Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You Could Really Turn Back Time, Would You Get Banded Again??

Yes my green zone. I have 5.3 in my 10cc band ;-)

No.

Yes....I am 4 years out, diabetic free, lost 65 lbs. Yes the band is a lifetime commitment. Got to eat slowly from now on. Why does small bites and slow eating concern you?

My style of eating has always been to take pretty big bites and eat really, really fast. That's probably a big part of why I need to lose weight, besides terrible food choices. I am just a very impatient person in general. It seems so tedious and boring to sit there and chew, chew, chew. If I'm not hungry, it won't be that bad. It seems like the end result of this is that I'm not going to enjoy eating anymore; it might become a tedious task. Plus, I like to guzzle down a big beverage while I eat - can't do that anymore!!!

I am just being realistic - I haven't even had a consultation yet, even though I have a surgery date (I told you I'm impatient!). I'm self paying (my insurance absolutely will not cover it, there is an exclusion), so that is a LOT of $ to spend. I can see myself saying,

"take this *(&^ thing OUT!!!!"

Yea, I need to lose a LOT of weight, but I've needed to lose weight for years and years and years. It is purely a health thing, vanity is no longer an issue. Of course, health is

always most important. No offense to anyone, but it sounds absolutely restrictive and mundane, so I'm just weighing all the pros and cons, because I do realize it is a HUGE decision.

Plus I'm pretty paranoid. I can imagine getting home and having one weird pain and thinking someone horrendous is happening to my body. That is something else I'm going to have to deal with. We don't live near any type of health facility, so I feel isolated when it comes to such emergency situations, so that is a big consideration.

Like I said in the beginning, I'm on the fence - and today I am on the negative side of the fence - but trying to cross on over and go through with it.

Thanks again for all the responses and for reading my rant!! :)

I am on the fence as well... Love the result of how easy it appeared to lose weight, when in fact we still work very very had to lose it.

if it didnt come with all the emotional and mental crap it would be an easier yes than no.

No

Edited by kittyb2000

No, I definately wouldn't have lap band ! I don't know too much about gastric bypass but in hindsight, that seems more realistic to me now. I felt that the lap band would be less invasive and body altering. I lost the recommended 13lbs. pre-surgically. My surgery went fantastic. I had it done at 5 PM and I was back home by 9PM same day. Next day, and for about a week I had severe gas pain in my chest. I had some incision pain for about 3 weeks. I am 20 months post surgery. I have only lost 50 lbs., I get "stuck" every day and I am hungry alot. Sometimes I even get stuck on Water. I have had fills then fills removed, more fills, more removed, finally I thought things were great and then almost every time I ate.... the food got stuck, so I opted to have some removed and haven't gone back to the doctor as I am disgusted. My goal was to lose 134 lbs.. I don't think I will ever even hit 100lbs. One year ago I was cooking roast beef. I took it out of the oven and took a teeny bite to see how it tasted and immediately got stuck. I ended up going to the ER because after 6 hours, I couldn't get unstuck. I was constantly "slimeing" large amounts, I tried to vomit because that is what it felt like I should do. I think I brought up the meat but a mucous ball had formed blocking everything up. I was on the brink of hysteria. It happened about 2 PM and I finally was back home in bed at 1 AM. Very tiring and discouraging day for me and I will never forget. Cost me $1500 in the ER and that is WITH insurance. Some days I am tearing the kitchen apart trying to find low cal. food to eat cause I'm hungery alot. Other days, I am full after eating a few bites and feel like I will vomit if I go on, which is fine, that is what I want. But I would like more consistency. I also feel severely guilty wasting food. I must also say that my exercise routine is lacking because I had a knee replacement in July and now my other knee is also going bad and I'm probably headed for knee replacement #2 . I think the best part of this is that I now drink lots of water. I used to drink copious amounts of soda,but no more soda. That is my discouraging story. Maybe other people had better luck than I did.

I appreciate your honesty, and I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Have you considered being checked out by a different bariatric doctor, like a 2nd opinion? I wish you well on your journey.

Thete is a lot of emotional and mental crap that goes with this. No one at True Results bothered to explain this. Too busy seeing $$$$ signs. Talk to someone about the mental stuff before you consider ANY weight loss surgery.

Would YOU really do it all over again?? Hindsight is 20/20. What do you think??

Well if I could turn back time I would have learned to eat correctly as a child, been more active and never blown up to 377 lbs. But... turning back time to when I made the decision to be banded....No question...I absolutly would do it again.

Dont get me wrong...I have worked very hard to lose 176 lbs. And I still have 34 lbs to go. But the band has been by far the most effective tool in helping me lose the weight. Even now... I have been weaning myself to a less strict diet and the band is right there...letting me know when I am full and keeping me in check.

Best of luck to you.

I was on the fence for YEARS. Banded 3-21-12 . Slow loser because I can't exercise/disabled. I am so pleased. No problems yet. I was so scared and wasted time. I now have hope and have lost 20 lbs. Meds are being reduced. Bloodwork numbers better. food cravings are gone and I never thought that was possible. I only choose healthy foods. I now eat to live...used to live to eat. All the foods I mourned that I could not ever eat again...I don t miss. When I read band friendly recipes I felt better about getting the band. There are so many ways to get the flovors and versions of foods you miss. I would do this again only years ago. Melvan

The day I had the surgery I would have said NO WAY! It was pretty painful afterward. But today, I would most definitely do it again. I'm very pleased with the results I've had so far. I know they're nothing like some people have had, but for me, it's pretty dang good.

Seems to me for every one person that says, "no way would I ever do this again", 25 more say, "absolutely, this was th best decision ever!!" I am one of the 25. Love my band. Love that food is becoming mundane! How many times have I prayed over the years to be able to lose my love of foods!?!?! Thank u band! U truly are my best friend!

My style of eating has always been to take pretty big bites and eat really' date=' really fast. That's probably a big part of why I need to lose weight, besides terrible food choices. I am just a very impatient person in general. It seems so tedious and boring to sit there and chew, chew, chew. If I'm not hungry, it won't be that bad. It seems like the end result of this is that I'm not going to enjoy eating anymore; it might become a tedious task. Plus, I like to guzzle down a big beverage while I eat - can't do that anymore!!!

I am just being realistic - I haven't even had a consultation yet, even though I have a surgery date (I told you I'm impatient!). I'm self paying (my insurance absolutely will not cover it, there is an exclusion), so that is a LOT of to spend. I can see myself saying,

"take this *(&^ thing OUT!!!!"

Yea, I need to lose a LOT of weight, but I've needed to lose weight for years and years and years. It is purely a health thing, vanity is no longer an issue. Of course, health is

always most important. No offense to anyone, but it sounds absolutely restrictive and mundane, so I'm just weighing all the pros and cons, because I do realize it is a HUGE decision.

Plus I'm pretty paranoid. I can imagine getting home and having one weird pain and thinking someone horrendous is happening to my body. That is something else I'm going to have to deal with. We don't live near any type of health facility, so I feel isolated when it comes to such emergency situations, so that is a big consideration.

Like I said in the beginning, I'm on the fence - and today I am on the negative side of the fence - but trying to cross on over and go through with it.

Thanks again for all the responses and for reading my rant!! :)[/quote']

Sounds to me you are not emotionally ready to make a change in your life. The band is only a tool and you have to be prepared to change your eating habits. If your not willing to do that, then yes you will fail and waste your money. If your going to be worried about all the "can't haves" vs. the "health benefits" No weightless surgery will be effective. Surgery is a huge step, yes, it can be VERY rewarding, but you have to take responsibility for your actions and become accountable with your food choices. Food has an emotional attachment. I would suggest talking this over with a therapist before going any further. Sorry, just being honest. I personally knew that I wanted surgery, was prepared for all the changes, went In with my eyes wide open. I still have moments where I want to run to food for emotional comfort. The band will not stop me from making poor food choices on my part. It requires daily mindfulness to eat correctly. Would I do it all over again? Absolutely! It has given me an opportunity like others to "eat to live, not live to eat" that is something I never learned as a child. Think long and hard about your decision. It shouldn't be an impulsive act. Good luck in your journey.

If I'm being honest, I have asked myself many times why I got the band. I have had it for almost 3 years and have yo-yo'd with it. My biggest problem BY FARRR was the emotional toll it took on me knowing I physically could not eat what I wanted and when I wanted. The times I couldn't handle not eating "freely," I got an unfill just to allow myself to eat more. I should mention that I did have a baby since I've been banded and that was one of the main reasons I had the procedure. At 250, I was unable to get pregnant and my husband and I desperately wanted another child after the death of first son.

It has been a year and a half now since giving birth and I am forcing myself to finally DEAL with the fact that I got this band for a reason and it's time I face the emotion grip food had on me. I still have bad days but I am very happy I did have this procedure done rather than dealing with the torture I was putting myself through by overeating and making myself and my life miserable. I am down 50 lbs and my quality of life has not been better. I am more confident and am able to enjoy life now without feeling self-conscious about my weight. That is priceless.

Point is, YES I would do it again. Please stick with it, if it gets hard, try and determine what it is you are struggling with and try and face those struggles head on. You will be glad you stuck with it. Best of luck to you.

I haven't been banded yet but there's one thing I can't get out of my head...nothing tastes as good as skinny feels...I can't wait to be down to a feeling of thin..I don't care what I have to go through to get it...I want to be healthy and have more energy and feel good standing next to my skinny hubby...lol..good luck everyone..can't wait till its my chance