Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excited To Meet My Feet!

Hello all. Brand new to the site and I'm 2 weeks Pre-op. My brain seems to be trying to sabotage me into not getting the surgery but I know it's something I definitely need and will benefit greatly from. I'm seeming to be grieving the loss of my ability to eat what I want, when I want. I've lived a very hedonistic lifestyle and have always catered to myself. Not to mention giving up the drink... Feels like I'm losing my entire social life. Will it ever return? I've lost a great deal of weight in the past using a pill called phentermine, but I gained anxiety attacks and other issues, and eventually the weight returned. It was amazing how differently I was treated though and how good I felt. I can't wait to reach that state again.

I've seen mostly women posting on this site and while I congratulate you ladies on all your successes, I'd like to get another guy's perspective on this surgery. I personally don't know anyone that's had the lap band and I'd like to hear both sides of the spectrum.

Best of luck to all and I look forward to giving/receiving lots of support on this site!

Andy

Hi Andy...

Im just over 2 months banded....and honestly I knew I wanted this surgery 10 yrs ago but had to wait till I had insurance....and since I have started this the 6 month diet and learning how to eat I have never regreated any of it...I also was worryed about ....never eatting as I was eatting but ...my Dr reminded me...eatting like I was ...is why I was morbidly obease !!! and because of that I couldnt enjoy life or my family like I do now...So many non scale victorys I see now...im not always worryed about if my butt hangs off the bleacher at a ball game...my bellie doesnt rub against the stearing wheel of the car....I dont have the kids getting things for me all the time....sounds crazy but I enjoy jumping up off the couch. I know its only going to get better....socially Im more out going and people respond to that...Good Luck...

Dee...

Congrats, Andy!

I think it's normal to feel like that in the beginning, especially when you're so soon after surgery and not back eating real food yet. I know I did, too.

The thing is, there is no reason you have to give up what you love entirely or your social life. It just changes a little. For one thing, despite many people reporting the inability to eat Pasta or breads once they have restriction, that's not always the case. I have excellent restriction, but as long as I take really tiny bites and chew like crazy, I can eat anything I want.

You'll also be surprised how much your tastes will change as your eating habits do. I was a HUGE junk food junkie. I really think I was a sugar addict. Now, because my body is used to eating so much healthier, I don't miss it at all. In fact, much to my shock, my cravings have even changed. Do you know how shocking it is to be craving a salad when normally I'd be craving a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup? *laughs*

I also allow myself one freebie day a month. After my fills (once I'm off liquids) or my doctor's appointment if no fill, I have anything I want for dinner and don't count calories. I also allow myself any desert I want. Last night happened to be that night for me, so we went to Chili's where I had a cup of my favorite Soup and Pasta. I really wasn't craving any sweets, so I am saving my monthly desert splurge for another time.

But here's the thing- I was only able to eat my cup of Soup and about six bites of pasta before I felt positively stuffed. For me, that's the beauty of the band, because even when I do have my freebie meal or treat, I don't do any weight damage because I can't gorge on it like I used to before I was banded.

Things will change but for the better :)

BTW, I lost considerable weight on Phentermine many years ago, too. Problem is, I gained it all back and then some when I stopped taking it.

..I also was worryed about ....never eatting as I was eatting but ...my Dr reminded me...eatting like I was ...is why I was morbidly obease !!! and because of that I couldnt enjoy life or my family like I do now...

Wow this is such a huge statement and so true for all of us. I went through the same thing agonizing over whether or not to do it because I may not be able to eat the same foods.....DUH that's the whole point.

Sorry Andy I didn't mean to hijack your thread. You asked for a guys perspective so that being said I am only a week out post op just having surgery on April 16. Everyone is different and I am very big and have a lot to lose. That being said so far I am seeing the weight falling off me. I see it and feel it. Surgery is a big step so do plenty of research and if you plan to use insurance be sure to ask for your companies policy in writing some insurances require a 6month supervised diet before they will approve.

I would do this over again in heartbeat. Wish I did it years ago...

Good Luck, Jim

I was banded yesterday and im excited to eat healthier, Im going to miss 2 things mostly: popcorn and chicken and dumplings! Lol I will have popables instead of popcorn, though, and its similar AND healthier :) BTW, I have a male friend 36 pounds down on lap band and would be more but he has a lot more muscle now! Dont forget Protein is very important in not losing muscle, especially in men.

Heres an off topic question for you, how do you add a profile picture? I have the site and Android app.

Thanks, and good luck!!

Banded 11/28/11. Remember this. Everyone reacts differently to the band. Your journey will most likely not track with anyone else. You may be wildly successful in the beginning or it may take a few months.

For me, the biggest fear was giving up cheeseburgers, prime rib and all the other stuff that satiates my body. Fact is, I can still eat those products, but not as much and I'm OK with that.

If I had to do this over again, I think I'd still do it, but I'd be more discreet. I pretty much told everyone I was going to do it and then afterwards told everyone I did it. Now I get questioned constantly on how much weight I've lost? And in the beginning it was very slow for me so I wasn't able to wow folks with my rapid reduction in size. That's when all the skinny folks chime in with the "why don't you just ______!(fill in the words here). You know what I mean? Why don't I just walk more, jog more, eat more grapefruit, take this Vitamin or do this extreme workout for 3 hours a day?

Look me up anytime if you have questions or need to lean on someone. I know I still have a lot more journey to go but it is getting better. I'll be going in for my 6th fill soon. I think I'm an anomally with the fills but I can't get it tight enough for some reason. Good luck bud.

I was terrified of not being able to eat and drink what I wanted. It's been 2 years (almost). It doesn't bother me in the least. I eat and get satisfied like I used to. If I indulge in a drink or 2 every now and then.... so be it. I don't over induldge. I wondered how my life would ever be the same. It's not... it is so much better!!!!! Believe me, you will adjust and you won't even notice!

I've lost a great deal of weight in the past using a pill called phentermine' date=' but I gained anxiety attacks and other issues, and eventually the weight returned. It was amazing how differently I was treated though and how good I felt. I can't wait to reach that state again.[/quote']

I also used phentermine and lost 60 in 6 months but like you I gained it all back and started suffering from anxiety attacks.

I agree with what everyone has written in this thread...especially with the realization that the habits we are the most anxious about changing are the unhealthy ones which got us to the point of surgery.

I also want to add that though it is true that for most of us, we can eat pretty much anything we want post-op (just in much smaller and healthier sized portions), this surgery is a life changing event. It was recommended for me to get a copy of the book "Bandwagon" (sorry I don't recall the author's name...) to use as another tool.

This surgery requires that each of us develop a different, healthier relationship with food. And, just like the other types of addictions, we actually can go through a grieving process as we make this emotional adjustment to our new lifestyle. Initial "what was I thinking" regrets are commonly reported, but these pass quickly.

I keep my focus on the prize of better health, and take one day at a time.

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!

I totally agree with everyone. Getting the band was the best decision I have ever made. I'm three years post-op now and the weight loss has been slow, but I am ok with that. I'm 60 lbs lighter than I was three years ago!

I had my band filled in January. I'm happy with my weight loss--36 pounds. I'm still having trouble figuring out what to eat and when, but for the most part, I can still eat the same things, just less. fwiw, I'm vegan, so getting enough nutrients is a concern for me. I am still able to eat greens and whole grains.

I think you would have to give up beer because of the carbonation, but I still occasionally have mixed drinks with flat soda. If you have a well drink at a bar, it's usually flat anyway, lol. I just joined, but I saw a guy post who lost a ton of weight and has washboard abs now. I'll never be that guy, but hopefully I will still have enough success to satisfy me. Honestly, I would be happy just to get under 200, and I'm 219 right now.