Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

? About Anesthesia With The Surgery

I would like to hear from those of you who have already had the surgery. I am suppose to have it in Aug/Sept.

My biggest fear is the gas. They ~the nurses~said that a shot is administered that puts you to sleep and then they give you the gas. I have had traumatic episodes with gas. Although a long time ago. 30 -40 years ago. Hallucinations, couldn't go under, etc.

Can any of you give me some insight into this?

This really is petrifying me!

Thanks, Kathie

I was completely out before I was given any gas. I would talk to your surgeon and explain your past. They may have some insight as to what caused it and more than likely can avoid it happening again.

About two weeks before I had my surgery my 13 year old had to be sedated for earwax removal (same place as my surgery). He has sensory issues and we had talked to the anesthesiologist about not starting the IV until he was in the OR and had the gas going. The anesthesiologist explained that sometimes with the gas only people "fight" going under. He talked to us and my son and was great helping him through the IV placement that he did himself.

Hopefully some of this information will be helpful to you!

Kathie, if you had a bad experience with the gas years ago, apparently your concerned about it now. Because of this your sub conscious mind will drag this up into your conscious mind and again it will be difficult going under. I would suggest seeing a hypnotherapist and have a couple of sessions one for the stress of going under along with relaxation techniques, and to Learn self hypnosis where you can visualize the procedure to overcome your fear.

Just so you know, in the medical field you can have surgery without anesthesia, but would need a number of sessions to be comfortable with it. Just to give you some facts, it is used in the OR by a qualified hypnotherapist and even in the dental office for root canal, etc. In fact, hypnosis has been used to control bleeding, and in emergent situations at disaster scenes. Talk to a qualified hypnotherapist, go online, you can find a directory of who might be in your area. I have had much success with clients who use hypnosis to overcome this fear.

gas? did I have gas? I had a sore throat when I woke up, but if they gave me gas I didn't know it...

I'm with you sasha

Just remember that your experience was a long time ago. It must have been very unpleasant to leave you with such memories. First of all, discuss it with your surgeon AND anaesthesiologist. That way they can prepare for and hopefully avoid a recurrence.

But also be reassured that medicine has come along way in the last three to four decades and the drugs they use now will probably be different to what you had back then.

In pre-op I was given a dose, actually two doses, of something to relax me......and oh boy did it. I was feeling so loopy I had a hard time schoochin my bum onto the operating table lol. After I got on the table, they started to strap me in, and put a mask over my mouth and nose. They then told me to count backwards from ten, I have had a few surgeries, and I never get past ten and I'm out. I'm sure anesthesia has improved greatly over the last thirty years, but like everyone else said, mention your past problem when you do your pre-op. Good luck to you!!!

WOW...I woke up this Sunday morning and I have new friends and sista's!

Elcee,Gottobeme and Sasha, this is what the nurses told me. I would be out before the gas was given. Hypnosis, I never heard of this. This is very interesting. I was kinda wondering about what Sage said. It has been a long time and I have had the laughing gas at the dentist and didnt freak out. I am hoping that I will be where Muelle was,.....lol....OUT OF IT and not giving a s#$t.

Thank you all, seriously! This is a wonderful site. I am so glad you are all here!!