Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bcbs...is It True?

The BCBS rep is the one that initially told me :)

Never believe what you are told on the phone...they make mistakes, too. Find it in writing. Ask them to email the policy to you. But do get the names of the people you are speaking with, and the dates and times of the calls.

Most companies have their policies online. The information is usually on your card. I found my companies (BCBS CA Access + H M O) website, signed up, got the policy info there, got their brochure info (federal employee), called the company twice and spoke to two different people. THEN I was satisfied I had the information I needed to proceed.

I am glad you found the new information!!!

Ii have BCBS of Texas for state employees and they are the worst in Texas for else. It can be different for each segment of BCBS.

Never believe what you are told on the phone...they make mistakes, too. Find it in writing. Ask them to email the policy to you. But do get the names of the people you are speaking with, and the dates and times of the calls.

Most companies have their policies online. The information is usually on your card. I found my companies (BCBS CA Access + H M O) website, signed up, got the policy info there, got their brochure info (federal employee), called the company twice and spoke to two different people. THEN I was satisfied I had the information I needed to proceed.

I am glad you found the new information!!!

That is a great idea! I worry that I am getting the wrong information. For now, at least until my consultation I am sticking with the pre-op diet. Thanks for the advice :)

Ii have BCBS of Texas for state employees and they are the worst in Texas for else. It can be different for each segment of BCBS.

I don't even live in Texas but my husband works off-shore, his plan has been good to us so far so lets hope it continues to be!

Does BCBS cover plication? I have Fed BCBS and its not covered (or it wasnt covered 6 months ago)

Not that I am aware of but my surgeon was saying since it is still new I might be able to get it for free. Either way I would self pay for plication add on because it sounds like what I am looking for :)

I love Lapband Talk :) Everyone is so supportive and I feel like I have people that understand what I am going through. Thanks for keeping positive thoughts!

I started process with BCBS last January and had surgery in May...I had to lose like 10% of my weight, not 6 months wait...

Geez 10% that seems ridiculous.

Hi Ilikebunnies..lol I love the name :)

I too Like you was very skeptical about the rumors. I however went to the BCBS IL site and checked there. They do not require the 6 month diet anymore, they do state that you have to be properly educated and understand what you are about to do. I went in and looked it up under the medical policies there and it stated way at the bottom of the what seemed like 100 page document that they had made the changes earlier this year.

The only thing that I would be concerned about is what you company has for exclusions and if they have anything attached to what is needed or not needed.

I am awaiting the approval as we speak. Mine was submitted on the 1st and I have still to hear back on it. I cant wait to know one way or the other cause I really just want to know if there is something else that I must do. I will report back when I hear back!!

Hi Ilikebunnies..lol I love the name :)

I too Like you was very skeptical about the rumors. I however went to the BCBS IL site and checked there. They do not require the 6 month diet anymore, they do state that you have to be properly educated and understand what you are about to do. I went in and looked it up under the medical policies there and it stated way at the bottom of the what seemed like 100 page document that they had made the changes earlier this year.

The only thing that I would be concerned about is what you company has for exclusions and if they have anything attached to what is needed or not needed.

I am awaiting the approval as we speak. Mine was submitted on the 1st and I have still to hear back on it. I cant wait to know one way or the other cause I really just want to know if there is something else that I must do. I will report back when I hear back!!

Yes please keep in touch :) I have my consult, psych eval, and one on one with the nutritionist on May 16th. I am so excited and want to get this process moving so I can see if I am approved or not. Maybe we will get banded this summer around the same time :)

I am insured by Anthem BCBS I live in OK has anyone had any issues getting a approved through them my BMI is 39 with comorb(Sleep apnea high BP, Diabetes. I'm just getting started