Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression/anxiety Questions + Will They Say No Because Of Too Many Meds?

Hello!

I just recently posted an intro about myself in the intro forum and I got some really great feedback and advice, so I thought I'd ask a question specific to this group -- if anyone has anything they'd like to share, I'd really appreciate it!

So, I have depression and anxiety...both of which are pretty severe (when unmedicated). At this point in my life I'm doing very well in dealing with my mental health -- I am on medication and I feel good, most of the time. But it does go up and down sometimes (though definitely not as often as it had a couple of years ago). I'm concerned that the psychologist who interviews me/talks to me during my screening process (I think that's what it's called) will think that I'm not ready or that since I have depression and anxiety at the level that I do (even though it's well treated), I'm not a good candidate for surgery.

If someone could give me a general idea about how the psych evaluation works and what it is that they take into consideration and how it sort of works, I would really, really appreciate it.

Oh, one other thing. I'm also on a lot of medication. I don't mean that in a bad way -- I just mean that I've been seeing a doctor (who's considered to be at the top of her field in my area) for years and throughout those years we've come up with a combination of meds that, when put together, make it better and effectively treat my anxiety and depression. But it's a long list of morning and night time meds (even a few in the afternoon -- for energy). Do you think this could be an issue as well? What I'm really trying to do is predict what might cause a problem or stop/delay me from being accepted to get the surgery done (and not by insurance, I mean by the actual weight loss surgery center/program).

Sorry for the long post. Again, any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Don't be sorry for asking questions, it's how you learn :)

Granted I'm not a doctor, but from what I can tell about the psychological evaluation they're making sure you're mentally and emotionally stable and don't have an eating disorders or suicidal tendacies.

It would seem to me you'd have a problem passing if you weren't already on meds and under a doctor's supervision. The fact you are shows you're taking responsibility and control over your situation and would likely be in your favor. I honestly don't think you'll have a problem.

For the record, at the time of my psych eval I was on Xanax as well quite a few other meds. I too have suffered with anxiety attacks for years as well as depression. I was honest about all this and didn't have a problem.

I honestly think you don't have anything to worry about.

I am 2½ years out. I have clinical depression. I have had it for many years. I do take meds but not too many, and as long as I am taking them I have very few bad days.

That being said I was self pay and did not have to any of these tests. I was in therapy at the time. One thing you might want to consider is that these meds might make you be a slower loser. Are you an emotional eater? A comfort eater? I was both even with meds. I have had to make a point to not use food in that way any more.

Someone else can tell you about these tests but I say be honest. If you are under a Doctor's care than you are already doing what is right for you and I can not see why you would be flagged for that reason. Also my depression and anxiety did not get any better with the 84 lbs that I have lost an kept off as they were not caused from the weight. But the everyday workouts did help! Good luck to you!

Cheri

no worries! I suffer from the same as well and take meds, several to be honest. it did not hinder it at all. in fact the psychiatrist that did my eval said that maybe lapband will help with some of the depression. trust me, you will be fine, just try not to over think it.

Lappyloo :blink:

Thanks everyone! You guys have been really helpful! Now I don't feel so worried about my psych evaluation and meds :)

Yes, and the weight loss will definately help the depression! I used to take: Celexa 40 mg, Wellbutrin, and Abilify everyday. Starting about a year ago, my psychiatrist started weaning me off my antidepressants and now I only take a small dose of Celexa. That's the next one to go tho. I'm much happier now that I've lost the weight (and I'm remarried, that helps alot!)

I was on numerous meds (for back pain, thyroid, and depression) WHEN I had my psych eval done almost 3 yrs ago. Basically they want to see that you're strong enuf mentally to not break down during the losing process. I passed. I think you would have to be hearing voices or something drastic not to pass the psych eval!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! You'll do fine! And you might be off most of your meds soon! The only thing I take now is Celexa, Syntrhoid (for my thyroid), and a lo dose pain medication for my back. It's nice to not have to take all those meds everyday! Off my high blood pressure meds too!

Marci

@marfar7

Thanks for your response! I'm so happy for you for getting better and for feeling so much better! Thanks for the support and encouragement, it really helps to know that someone has been where I've been and has "made it to the other side" as well as gotten so much better! Thank you!

I was on meds too for depresson they had my thrirpitst write and fax in a letter about me and my meds and if i was stable and what my personally was like. It must have worked becuse all the sudden i was aproved for sugery very waiting and waiting

It may be that because you are already under your psychologists care that he can write a reccomendation for you and you bypass a different psychologist. Good luck with your decisions and I don't think you will have any problems with getting approval For being on Meds.

weight.png

Thanks for the great advice and support everybody! You've all been super helpful! I'm now realllly excited about getting the band and am no longer worried about the meds (though I will still discuss them with my doctor/surgeon, of course). Thank you all!!!!