Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trip To The Er Today...

I am 15 days out and this morning I started experiencing absolutely excruciating pain in my left side, shoulder and neck.

I have a very high threshold for pain and almost never end up in tears over it, but boy was a crying today. It hurt to move and breathe for crying out loud. My surgeon sent me to the ER

Had a chest xray and ct scan on my stomach as well as blood tests, everything came back okay. They gave me an IV with morphine and that didn't even touch the pain. 7 hours & $150 later I'm back home and still in terrible pain.

My guess is that its belated gas pains. My surgeon took me off mushies & put me back on liquids. Hopefully that helps!

What a day! Thanks for letting me rant!

I hope you feel better soon. Trapped gas has even been congused with a heart attack because of the pain.

Walk it out is the best advice i can give

As Honk, mentioned, maybe it's a nerve? I've read on here about some banders have the band (I think) placement and it pinches a nerve (can't remember which one at this point but maybe you could do a search to see who on here has had that problem?). Hope you find some relief soon!

Almost a year after my surgery, I woke up with excruciating stomach pain. After trying to get thru it, I ended up at the Urgent Care center in town. The dr then handed me a note to the ER doc saying "possibel surgical patient". Scared the crap out of me. They gave me Dilaudid in an IV (then I was fine) and did a CT. They found nothing wrong with my band - I had diverticulitis. They gave me antibiotics and pain pills and sent me home. I felt better after a couple of days. I remember bargaining with God tho that if my band had slipped, I wasn't going to throw up anymore (thought I had caused a slip by vomiting almost everyday).

I know how it feels to not know if it's your band. It sucks and it's very scary. Good luck!

Marci

I am 15 days out and this morning I started experiencing absolutely excruciating pain in my left side, shoulder and neck.

I have a very high threshold for pain and almost never end up in tears over it, but boy was a crying today. It hurt to move and breathe for crying out loud. My surgeon sent me to the ER

Had a chest xray and ct scan on my stomach as well as blood tests, everything came back okay. They gave me an IV with morphine and that didn't even touch the pain. 7 hours & $150 later I'm back home and still in terrible pain.

My guess is that its belated gas pains. My surgeon took me off mushies & put me back on liquids. Hopefully that helps!

What a day! Thanks for letting me rant!

goodness me... im sorry you had to go through that. It must have been awful it the morphine didnt touch it. How are you now?

goodness me... im sorry you had to go through that. It must have been awful it the morphine didnt touch it. How are you now?

Yes...definately let us know. Hope and praying you are doing well.

Blessings!

Thank you all for the replies! I am feeling much better today. I still get a Sharp pain in my left side but it is nothing compared to yesterday. I think going from liquids to mushies caused some sort of gas situation- that's the only thing I can think of. I hope no one else has to deal with the same thing!

I am sooooo sorry!!! I am experiencing horrible pain in mybleft ribs...its just awful...i know its the gas but it sure feels like broken ribs...i cant even take deep breaths....just taking lots of simethicone and walking!!! Please let us know when you are feeling better..i will pray for you and myself. Lol..xoxo

Almost a year after my surgery' date=' I woke up with excruciating stomach pain. After trying to get thru it, I ended up at the Urgent Care center in town. The dr then handed me a note to the ER doc saying "possibel surgical patient". Scared the crap out of me. They gave me Dilaudid in an IV (then I was fine) and did a CT. They found nothing wrong with my band - I had diverticulitis. They gave me antibiotics and pain pills and sent me home. I felt better after a couple of days. I remember bargaining with God tho that if my band had slipped, I wasn't going to throw up anymore (thought I had caused a slip by vomiting almost everyday).

I know how it feels to not know if it's your band. It sucks and it's very scary. Good luck!

Marci[/quote']

Diverticulitis can be worse than a band slipping...my brother had it and was very ill...he did have to have surgery. Scares me but I can't seem to give up nuts....I already had a slipped band and when I had it fixed I had forgotten about the gas pain till bout 3-4 hours after surgery....then I did not lay back down till I went home....good luck, this too shall pass...no pun intended!

Thank you all for the replies! I am feeling much better today. I still get a Sharp pain in my left side but it is nothing compared to yesterday. I think going from liquids to mushies caused some sort of gas situation- that's the only thing I can think of. I hope no one else has to deal with the same thing!

i had exactly the same thing, and it was horrific. i was bent over a lot of the time. now its not such a problem, but i do get some gas later of a night. My digestive system still hasnt quite adjusted fully to the new eating plan. So, yes, in my experience its normal what you went through. we are all different, some intestines are more sensitive than others. You will be o.k. once the transition to a new eating plan is well in place. i hope you dont get gas of a night like I do. its not uncomfortable but i dont like it.