Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Not Doing Well!

I had a lap band and plication surgery on 1/23/2012. During my pre-op appointment, I was 196lbs and 194 the day of surgery. When I went for my 1wk check-up, I was still 191.5lbs and was completely admonished, as if I should never have wasted the time/money on the surgery. It was horrible! The surgeon suggested it was not possible that I could have lost only 4.5lbs and that I must be consuming tons of sugary drinks. Truthfully, I cheated once with some ice cream, on one day. Other than that I had liquids only and fewer than 30g carbs per day. Due to the plication, it just was not possible that I could really have eaten yet.

It's now day 19, and I'm 189.6lbs. I have had only low carb Protein Shakes (110-160 calories each), some string cheese, egg omelettes w/ cheese, and soft lean meats. Regardless, I feel incredibly hungry, all the time. It's horrible! I don't even want to go for my next appointment on 2/17/12 for the first fill, because I haven't lost any weight! I actually lost way more weight pre-op (Jan 4 - Jan 23 I lost 10lbs). The surgeon told me the other patient who had surgery the same day as me had lost 22lbs and that I should have lost at least 15lbs... by the first appointment?

I completely subscribe to his insistance that low carb is the way to lose, but I'm miserable, and the scale isn't moving. I've written down everything to look for hidden carbs/calories, but I was writing down my intake prior to heading into this adventure, and I am taking in only 20-30% as much as i was before coming up with the hairbrain idea to have WLS and pay for it, etc.

Help? I think I've made a huge mistake...

Do not panic. Sometimes i feel the exact same way (why did i do this) those are my bad days. I have surgery in Nov and I'm only down 24lbs. But I also only have 2 cc's in my band, pretty much no restriction, and living on will power. Like you I lost a lot of weight in the pre-op/right after surgery phase-and that makes sense since i was on a crazy diet/just out of surgery and in too much pain to eat. I will tell you what I tell myself everyday, BE PATIENT. EVERYONE LOSES AT DIFFERENT RATES. i don't know why your doctor would compare you to another patient. YOU HAVE NOT HAD ANY FILLS SO DON'T BE UPSET! you can't have much restriction and so you aren't even able to use the tool you paid for YET, BUT YOU WILL! AND THAT'S THE GOOD NEWS! (telling myself as well) don't despair, you are just starting your journey and there will be ups, downs, smiles, and frowns but u can do it!

Thanks so much! It's the plication aspect (stomach reduced in size by 85%) that is supposedly why I should have lost so much in the first 2 to 3 weeks, but I simply have not. Good for you for not having too much fill... if I had decent will power, I would have chosen band only. Thanks again!

Sometimes I just don't get it with some of these people. Wht did they think we needed surgery in the first place?? If I could have lost significant weight by eating and dieting alone, then they would not have a job!

If I had a doctor that admonished me and compared me to another patient, first thing I would do would be to find another doctor. WE are paying them! Be your own advocate!

First thing that stands to out me is that at 196 pounds, you don't have as much weight to lose as a lot of other people might. It's a proven fact that the more you have to lose the faster you will lose.

Also, it helps to know you're not alone!! And I know for a fact that you aren't, because I'm right there with you! I had surgery on the 31st. I Lost 12 pounds on the pre surgery diet. A week and a half post surgery and I have actually gained one pound. I have not cheated. I am living on will-power because I have absolutely no restriction. I'm hoping the weight loss will just catch up with me eventually because I feel like I'm doing everything right.

I have heard some Dr.s get pretty loud if they think the patient is not following instructions. Eating bad calories and grazing and maybe not exercising more. Mine never yelled at me and at my 1st fill i had lost inches but only 2 lbs- he was happy with that, I was afraid it was not enough. But the nurses have scared me that he would NOT do surgery if I didnt push myself away from my old habits, so it took extra effort, and I made it. 6lbs lost during pre-op and by my scale, down 2 more lbs - thats all. Watch your salt and Water intake and just keep plugging along, it will happen. And tell the DR exactly what you are eating and doing.

Awful that your doctor is berating you, but don't give up! As mentioned, everyone loses differently. Some people struggle more than others. 1.5 years out I have only lost 30 lbs. Every fill I have gone for the nurses were very nice; no one admonished me (thankfully; like you I would probably dread going back if they had!). I have definitely struggled with this band, more than I ever thought I would. But we have it, and we want to make it work. Note, your weight IS going down, and if you are eating as you should, then what else can you do? As mentioned, perhaps it is too much salt? Or maybe you can start upping your exercise. Either way, don't get too discouraged. You can do this!

How much did you expect to lose per week going into this? 4.5 pounds lost in a week sounds good to me. would you have lost the weight youre losing without the lapband? many of us sure wouldnt be. this is a time for healing, most importantly but take every pound lost as a victory because it is. You didnt get fat overnight either, give it some time. Sounds like a discouraging doctor...

i am new to this site, i too have felt a little discouraged because i have on lost 26 pounds since surgery july 28th 2011. Starting 236 now only stuck at 209. i keep hearing that the gastric sleeve is so much better. its even more embarrassing that people know i have lap band and see the slow weightloss i paid cash for. There is a co worker who got gastric sleeve and lost lots of wieght in 4 months. Now im starting to question myself if i should have had the gastric sleeve

Thanks for the truth and a few laughs! How true it is that I didn't get fat overnight! One benefit to being a slow loser, no one really suspects I had weight loss surgery! Good points as well regarding my salt intake, and I could pick up the pace with my walking! I have to keep my cool with the doc regarding his demeaning attitude, as I could get totally lose my temper, which is even bigger than my muffin top! It's very good to know there are folks having different kinds of struggles, but in a better mood today, I hope to keep reading here and finding people having success over time. I'm going to start thinking in terms of percent of my extra weight lost, instead of numbers of pounds or total body percent. Scientific studies always present the data in terms of EWL... if I need to lose 70lbs, 7lbs is 10% of it, and darn good!

It's great to see your new message. I think the numbers that you have shared are great, especially for a few weeks out. I am just now considering WLS, specifically banding with plication. I can only imagine that there will be lots of ups and downs emotionally. And...without WLS an emotional down leads to lots of eating and calorie intake, and for me regaining everything I just lost and then some. It sounds like you have worked through the an emotional down. Congrats! Please keep us posted.

I think you're doing great, it's a process. If this were easy, we wouldn't need WLS! Also, you are probably on the lower BMI side, and might lose more slowly than someone who started out at a much higher weight. Don't worry about the doctor, you know you aren't cheating.

I think the hardest part for me is knowing how much less I eat now. seems like I should be losing more, more quickly! I never exercised, hardly walked before. Now I exercise 5 days a week.

I read of others who have lost so much more weight. I want that, I am impatient. I have more than 100 to lose....

I don't mean to say I am going to give up, I lose weight every week and that is great. Seems like I think about food & what I will eat so many hours everyday.

I try to distract by keeping busy, it works sometimes.

I have told my nutritionist & massage therapist I will try to be more patient for at least the 1st year.

Oh my!!!

@ readytogoforit - I too seem to obsess about not getting enough return on my investment, when it seems I am being soooo good compared to my previous eating habits! Your progress looks great though - more than halfway there!!!

u4leigh, I was a slow loser in the beginning and look where I am at now. Everyone is different with their weightloss. I know how it is though, I am very impatient! First to admit it, but amazed really how fast my first year went. No regrets!