Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life the first 2 1/2 months

My surgery was 11/24/03. So that is 2 1/2 months but seems longer.

The band started to loosen up just before Christmas weekend. I talked to Dr. McKeen (who was also the surgeon) and he scheduled me in right after the New Year weekend. Consequently, by the end of the holidays I had reached the point where I was eating quite a lot of food. It was tough being able to eat during the holidays, but someone has to do it. I didn't want all those skinny people to get it all. But it did set me back and give me a very good understanding of how little the band really does when it is not filled.

When Dr. McKeen did the surgery, he left the band fairly deflated because I had a lot of swelling under the band and Fluid did not pass through the stoma (opening). The swelling was caused by the removal of fat around the top of the stomach before the band was placed on. I used an IV for a few nights after I got home, until the swelling was gone and I could take in the desired 64 oz. of Fluid without the IV. This was all visiting nurse stuff at home and I believe it was all covered by insurance. I don't know how often this problem comes up. It was a nuisance, but not life altering.

I went in and got that first fill. Dr. McKeen was very helpful, there was no discomfort. He used a topical on the skin so I couldn't feel the procedure. He is able to do a fill without using an x-ray, so this was at his office. He removed the saline that is in the band and compared that to the amount that was put in at the time of the surgery. The difference is what has found its way around within the band that stays there permanently, much in the way there is still air in a tire after you deflate it. He then put in a measured fill and made sure that I could swallow fluids adequately. Other then answering lots of questions that my wife and I had and my answering lots of questions he had, that was it.

As directed, I went on fluids for a few days and worked back to solid food. After I started eating normally again, I realized that I still could eat too much. This was Friday afternoon that first week. I called the Dr.'s office and he got right back to me. After discussing the situation he had me come in Monday for another fill. This one was with a greater amount of saline and has worked very effectively.

It was interesting to see how Dr. McKeen handled this. Some doctors apparently prefer to time the fills at specific intervals, but Dr. McKeen does not. McKeen does not think that there is any point in going thru the surgery and then not have the band working. You start gaining weight because you are not full and more food goes down. The whole idea is as a tool to help you with Portion Control.

If you're hungry, it is ineffective. At that point, if you, your friends and family or the doctor expect you to be loosing weight, the only tool you have going is the same old guilt trip. We all know how well that works and what destructive way that is to live. McKeen wants the band to be adjusted right and keep it that way. I say the more power to him!

I am very glad that I could afford to have Dr. McKeen and his group work on me. Other issues have come up where my regular doctor referred me back to McKeen and he is very knowledgeable, very accessible and listens well.

I have lost about 40 lbs to date. It takes work to eat the right foods all the time, but the band sure makes it easier.

Hi Grant,

I enjoyed reading about your progress thank you for sharing. It sounds like you are doing very well and really learning how to use your band for the 'tool' that it is.

I am glad that you have such a knowledgable doctor and one that seems to understand the emotions behind our ability to lose weight after having undergone such a dramatic process to get the help the band can provide.

Good luck to you as you continue forward. I think you are doing great!:confused:

Grant

I appreciate McKeen, most doctors make you wait 6 weeks for your fist fill. Before my band was placed I went though food withdrawals, facing that I will no longer be able to eat some foods ever again. By my 4th week I could eat almost anything. I wish I would have know him then, the doctor that did my first fill at 6 weeks post op didn't think I needed a fill but I insisted.

McKeen listens to his patients.

Grant you are doing great.