Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pcp Problems?

So I'm on my way to restart my life! I am 31years old...I weight 285lbs. I had talked to my PC about the band about a year ago when I was having breathing problems. He told me to walk it off and my weight will go down. Well the problem is that I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and most days can barely walk from the pain and its a lot worse from the weight gain. I've gain 100lbs since last year. I'm going to see my PCP today to tell him what I'm doing. Kind of nervous but I don't need his permission.... but has anyone had problems from there PCP getting in the way?

I didn't have any problems with my PCP and neither did my mom. My mom, like you, has rheumatoid arthritis and back and hip problems. She started out around 290, she lost 40 lbs on her own before surgery and another 50 so far after surgery. She is down below 200 now, at 199. Her surgery was in January. My mom wasnt able to get up the stairs in our home without crawling up them. She constantly used a cane and used a wheel chair to travel far distances. She can now walk up the stairs. She still needs her cane but she can walk farther distances. She is looking to get hip replacements soon. My mom and I have the same PCP. She saw how we had obesity in the family, it was in our genetics. We tried numerous diets and failed. If we did lose, we eventually gained it all back plus more. I'm sure your PCP will understand your situation and background. Explain to them how this will benefit you, however im sure they already know. Your PCP probably wants you to try on your own first, but I understand how hard it is with rheumatoid arthritis from my mother. I suggest that you try aquatic exercise maybe in a heated pool too, that would be easy on your joints. I think lapband will be a great help to you. I know it was for my mother. I'm getting banded in August, I cannot wait to live a healthier lifestyle.

Thanks!! Obesity runs in my family to! My mom is 5'4" and weighs like 350. All the females on my moms side were over weight and had bad arthritis... I'm however 5'10" so I carried it well for a while!! But from being on prednisone for so long its gotten worse. I basicly look pregnant again and its uncomfortable!!! I've tried all sorts of diets and exercise even got a trainer... I just keep gaining and its time to get it off permanently!! My mom struggles a lot and maybe by me doing this...it will show her that there's nothing to be afraid of and I can help her through the process!!!

Thanks!! Obesity runs in my family to! My mom is 5'4" and weighs like 350. All the females on my moms side were over weight and had bad arthritis... I'm however 5'10" so I carried it well for a while!! But from being on prednisone for so long its gotten worse. I basicly look pregnant again and its uncomfortable!!! I've tried all sorts of diets and exercise even got a trainer... I just keep gaining and its time to get it off permanently!! My mom struggles a lot and maybe by me doing this...it will show her that there's nothing to be afraid of and I can help her through the process!!!

I think you will do wonderful with the lapband! And I'm sure your mother will be motivated and maybe even start her very own lapband journey! How exciting! I hope your PCP agrees and is willing to write you a letter of recommendation! Best wishes!

I was nervous for no reason.....my PCP actually was on my side. He did tell me that he wasn't comfortable with the surgeon I saw. Told me he wasn't good at what he does and got me an appointment right then with an amazing bariatric (spelled that wrong!) Surgeon.... I guess I was afraid for no reason!! I'm hoping this is going to be wonderful!! My goal after this is when its all said and done....to go shopping for a new wedding dress and renew my vows with my husband and take a honeymoon we never got and wear a bathing suit!!! Dreams right now but its a great thing to strive for!!!

You go Girl! Best wishes on your "new" life and your future honeymoon! Karen

I mentioned the lapband to my old PCP about 3 years ago, and she dismissed it right away saying it was a terrible idea, very dangerous and would never agree to me having it. I was so discouraged, I thought it was a great idea for myself. I ended up switching to a new PCP a year ago after getting terrible care there and being misdiagnosed often. My new PCP gave me a big hug when I asked her what she thought about the surgery, and signed my papers for my insurance company. Hopefully I'll be banded in the next few months! :D

Good luck!! :D

I mentioned it to mine a few years ago and it was quickly dismissed. His answer to everything was low carb diets. I went on and has it without his permission in July. Didnt even mention it to him again. I dot really care what he will say when I see him again say that I had it done!

I, also, did not need my PCP permission. She remains very supportive and proud of my weight loss.

I was nervous for no reason.....my PCP actually was on my side. He did tell me that he wasn't comfortable with the surgeon I saw. Told me he wasn't good at what he does and got me an appointment right then with an amazing bariatric (spelled that wrong!) Surgeon.... I guess I was afraid for no reason!! I'm hoping this is going to be wonderful!! My goal after this is when its all said and done....to go shopping for a new wedding dress and renew my vows with my husband and take a honeymoon we never got and wear a bathing suit!!! Dreams right now but its a great thing to strive for!!!

Aww, I'm so excited for you! Congrats! Best wishes!

Thanks guys!!! I am happy I discussed it with him!!! I am happy he's on board and referred me to the right people to get it done right!!! Looking forward to the next step!!!!

My PCP was thrilled and said she had seen vast improvements in her patients with lapband. And I was at 206. SHe understood that this could take me off my blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol meds. I just adore her because she is compassionate and wants me healthy, instead of keeping me on her prescribed drugs prolonging me as a chronic patient.

My PCP told me that I won't lose enough weight with the lapband and will gain it all back. She wanted me to get gastric bypass. I was so disheartened by that visit! Since then I have continued on my path and decided to not let her, of all people, be my biggest naysayer.

My pcp was very against it also. I had to jump through hoops for over a year with dietitians, nutritionists, physical trainers and such before she was on board. I have a spinal chord injury that did not even away her, until the rest signed off that the band was my best option.

Glad your doc just didn't like your first choice . God luck

My PCP was for me getting Lapband surgery. He recommended the doctor to me and set the gear in motion. My band date is Aug 6. No insurance approval so far. Hurry up Anthem BCBS.