremely helpful though this whole process. She said she also got the letter and doesn’t understand the reason for denial either. She said I have met all of their requirements. I really feel like calling Cigna some really bad names right now! I feel like I have jumped though a million f-ing hoops for them and then they have the nerve to send me some cryptic freakin letter. It really pisses me off! But I have confidence in Amanda (the insurance coordinator). She said that she is going to have Dr. Kim (the surgeon) do a peer-to-peer with the medical director (I think she meant Cigna) to find out what the problem is. Dr. Kim will be in surgery today and tomorrow so the earliest he can do it is Wednesday. I am tired of waiting but what is a few more days after I have been going through everything for months right? I am still confident that Cigna will approve me eventually. I have done all they asked and I am sure that they are just being nit-picky. Once Dr. Kim calls them, I don’t think they will be able to weasel out of approval. Pray that they approve me soon! I want to begin my new life! * Trisha *

Well, I have been denied by Cigna. My paperwork was submitted to them on September 20th and I got the letter dated September 28th this weekend. So needless to say, it was a crappy weekend. I was doing really good on my no-carb diet too and I totally fell off the wagon all day yesterday. I am back on today though. The letter basically regurgitated all of the requirements you have to pass for them to approve you. I am confused because as far as I know, I have met all of them. I spoke with the insurance coordinator who has been extremely helpful though this whole process. She said she also got the letter and doesn’t understand the reason for denial either. She said I have met all of their requirements. I really feel like calling Cigna some really bad names right now! I feel like I have jumped though a million f-ing hoops for them and then they have the nerve to send me some cryptic freakin letter. It really pisses me off! But I have confidence in Amanda (the insurance coordinator). She said that she is going to have Dr. Kim (the surgeon) do a peer-to-peer with the medical director (I think she meant Cigna) to find out what the problem is. Dr. Kim will be in surgery today and tomorrow so the earliest he can do it is Wednesday. I am tired of waiting but what is a few more days after I have been going through everything for months right? I am still confident that Cigna will approve me eventually. I have done all they asked and I am sure that they are just being nit-picky. Once Dr. Kim calls them, I don’t think they will be able to weasel out of approval. Pray that they approve me soon! I want to begin my new life! * Trisha *

Hi Trisha,

Hang in there. I was denied by CIGNA twice. And with the second denial, my caseworker contacted CIGNA, got the peer review and I was approved three days later. CIGNA has the worst reputation, but they do approve (I am living proof). Hang in there. They think it is their job to deny and do so without a thought. Keep fighting the good fight. I got my band July 23, 2007. It was well worth the wait!

Good luck!

Mary

Hi,

I just wanted to share. I met my first major goal Saturday. My first (of many) major goals was to rid myself of 39 lbs (10% of my original body weight). I met that goal on Saturday.:first: Less than three months and 10% of my original body weight is gone. I am now looking to do my best to ensure that weight going forward is a high percentage of body fat and not lean body mass.

I also had lipid panels done and my cholesterol (total) went from 215 to 160, just another way of measuring progress. :wow2:

Thanks for reading.:clap2:

Mary

I am waiting for insurance to aprove then to set a date for surgery. My Surgion says I should be approved no problem.

I am refusing to buy new clothing. Does this seem wrong to anyone. I think I have enough clothes to last me for 6 months or so. and Just hate the thought of buying more clothes that once I am banded I wont be wearing again.