Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Hi there,

I have never posted on this thread but I definitely qualified for it as I was over the BMI of 50 when I was banded in April this year. I have had a great time reading the posts on this thread and am encouraged by so many of you. I wonder if I qualify more for the "slow losers unite" though. I am 7 months out from surgery and have lost 55 lbs. I have a long way to go and am hopeful for many nsv's and more lbs lost too. Some of my idols post on this thread (hi Insub and Losinjus!!!) and many more of you have become my idols since reading through these posts. I just wanted to say hello and how are ya, to introduce myself to this thread. I am married (not always happily) with 2 teenage boys and I work as a police dispatcher nights. I have struggled with my weight all my life and hate to hear I have a pretty face (so what!!! so does most of America!!). I am looking forward to the day that next to my weight it no longer says MORBID! How's that for a descriptor! Hi, I'm Morbid what's your name?? Thanks for the smiles today reading your posts, I look forward to many more! Ciao Bellas! kt

Thanks Cerrin!!!

Love that quote!! LOL

I didn't mention that I am a Chiefs season ticket holder and they are my team win or lose. I am not a fair weather fan but can admit when they are headed in the wrong direction. I didn't mind when Brett Favre beat us. (Isn't he yummy?? OOOOH my!) But the Broncos!! that was hard to take! You are cool to show me the up side of my progress. So many people here are great.

Thanks again. KT

Hi I'm new to this website..

But, I have been looking on here ALLL day. I've looked at before and after pictures.. Scar pictures.... I've even looked up the two doctors that I'm trying to decide between.

Though I'm not right at 50 BMI, I'm at 49 BMI, and I feel too big for the small BMI'ers, so I'm going to be in this grouping. LOL. I'm almost 300 pounds and actually hide my weight pretty dang well as most poeple think I'm about 240, so luckily I got my mom's hourglass figure that helps me to hide this weight.

I'm almost done with my 6 month doctor visit thing and just getting prepared. Wanted to join a good group.

Welcome!

I just got my surgery date! Wow! I am so pumped!

Things are really movin now

December 19th Yippie. It is my Christmas present to myself.

Man I am so excited right now. I can hardley hold still.

Hi, I have loved reading this post. Long but worth it. It is nice to have something in common with you all. I look forward to being a part of the family.

I am fairly new to Lapbandtalk.com but since the surgery have been coming here alot. Especially during recovery and trying to diagnos all the quirky things I am feeling. I started out on the surgeons scales at 358 and a BMI of 52.3 (ouch). My home scale which I believe is more reliable read 354 so I like mine better and look to more than the docs. I started my pre-op diet on 10/20/07 and lost about 24lbs. prior to surgery. I am not sure how just followed the pre-op diet to the tee. Three Protein Shakes a day, Water and a small meal of 4 oz. lean Protein, starch, 2 cups of veggies, 1 fat, 1 fruit and 1 dairy. I was completely faithful to it and found it was not bad; as it could have been. Also, I was converting my store over to Christmas and worked like a dog for 10 hours a day for 7 days a week. Then 2 days later had surgery. Go figure, I always do things like that.

I had surgery on 11/6/07 and have lost 9lbs since surgery. I had a few issues resulting from surgery but the biggest has been figuring out when I am full. Prior to banding I could eat and eat and never really knew that I was full. This presented a problem yesterday when I drank 32 oz. of water in a 2 hour period. That was a no no because between not having a bowel movement in 9 days and drinking that much I was so full that I felt like exploding. This morning was like another world....finally relief with the BM and I feel wonderful. I went back to my deiticians instructions and followed it to the tee today. It really has been a great day physically and emotionally. I have turned the proverbial corner. I have to go to work tomorrow so I am glad for feeling better.

The bonus is losing 33lbs in 3 weeks. I know it is going to slow down but I will take the jump start. I also know that I must follow the docs instructions and I will be successful. Its just been hard distingishing what my body is telling me. Does that get easier? I hope so because the old mindset takes over and the body tells you later. I know that it will just take some time.

Best wishes to all of you. You have done remarkable and I look forward to getting to know you.

Primitive Blessings,

Cindy

Hello everyone:

Today I discovered I can actually cross my legs. OMG I cant' remember last time I was able to do that!

Awesome! Doesn't it feel good. Can't wait until I am in the "Can Cross My Legs Comfortably".

Woo-hoo!

Just me again - well, my meeting with Dr. Aceves went wonderfully and my friend and I are now scheduled for Dec. 29th! I'm SO excited, nervous, stressed, excited - I'm quite sure those of you who have "been there, done that" understand the emotional roller coaster.

My husband will be our chaffeur that weekend - I like knowing he will be there for me - and that he'll also be there to support my friend as well. We are set to come home on New Year's Eve (oh won't that be a fun border crossing!), and I am finally looking forward to a new year of hope and a lighter me.

After 5 years of trying to figure out my weight loss road, I love the lapband road I'm on ... I believe it will be the one that finally gets me to a Nascar race with my boyz! :P

Thanks Whosyadaddy!

Actually, I do rennaissance festivals and this is part of my garb that I wear. I dress up as a saucy wench! This is why I dont want to get down to super skinny weight with the lap band. I would love to just get down to about 180 and I'd be super duper happy. Even 200 honestly. LOL. I want to keep my curves, as most of the people at faire are bigger folk and when I was 125 everybody picked on me for being too thin. So, never again.

Hi all... I am back! Too much to go back and read right now on how everyone is doing and what's been going on. So I just wanted to log on and let everyone know that I am finally doing much better, I was banded on November 7th, last week, I finally feel good but the incisions still hurt too bad to sit in a regular chair right now for more than 10 minutes or so. That's why I decided to take another week off work. I go back on Wednesday next week, by they I should be back on here chatting it up wih everyone and back in the grove of things. Take care everyone!!