Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Anyone Debating To Convert To Sleeve

Thanks Doll! I really want to change surgeons his bedside manner is awful! I told him I feel intimidated every time I go in and I came to him spending $1000's on assistance. You would think he would try to be more helpful and less insulting

post-205790-13813135452946_thumb.jpg

!

post-343416-13813142401134_thumb.jpg

@ Jean, Thanks for your kindness!

I am upset that I lost the 1st 20lbs the 1st ( 2 months) after surgery. But I had my gallbladder removed 4 days before lap band and I couldn't keep anything down and had a bad reaction to anesthesia. So I don't even think it was related to the band but to my reaction....

I dont even leave the house since I am soo ashamed that I look the same! People are like You had lap band? How big were you before...,, crickets?

I'm not sure if you were asking me or someone else how big I was before my band surgery, but I'll tell you anyway. I'm 5'2" and my highest recorded weight was 231 (it was probably more during the years that I refused to step on a scale). I was 212.5 lbs at the time of my band surgery and lost all my excess weight (90 lbs) in a year.

Jean,

No I am not saying they will not pay for a revision they have a new policy that says you have to have had your WLS AT least 2 years before they would consider you for another surgery. You have to have failed at weight loss of at least 50% of your original weight and/or not reached 10% of your ideal body weight. I am just trying to make sure all my ducks in a row in case they deny me because it has not been 2 years. But we are do to move around the 2 year mark. We could get sent somewhere that can't support wls or do it. . I hope I can convert if not just for the weight loss for the ability to keep my meals down, I vomit at least once a meal. food gets stuck and I am soooo tired of it.

Sure sounds to me like you have enough documented band problems to prove medical necessity.

I have a "slipped" band and my doc is going to propose fix-all's next week. I'm looking at the sleeve b/c I did and EXCESSIVE amount of Pb'ing - getting stuck - etc. I just found out its slipped and no nothing about my options. What I do know is that I was a good patient for the first year, then I started eating a little more, and more, and more. After that came the ice cream, cake, blah blah. Then I realized something was up - after 40lbs of weight came back - REALLY fast. I lost the brain communication that I once loved. When the band was first placed food sounded GROSS. I could go all day on a super-duper King smoothie and a small dinner...now I eat Breakfast, lunch, dinner, Snacks, 3-4 Cookies, blah blah blah. I'm praying my insurance covers something - and would seriously like to know more about the sleeve and how it works. Sincerely, Respectfully - "Band Shot" - Karen

I find all these posts interesting and I really don't think there is a 1 size fits all solution.

I have had my band now for 4 years and sometimes when something gets stuck or I PB I fantasize about getting the sleeve and imagine how easy it must be but I don't think that is true.

I was out to lunch yesterday. In the group 3 of us have had WLS.

1 person has been banded longer than me and has just had her band replaced because of a slip. She had regained most of the weight that she lost and is currently at the point where she is starting to have fills and is hoping to find restriction. At lunch she ate far more than I have ever been able to eat since being banded.

Then my other friend got a sleeve approx 2 months ago. She has lost approx 20kg, 10kg of which was prior to surgery. She was complaining that she has stopped losing. I did point out that it is normal to plateau and I also pointed out that 10kg in 2 months is right on track 1/2 - 1 kg (1 - 2lb ) per week. She seemed to think she should be losing 1 - 2 kg per week. She is the kind of person that I do not believe educated herself well prior to surgery.I also asked if she was sticking to her diet recommendations and she said no! What is she expecting? Interestingly she did say that she gets REALLY hungry. She ate about the same as me but that in itself is far more than I would have been able to eat in my early days of being banded.

Then if I think of myself I could turn around and say that after 4 years my band is no longer working. Initially when I was banded I ate small portions, did not get hungry between meals, found it easy to refuse chocolate and cake and lost weight easily. Most of that is no longer true. I get hungry a lot quicker and I find it hard to say no to sweets and cake. In fact 2 days this week I had dessert instead of lunch! (note that was instead of not as well as). I have gained approx 4kg since my lowest weight. So I sometimes think that yes my band isnt working and yes a sleeve would be great but is that really true. I am still within normal BMI, I eat far less than anyone else I know and I eat a lot less than my friend that was recently sleeved!

Now if someone could hurry up and perfect that magic wand then maybe I wouldnt be so confused!

My band has slipped and my dr wants to put in the sleeve now, but the insurance won't cover unless I gain like 40lbs again and my bmi goes up. This is so wrong. I have an *** anyone know of a better way to get it approved?

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I haven't heard that from my insurance yet, the insurance woman seems awesome and told me to come back for my "next month" check-up but that we'd work on getting the sleeve approved quickly because of my "complication" of my band slipping. Now I've gained from Feb 2013 - 205 to current 242. I can eat anything - no more "stuck" either since all the Fluid is out. But I guess it depends on insurance. I have CIGNA OAP. I am pleased with replacing the band with the sleeve. No more fills - wasn't fond of the giant needle .

Tomorrow I am having all Fluid removed from band. I will be 10 months out of surgery and still at the same weight loss as I was 4 months in.

Granted these save 5 lbs lose. I only had a total of 4 fills.

Hopefully this will determine if I am too tight or this just isn't working for me. I am still considering the sleeve since even drinking Water which I love and crave causes me to belch like a man! I am on 6 meds that can cause dry mouth dehydration and appetite loss. I just wanted to turn 30 healthier and now I am 1 month away from 31 and weigh almost the same!

Sorry correction (Granted seems I lose the same 5 lbs)

Good luck with your journey phatcat. Hope there is an answer for you. How frustrating it must be. Don't give up. Be proud you are searching for satisfaction. Keep us posted

Thanks for the encouraging kind words!!

Ok soo Doc thinks there is a possible issue & has ordered an endoscopy next week. Meanwhile, removed some Fluid and made me stay long enough to drink 2 bottles of Water to see what happens.

When I got home I must admit I have tremendous pressure below my ribcage.

But I will say Today I had a 4 oz steak an didn't get stuck at ALL! And I am not belching as much even with Water. I feel content with my lil meal and I an not constantly burping. I hope this unfill is all I needed. Thinking of doing pouch test for weekend thru next week also!

I am in the same position i have been banded for 2 years and a couple of months ago my band slipped they removed all saline and then a month later they said it was back in place but now what the problem is that i am at 6cc's and feel no restriction at all which has me very upset and sad because i loved my band i have lost 97lbs but i have gained back 35lbs i want to turn to the sleeve and my nurse's practitioner agrees fingers crossed that i can have it done my ins will cover it so lets see what my surgeon says on thursday I am glad to hear such great results about the sleeve :)

I am in the same position i have been banded for 2 years and a couple of months ago my band slipped they removed all saline and then a month later they said it was back in place but now what the problem is that i am at 6cc's and feel no restriction at all which has me very upset and sad because i loved my band i have lost 97lbs but i have gained back 35lbs i want to turn to the sleeve and my nurse's practitioner agrees fingers crossed that i can have it done my ins will cover it so lets see what my surgeon says on thursday I am glad to hear such great results about the sleeve :)

I am beginning to feel very upset with the band! I suffer from PCOS, high blood pressure, severe acid reflux, which led to a hiatal hernia. I had my gallbladder removed prior to surgery. Now I am finding all my COSTLY follow up visits and Still no weight loss and now reflux is back! I belch like a man constantly even when I take my Vitamins. I cant go to dinner with friends cuz Im embarrassed to get stuck in public and now that i am 10 months out of surgery and my friends as how much have you lost? I am humiliated that I turned to drastic weight loss surgery and look the same!! So I avoid going out all together. My friend had the sleeve same comorbidities as I, and she lost 70 lbs and really doesn't require much out of pocket follow up!

And this is for Life????? Since surgery I had 2 seizures (which I never had before)

Adding Anti Anxiety meds and anti siezure meds to my list of meds including 1000ml metformin and Migraine meds.

I am beginning to feel very upset with the band! I suffer from PCOS' date=' high blood pressure, severe acid reflux, which led to a hiatal hernia. I had my gallbladder removed prior to surgery. Now I am finding all my COSTLY follow up visits and Still no weight loss and now reflux is back! I belch like a man constantly even when I take my Vitamins. I cant go to dinner with friends cuz Im embarrassed to get stuck in public and now that i am 10 months out of surgery and my friends as how much have you lost? I am humiliated that I turned to drastic weight loss surgery and look the same!! So I avoid going out all together. My friend had the sleeve same comorbidities as I, and she lost 70 lbs and really doesn't require much out of pocket follow up!

And this is for Life????? Since surgery I had 2 seizures (which I never had before)

Adding Anti Anxiety meds and anti siezure meds to my list of meds including 1000ml metformin and Migraine meds.[/quote']

Sorry you're struggling.

It's possible having the band too tight for too long did some damage. What were the results of your scope?

Just curious, do you track your calories?