Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tricare - Additional Documentation Required

Hi everyone,

Had my paperwork submitted to Tricare South (Humana Military) on Monday. They came back today requesting additional documentation of failed weight loss attempts. The surgeons office said she has never seen this before from Tricare. Tricare is requesting 2-3 consecutive months of doctor supervised weigh-ins. Luckily I went to the doctor on July 11th, so I can count that as my first month and I made an appointment for August 10th, so I can use that as my second month. In both visits we will have discussed my weight loss attempts and that we are proceeding towards weight loss surgery. I will take the doctor's notes from both office visits and have them resubmitted to Tricare. Hopefully that will be all they need to approve the surgery. Everything else has been done. Anyone else have this request from Tricare? I am just glad they didn't come back saying I needed to do 6 months of supervised dieting.

Hi everyone,

Had my paperwork submitted to Tricare South (Humana Military) on Monday. They came back today requesting additional documentation of failed weight loss attempts. The surgeons office said she has never seen this before from Tricare. Tricare is requesting 2-3 consecutive months of doctor supervised weigh-ins. Luckily I went to the doctor on July 11th, so I can count that as my first month and I made an appointment for August 10th, so I can use that as my second month. In both visits we will have discussed my weight loss attempts and that we are proceeding towards weight loss surgery. I will take the doctor's notes from both office visits and have them resubmitted to Tricare. Hopefully that will be all they need to approve the surgery. Everything else has been done. Anyone else have this request from Tricare? I am just glad they didn't come back saying I needed to do 6 months of supervised dieting.

i have tricare north prime

tricare does not have any month supervised diet requirements

however you do have to show past dieting attempts. i wrote a letter to my dr who wrote a letter

to tricare outlining my past attemtps (successes and failures) with dieting and also wrote me a recommendation.

hope this helps

I do not have tricare but also had to have past diet attempts. I typed up a chart with name of diet/type, time of attempt, and approximate weight loss.

Hi Twinskin,

I have TriCare North. I had to do the same. I also had to to some other weigh in as my height was different at 3 different appt. hang in and it will happen. It took me 9 months from start to finish. I am now 6 months out and still have no regrets. I would do it all over again . So hang in a little longer and stay on top of it. Good luck.

Great news! I was approved by Tricare South!!! They accepted the two months of weigh-ins from my doctor's office. My surgery is scheduled for September 10th. I'm on cloud nine! :)

Great news! I was approved by Tricare South!!! They accepted the two months of weigh-ins from my doctor's office. My surgery is scheduled for September 10th. I'm on cloud nine! :)

So happy for you!

Tricare is the most wonderful insurance out there. I have had them now as a retired military person for 7 years and have never had any issues. My banding only took 2 months from consultation to surgery! I love Tricare!

weight.png

I am new to this forum and I have a question for those of you having a revision. My doctor wants to do a revision on my from my lap band to a possible sleeve, although we haven't decided which procedure we will do. I have had the band in since 3-2010 and the best weight loss I had is 30 lbs. I am almost the same weight I was when I had to band put on, and I throw up at almost every meal. they have taken liquid out of my band but I still vomit or food gets stuck. I have tricare prime triwest, and I was wondering if anyone else has tricare. for the band they approved it within 24 hrs. I still have type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol,take meds for all those as well as anxiety and to sleep. any suggestions on how to get tricare to approve the revision since it hasn't been at least 2 years since the band placement? Oh and we are suppose to move at the 2 year mark making this even more difficult. I also do not see military doctors. any suggestions or guidance is appreciated

Lisa.

I am new to this forum and I have a question for those of you having a revision. My doctor wants to do a revision on my from my lap band to a possible sleeve, although we haven't decided which procedure we will do. I have had the band in since 3-2010 and the best weight loss I had is 30 lbs. I am almost the same weight I was when I had to band put on, and I throw up at almost every meal. they have taken liquid out of my band but I still vomit or food gets stuck. I have tricare prime triwest, and I was wondering if anyone else has tricare. for the band they approved it within 24 hrs. I still have type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol,take meds for all those as well as anxiety and to sleep. any suggestions on how to get tricare to approve the revision since it hasn't been at least 2 years since the band placement? Oh and we are suppose to move at the 2 year mark making this even more difficult. I also do not see military doctors. any suggestions or guidance is appreciated

Lisa.

well i would suggest calling tricare tomorrow and advising them of this and your drs suggestion and see where they stand on approving those other surgeries. that os what i would do ifi wa you. (i am tricare prime north). i dont see military doctors either but tricare also gave me choices of dr's to use.

i wish you all the best