Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Wk Post Op And I've Already Cheated Several Times.....

When you put solid/mushy foods into the pouch it causes the pouch to grind. liquids do not cause this grinding. Doctors have us on liquids because they do not want that grinding to occur and pull the stitches they've used to anchor the band into place.

Each doctor has his/her own opinion as to how long to let those stitches heal before allowing the stomach to grind. I was told I'd be in big trouble if I needed a re-operation because I pulled my stitches due to eating. (What the definition of trouble was, I don't know, but I did not want to find out). I was three days post-op when I was so hungry I wanted to eat my dog. My surgeon called to check on my that evening. I told him my dog was lucky he could move faster than I, otherwise I might have broken my post-op 7 day clear liquid diet. He said that since I was doing so well and was so hungry, I could move on to a full liquid diet.

I felt the same way when I first got my band, "Why did i do this" type feeling. I was on liquids for 3 days, mushies for 3 days then mildly solid foods by beginning of week 2 and was just fine. I was so tired of eating jello/liquid crap that i had my husband puree a corn dog for me! IT WAS THE BEST CORN DOG I EVER HAD. lolol it will be alright :)

I learn so much here! Never thought about the different doctors having different "waiting periods" because of different surgical techniques (guess I assumed they were all the same even though I do know there are different sizes/types of bands). Also my band was "primed" with 2.5 cc during surgery. After 4 fills and 2 defills I am now at 5cc (had the last fill last week). I've never been told most people have a certain amount; I know a lot who have different levels. I think you have to listen to your body & what you are feeling when you eat; that will tell you if your band is full enough/too full. Oh, and I just re-found some of my surgery stuff; it took 19 days from surgery for me to get to solids. Couldn't remember, it didn't seem that long (or I've just blocked it all out!).

I have to agree with elcee. Those first few weeks, they're freakin' tough. But they're just the tiniest fraction of time in your entire life.

So you cheated. It's done. Now stop. Because if, like me, you're suddenly looking at the possibility of a complication, you would want to be able to look yourself in the mirror and say truthfully that you didn't contribute to it.

Will power is hard. It's hard for me right now. I have no restriction and am trying to eat well and exercise. My tummy is growling too. So I know it's hard. But it's not IMPOSSIBLE.

And I understand being sick of it. Change to your life can be diffcult enough without battling hunger and unhappiness and discontent. But don't lose sight of the prize. Don't forget what you did this for.

And yes, to the newbies who say 'I cheated and it's fine', please don't make your irresponsibility someone else's too. Elcee's right, you can't change the past, that's how ALL of us got heavy. But change your future.

And for god's sake, don't be enablers.

We all do things we aren't proud of. No judgment from me!

I found it terribly hard to behave for my first 4 weeks. I cried for about 2 days straight shortly after my surgery because I couldn't eat. I am an emotional eater, so when I had an issue at work, I wanted to dive into the food. I obviously couldn't at that point (only 4 days post-op). I tried to go back to some of the things that I was working on before surgery: going for a walk, knitting, reading a book that isn't a textbook (I am in academia, so this is a real treat for me!), etc. It was SO HARD, but I survived it. You can too! I am 5 weeks post-op right now and have found a peace with the band. I still have "head hunger" on a regular basis, but I am working with a therapist who specialized in bariatric patients to redirect that impulse.

I did a little cheating during my 2 weeks of liquids and 2 weeks of mushies. I didn't have a fill at the time of surgery, either. What I did to resist most of the times I wanted to cheat was to close my eyes and think of the real reason I did this: to see my kids grow up, to feel good about myself, to fit in the seat of an airplane comfortably, etc. Then I open my eyes, look at myself in the mirror and tell myself I am worth all that. If I am hungry, I have a Protein shake and go for a walk, play with my kids, really anything to get my mind off of my stomach.

Just a thought, could some of that "grumbling" be gas releasing from the surgery? I know it made my stomach roll for the first few weeks and I had a hard time distinguishing the gas release from stomach hunger pains.

Chin up! The long-term results will outweigh the short-term pain.

Those first couple weeks (or month in my case) absolutely suck, no doubt about. I never thought I'd be so thrilled with mashed potatoes as I was after 4 weeks of liquids! But I stuck to it and did what my doctor said- and I'm so glad I did.

What bothers me about the OP is the "whatever, I'm over it" attitude. No one is trying to pass judgement, but you need to realize by cheating this soon pre-op you're risking serious damage to your stomach. It sucks, we get it, but you really need to look at this phase as your healing period not a diet period. You need to give your stomach time to heal or you're going to find yourself back in the operating room for torn stitches.

I also totally agree with Elcee. I don't think she was being harsh at all, she was being honest and not coddling the OP. Coddling won't help any of us- the facts and the truth will.

I'm only 1 week post op and have already cheated and had solid food. My hunger pains started on Sunday and I just couldn't take it. I just chewed the food up really really good and swallowed it down with Water. Whatever. I'm so over this, at this point I am regreting having this surgery. I am so pissy and emotional its pathetic. I thought I was stronger than this, but I am not!!! I have my post op appointment on Thursday, hoping I didn't screw anything up. Anyways, rant over.

sounds like me , I regretted, cried couldnt eat, but I had wonderful support around to help me get through that time. Most of us go through that emotional time, and you have to remember what's happening. you are asking your body to change the way it eats, what it eats, and its rebelling (thats how I see it) but you have to be strong and keep at it. Soon it will retrained and it will be so much easier to reach for a Protein shake than food (at this early stage) an extra bite here and there is ok, and I tell my lp dr. and its ok he says because I am still loosing weight.

I wish you the best of luck! and remember you can vent all you want on this forum.

Wow people are so rude on here. This is a support thing I thought. Hell I feel the same way you do girl I a freaking hungry as hell! It is not a mental thing I am hungry! Have I ate solid food.... yes I did but they were healthy and I feel fine. I am not going crazy though. I was banded on 3/2/12 so if you want a friend that is going trough the same thing let me know and I will give you my number and we can text or something. I am going to the doctor Thursday and I am going to tell him I am HUNGRY LOL

Your stomach really does need time to heal after surgery. People aren't telling you not to eat to be mean. You have stitches in your stomach and when you put solid foods in it your stomach muscles have to contract to digest it. They don't have to do that with liquids or mushies. I don't think people are being mean. There's a reason you're not supposed to eat at first. Besides, it's only temporary. Increase your fluids or eat an approved food like yogurt. Is it the same as steak? No. But it's not supposed to be.

My first weeks were really hard because I really regretted having the surgery. Everyone told me I will feel this way then it will go away. So I let myself freak out a little but it goes away. You have good days where you feel positive and motivated an you have bad days. But don't let

Your regret stop you from fully using your bands help. Get it tightened, it makes a difference I promise. Don't write it off as a bad decision yet, follow through and then see :)

As for cheating, I am about to get shot here by the uber bandsters but here goes, go for something that is bad for ur diet but doesnt comromise your health. Like a milk shake. It's filling, sweet, bad and evil. But it is still liquid :P

It'll satisfy your craving and leave you feeling guilty enough to carry through with ur liquid diet for a few more days but won't hurt ur stomach... Willpower will come slowly. I mean the whole reason we did this band is because our willpowers needed a bit of a nudge anyway, right? If we were that great at restraining ourselves why did we get banded to begin with?

It's a marathon not a sprint.

I was so hungry I wanted to dive off a bridge so when my fiancé wanted to go to starbucks before our walk at the beach, I saw they have smoothies with a banana and whey Protein. They are 400 calories which isn't so terrible as a shake but felt soooo good and I couldn't finish it (it is 12 oz). They have mango and strawberry. Yummmmy idk is that terrible? I am on my 2nd week post op

One thing I caution is watching calories. Just because it's in a liquid form and it says it's nutritious doesn't mean it's not full of fat and calories. You can even gain weight on a liquid diet.< /p>

That's very true. I had the smoothie instead of Breakfast and only drank half so it was really only 200 calories which I hope isn't bad for a meal. Still learning and am not too sure

There are shakes at Jack-In-The-Box and Dairy Queen (A southern fast food place.) that top out at 1800 calories. Also, in the health food stores where you can get "healthy" shakes with whey and Protein One store offered a Peanut Butter shake for a mere 3000 calories. Disguising things under the sign of "healthy" doesn't always mean it's so. Not lecturing anyone in particular. Just issuing a little info.

Wow people are so rude on here. This is a support thing I thought. Hell I feel the same way you do girl I a freaking hungry as hell! It is not a mental thing I am hungry! Have I ate solid food.... yes I did but they were healthy and I feel fine. I am not going crazy though. I was banded on 3/2/12 so if you want a friend that is going trough the same thing let me know and I will give you my number and we can text or something. I am going to the doctor Thursday and I am going to tell him I am HUNGRY LOL

People really aren't rude on this site or thread. They just give there opinions on what they know ! If you want to go against the Dr.'s Orders, then you tell him/her about it, and see what they say. But with surgery, you need time to heal, and your stomach is RAW, and has been put threw allot. "I UNDERSTAND YOUR HUNGRY" I even had something, because I felt like I was starving. Then it was back to the Basics for me. And I did take it up with my surgeon, who gave me a adjustment.

But you have to learn control too. It will be up to you and your control to work this band, until you feel restriction.. That could be a while.

Shirley.