Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Potatoes not prozac

I am reading it.. (kathleen Desmainsons PhD)

someone here reccomended it to me and I ordered it and since It came I havent been able to put it down.

and I thought I knew everything..

Its about sugar addcition..

Its amazing, It has alot of scientific fact in it that I understand and Thats REAL imortant to me when I am trying to take in what someone is trying to tell me..

I am Not into the food plan stage yet, but I did read in one part so far that I can eat a potatoe with skin at night... and that will help. (sugar cravings and all the ups and downs I experience due to it)

THATS something I can do..

the first step is keep a food journal.. DONE..

Here are some things in the book that really hit home with me.. if you know me than you know how I frequently say how I am addicted to milk and juice and how drinking them makes me feel and how not having them makes me feel..

from the book:

when you eat sweet things regularily, your beta-endorphin system downregulkates over time, shuttinh down many of its receptors in an attempt to stem the influx of sugar-stimulated beta-endorphin and keep things on an even keel, so you need more sugar to get those good feelings. YOu end up feeling desperate. It has become even harder to stop because now you have withdrawl symptoms if you do....

You spend your life crawling through the days trying to keep withdrawl at bay. You end up feeling like a true addict-you cant live with your drug and you cant live without it. And you think the whole thing is stupid because, afyter all, for goodness sakes, its "just" sugar.

I mean I kinda knew all this but I never heard anyone state it like this author does.. I am really excited about reading and trying to follow this books advice.

Don't you feel validated when you have an explanation for your feelings....

Glad to see you are in less termoil about your food ....

(((hugs))))

Wow that does sound like a really good book... I should look into myself, I dont eat sweet all the time but when I do I cant stop. Its like drinking, once I start I cant stop, thats why I try not to drink!

Anyway... keep us update on how everthing turns out.

Nykee,

I have her book The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program which Kathleen DesMaisons wrote after that book. I would be happy to send it to you if you would like it.

Serena

That's great! I love being able to read something like that and say "phew, it's not all in my head!"

One of these days you'll bite the bullet and spend a weekend going through those withdrawal symptoms and then I bet after all that is over you'll feel better. :couch2:

Yay, Nykee!!

So glad you're finding it helpful! There were lots of revelations in there for me as well, and I thought maybe you'd like it.

:confused:

So glad I was right!!

:confused:

Hmmmm....... interseting. I think I need to read this book too. I really need to get my eyes checked though. I thought the title of your thread was "Potatoes on Prozac". LOL!! Thanks Nykee!

Darn, I thought we were getting a potato recipe and a good pill.

I'm living proof of food & chemical addictions - they consume me. Nyk, is that the real title? I'll read it with you.

Donali, THANK YOU for reminding me who gave me the advice for this book..

I AM LOVING IT.. I am usually cynical and think things like "I know, I know" BUt this book is really motivating.. its very scientific and its just really really really something I needed..

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Someone on this site is sending me another one of her books for free.. (ISNT THAT SOOOOO KIND)

I am really ready to try this..

I mean its simple really (the concept).. its just trying to cut sugars, use complex carbs.. (its the south beach diet.. lol)

BUt its not SHOWN as any diet and it really validates my addictions and how I feel day to day, its like the Book was meant JUST FOR ME..

I have said that I have tried it all... I have tried this in a small way, but I am going all for it this next time I go shopping.. in a week and a half

WHOLE grains.. wheat bread, wheat tortillas, green veggies.. etc..

I gotta kid who is going crazy (as I am) and it seems like it coiuld VERY easily be this sugar sensitivity... and I am extremeely motivated to TRY to get her on an even keel.. HOW wonderful if I DIDNT have to subject her to Prozac!

I AM EVEN considering a slight unfill.. so I can do this.. MEALS is KEY.. Protein is KEY (hard ones)

(I know many of you have been trying to tell me this)

I DID CALL my fill doctor TODAY .. I was gonna go TODAY

BUT she isnt in till APRIL.. so, we will see what happens...

YEAH!!!!