Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introductions? Yes Please

scorpiolady
Sign in to follow this  

Phoenix :)

Hello Everyone,

My name is Teri. I am a 43 yr old mother of two. I have a 16yr old daughter and 13yr old son. I have been married 22 years and overweight all my life. My surgery date is April, 13th.

Like all of you I have lost, only to gain more than I lost several times. Also, like most of you, I am afraid of failure with the band. When I tell people I am having the surgery I am usually quick to tell them it is only a tool and I can gain the weight back if I don't use it correctly. I try to be open with everybody because I feel it is easier in the long run and may help me to be more accountable in the future. I also hope by letting people know I may make a connection to someone else out there who is contemplating surgery and needs someone to talk to.

I have been working with my doctors since August and have lost 63 lbs. I am happy with the weight loss so far but also frustrated with myself because the last month I have been +/- 3 lbs every time I weigh myself. I am not sticking well to my plan so I know it is my fault. I don't know if actually having the date scheduled has added to my lack of stick-to-it-ness (I just made up that word! lol) or not. I am looking forward to a liquid diet so I can start dropping again. Like Elizabethanne mentioned I am also good at sticking to a more rigid diet, but not long term.

Unlike several of you I HATE to cook! I think this could be detrimental to me post-op. It is so much easier to pop a frozen anything (high in fat, additives, etc) into the oven. I am being a bad mother most days, when my kids ask what's for dinner I tell them I'm having....(usually some sort of vegetable or a salad). You can have whatever you want to make for yourself. I have a meat lover, a vegetarian, a husband and myself. Did I mention I HATE cooking? I'm not going to make 3-4 single dinners per night. We do keep things they can easily make for themselves, my husband cooks a lot of the time and I do help some, so I don't feel too bad.

It's great to see that we have nurses in our group! I am not a nurse but keep thinking about going back to school for nursing or physical therapy (assistant). I did take a CNA class a few years ago but never took my state test to get certified. While I was taking the class I was offered my current job as a special ed aide (which I LOVE) and never went to take the test after passing the class with flying colors. Now that I have a daughter who will be starting college in a little over a year, I just don't see how i can go back to school financially.

Sorry for my off topic rambling.

Thanks for sharing Teri!

HI Terri

Sorry i am so late welcoming you to our group. But i am in one of the communities hit by the killer torandos so been way busy. As for going to school to be a nurse. If its your dream dont give up. Check into grants also i gradurated oweing tons of student loans but i dont regret it at all. I had 4 kids when i went back to school so it wasnt easy but well worth it.

Everyone else i am from Corbin Ky but live in the Laurel county section so it was our county that got hit hard friday. I have been sooo busy first with work, we saw over 50 victems that night. Then yesterday i worked all day with animal rescue. I guess anyone who read my things bout me knows i am an animal lover big time.

Also thinks for the biotene hint. I did not know that. i also have super thick hair but i sure dont want to lose any of it. It already falls out like crazy when i shower which my beautician says thats good means i have all this new growth.. lol i am not so sure. I will order mine today or go pick up some this week.

I have so missed touching base with you all this weekend. I am heading off to a class that is suppose to teach me how to keep from getting killed or beaten by an irate patient so off i go... Toodles all us Springers!

I have finally set a date of April 16th for my surgery and now am starting to get cold feet.

Hi Anissa,

I am so happy to be a part of this group, too! I understand how you feel about getting cold feet. I waited so long to get approved, and now that I am, I question whether I am doing the right thing. I think about it often. However, I always come up with the same answer. I am not having surgery to lose weight; I am having surgery to help curb my appetite, which will help me maintain a healthy weight.

I have been working with my doctors since August and have lost 63 lbs. I am happy with the weight loss so far but also frustrated with myself because the last month I have been +/- 3 lbs every time I weigh myself. I

Hi Teri,

Congratulations on your weight loss! You are doing a great job! April will be here before we know it, and those are pounds you hopefully won't ever have to lose again.

But i am in one of the communities hit by the killer torandos so been way busy.

Everyone else i am from Corbin Ky but live in the Laurel county section so it was our county that got hit hard friday. I have been sooo busy first with work, we saw over 50 victems that night. Then yesterday i worked all day with animal rescue. I guess anyone who read my things bout me knows i am an animal lover big time.

Deb,

I'm so sorry your community was hit by one of Friday's tornadoes. I feel bad for all the individuals whose lives have been affected. Watching the news and seeing the devastation reminds us of how quickly our lives can change.

I love animals, too, particularly cats. I don't possess the nursing skills you do, but if I could, I'd be there helping, too.

Deb,

I'm so sorry your community was hit by one of Friday's tornadoes. I feel bad for all the individuals whose lives have been affected. Watching the news and seeing the devastation reminds us of how quickly our lives can change.

I love animals, too, particularly cats. I don't possess the nursing skills you do, but if I could, I'd be there helping, too.

ElizabethAnne here is just one link to a family we took care of friday

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57391081/kentucky-tornado-victims-miracle-survival/?tag=facebook

I to love animals. I have 3 cats who live in my house. A 8 yr old Manx Monticore, an 8 yr old american Bobtail Boo and a 9 month old Rag doll Loki ( who is my baby even likes me to put him on his back and rock him like a baby lol) and outside we have my 4 yr old English Mastif Leo all 185 lbs of him. Its so hard for me not to add more to my animals. I always see one i want .. lol.

ElizabethAnne here is just one link to a family we took care of friday

http://www.cbsnews.c...l/?tag=facebook

I to love animals. I have 3 cats who live in my house. A 8 yr old Manx Monticore, an 8 yr old american Bobtail Boo and a 9 month old Rag doll Loki ( who is my baby even likes me to put him on his back and rock him like a baby lol) and outside we have my 4 yr old English Mastif Leo all 185 lbs of him. Its so hard for me not to add more to my animals. I always see one i want .. lol.

What a great story about the family you cared for! Thank you for sending the link.

I have two cats, and both were rescued. Lucky you on owning a Rag Doll. I volunteered at a cat show a few years ago and saw one for the first time. Ever since then, I have wanted one. Maybe someday. :)

Hello! My name is Amy and my surgery is going to be scheduled for early April. I am a stay-home mom of 3 boys 3, 10 and 13. I can't wait to be able to run and play with them like I want to. I live in a very rural area and am having a hard time finding people who have went through or are going through surgery. It feels good to read everyone's posts and see that some have the same fears I do. I am terrified of not making it through the surgery! However I am also terrified that if I do not have the surgery that I won't be around to see my kids grow up or to enjoy my grandkids someday. Anyway I just thought I'd introduce myself and I hope this group will be helpful and fun!

Amy! Welcome to the group. I'm sure you'll find us most enjoyable and supportive.

Three boys 3 to 13? Wow you have your hands full.

Happy posting,

julz~

Hi everyone,

My name is Kelly and I am from Tacoma WA.

I have insurance that will cover my lapband (at least a large portion) but I have to jump through a lot of hoops first. The main one is 3 months of supervised nutrition/dieting. I have done 2 months so far, lost about 15 pounds, and have my final nutrition appointment on April 6th. Then the surgery center submits my paperwork to the insurance for approval, and since I *hopefully* have done everything they asked, I should be scheduled in either April or early May....so I decided to join the "Springers" even though I don't have my surgery date yet. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to write a huge introduction - believe me, you'll be happy I keep it short cause I can go on and on and on ;) - but if you'd like to read more about me you can find a link to my entire story (ack!!) thru my LBT introduction on my member page.

I have 3 boys - 2 1/2, 4, and 18. I've been overweight since I had my oldest, and obese/morbidly obese for about 10+ years now. I'm ready to start my journey...which I feel like I've already started since having to do the supervised nutrition. I grumble about it, but it was actually very helpful.

Anyone else have to do the supervised diet/nutrition?

It's great to find others in the same time frame as me. Looking forward to visiting and chatting!

~Kelly B)

It's wonderful to see this group up and running in full force. My name is Hasana and I'm scheduled for lap band surgery on 4/5/12. I'm a 39 year old single mother (of a 13 y/o boy) who lives in south jersey. I, like many of you, have gone from overweight to obese to morbidly obese during the course of my entire adult life. It also extends back into my childhood.

I first considered lap band surgery in 2006, but learned of the different insurance obstacles that I had to face. Bottom line, I was not mentally ready to take this journey then. As I am approaching my 40s and have seen many of my family members develop hypertension, diabetes, coronary artery disease, and high cholesterol, all initially diagnosed while they were in their 40s, I've decided IT'S TIME TO MAKE A SERIOUS AND PERMANENT CHANGE. I'm ready now. I'm a physician assistant and see cardiac patients day in and day out. Despite my own obesity struggle, I always including counseling about weight loss/nutrition and it's importance in cardiac health. It has taken this long for reality to fully set in and for me to take charge of my own "risk factors".

I have been on so many diets over these years and always loosing just to gain even more back due to my inability to maintain the lifestyle. I also seem to have a voracious appetite and often eat in excess. I'm am looking forward to this lap band being the tool to help limit my portions and physically assist with hunger control. I'll be working mental aspects of hunger control as well.

I'm so excited to be here gaining practical knowledge and support through others heading down the same road. I look forward to giving that support back in return.

We Can Do This!!!

Welcome to the Group Amy

I took it by your name that you have tattoos.. Least i thought the pretty in ink meant that. I have one as well and i very likly will get one more but not till the weight is off. This is a great group to be part of. :)

Hi PA & Kelly,

Thank you so much for joining our fast growing group. The more support, the more fun we'll have.

Please feel free to open a new topic, or join any of the others we have in here. We have the same goal and but I'm sure each journey will be very different. I think you'll find everyone in here is pretty awesome!

julz~