Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Co-Worker Wants To Have Lap Band

I have a co-workers that has asked about lap band and is trying to go through the insurance process. Our insurance requires 6 months doc supervised dieting, psych eval, dietician, etc. Though I've tried to be supportive she is making it really hard. She is not even trying to do the diet portion, or exercise. She makes McDonalds runs for burgers at least twice a week. We had a Breakfast meeting at Cracker Barrell and she ordered 5 biscuits with gravy. She complains that she loves bread and has a hard time cutting back on her "diet". (According to her, she's three months in and has only lost 4 lbs) She told me she hates to exercise because she finds it boring. She wants to have surgery because she thinks once she's had it, then she won't have to exercise or do anything else.

I've gone over the restrictive diet with her, little to no bread (there goes her biscuits and rolls), lean meats, 3-5 hours of exercise a week, etc. She still has it in her mind that she won't have to do any of that because she will feel full after a few bites.

I've tried to convey the mental AND physical lifestyle change to her, but she's not buying it. It's not a product to purchase, its a fact of life if you have the surgery and want to be successful.

She keeps coming to me for advice and asked what I did for the pre-op yet she doesn't want to take my "been there done that" advice. Now she is mad me for telling her that I will no longer support her endeavor if she feels that this is really not a lifestyle change, but a "miracle" cure for excess body weight.

I kept a binder of everything I was given and notes that I took during my process. I let her photocopy it, but she says it was too much to read. She's obviously not ready to have this surgery.

ARGH. Sorry just had to vent!

She sounds like she will be in for a rude awakening! I too loved my bread, thought that was going to be the hardest to go without. But I really don't miss it, and I am actually one person with the band that can tolerate bread pretty well too! For the most part, I follow the rules and stick to my Protein, veggies and only 1/4 cup starch. This band is a tool, it wont do all the work for her.

Wow...she's in for a very rude awakening.

I mean, let's face it, we see people with her mentality on these boards once in awhile, too. No matter how many times they're told it's not a magic bullet, it's a tool and you have to work to change your lifestyle, they don't listen. Then they wonder why they don't lose any weight and bash the band as if it's fault- despite the fact they were still eating McDonalds cheeseburgers and donuts.

I actually commend you for backing away from her and telling her why. At least you can go on with a clear conscious knowing you did all you could to support her and in the end were honest, despite her not liking the truth.

A friend of mine is getting banded a few weeks after mine. We got together to talk about it, but I'm worried that he isn't going to be able to make those changes as well. He likes to drink a lot, which is where a lot of his weight comes from. He said that he lied to the doctor about his alcohol consumption, and he doesn't plan to tell him about it.

Wow, yeah it sounds like she is just looking for a quick fix but doesn't want to put in any real work. I would hate to see her go through all of this and then fail and blame the band or hurt herself physically because she can't adjust to the new lifestyle. I agree though, you did the right thing. You have been there for her and I'm sure would be there for her again if she were to have an eye opening experience and change her attitude but you can not let her bring you down which is what I am afraid may happen if you kept trying to help her. Best of luck.

I am not banded, I am actually awaiting authorization from BCBS. But I see that there is a restriction on bread? ??

Like what do you mean? If I eat bread in large quantities that I will vomit? Or that if I eat any bread at all that I will vomit? Or if I eat bread and dont chew it to the consistency of mush that I will throw up?

I just want to be mentally prepared 001_huh.gif

I was told to basically avoid all breads. The dietician said that bread can easily get stuck. LapBand's website had great ideas for substitutes. Like low carb flour tortillas.

I am not banded, I am actually awaiting authorization from BCBS. But I see that there is a restriction on bread? ??

Like what do you mean? If I eat bread in large quantities that I will vomit? Or that if I eat any bread at all that I will vomit? Or if I eat bread and dont chew it to the consistency of mush that I will throw up?

I just want to be mentally prepared 001_huh.gif

A lot of bandsters have trouble with bread. It's doughy so it clumps up and gets stuck (imagine hair in a drain) and when food gets stuck it either comes up or goes down and most of the time it comes up. Your surgeon may tell you that it is against the "plan" to have it or he may not. You should ask or read in the materials he gives you. I had an extremely liberal surgeon that wasn't restrictive on anything. You may find that you tolerate bread well (I do) or that you may need to have your bread toasted or can only consume it in small quantities. Your surgeon should give you a list of "problem" foods. These usually cause bandsters problems, then you will know what to expect. I think pineapple, shrimp, rice, bread, steak, etc. are a couple just to name a few. BTW I can eat all of them. LOL!

SHRIMP is on the list of problem foods??????? Oh goodness. I love shrimp!

Well I can deal with toasted breads. Im a huge fan of a half grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of Tomato Soup.

Which brings me to another question. Since we're not supposed to drink with our meals, or too soon after our meals .... does that mean we cant have Soup with or after our meals either?????

SHRIMP is on the list of problem foods??????? Oh goodness. I love shrimp!

Well I can deal with toasted breads. Im a huge fan of a half grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of Tomato Soup.

Which brings me to another question. Since we're not supposed to drink with our meals, or too soon after our meals .... does that mean we cant have Soup with or after our meals either?????

I believe that if the soup is your meal, you are fine. It's just combining liquid WITH your meal, you either won't be able to eat as much, or you will be able to eat more because the liquid has mushed it enough to slip through your band. I've heard both. Just make sure that if the soup is your meal, to stick to the correct portion size.

I have yet to find something my band won't tolerate. I think you will have to test certain foods, see how you will react to them because everyone is different. You might just not want to do the testing in public. smile.png Just make wise choices. I stay away from bread and Pasta as much as possible because of the carbs.

it's not her time for a band, not yet. hopefully the shrink would see this. you have to believe in yourself, this not a miracle procedure! it's hard work that we do along with the band.

I have a co-workers that has asked about lap band and is trying to go through the insurance process. Our insurance requires 6 months doc supervised dieting, psych eval, dietician, etc. Though I've tried to be supportive she is making it really hard. She is not even trying to do the diet portion, or exercise. She makes McDonalds runs for burgers at least twice a week. We had a Breakfast meeting at Cracker Barrell and she ordered 5 biscuits with gravy. She complains that she loves bread and has a hard time cutting back on her "diet". (According to her, she's three months in and has only lost 4 lbs) She told me she hates to exercise because she finds it boring. She wants to have surgery because she thinks once she's had it, then she won't have to exercise or do anything else.

I've gone over the restrictive diet with her, little to no bread (there goes her biscuits and rolls), lean meats, 3-5 hours of exercise a week, etc. She still has it in her mind that she won't have to do any of that because she will feel full after a few bites.

I've tried to convey the mental AND physical lifestyle change to her, but she's not buying it. It's not a product to purchase, its a fact of life if you have the surgery and want to be successful.

She keeps coming to me for advice and asked what I did for the pre-op yet she doesn't want to take my "been there done that" advice. Now she is mad me for telling her that I will no longer support her endeavor if she feels that this is really not a lifestyle change, but a "miracle" cure for excess body weight.

I kept a binder of everything I was given and notes that I took during my process. I let her photocopy it, but she says it was too much to read. She's obviously not ready to have this surgery.

ARGH. Sorry just had to vent!

I say... good for you for stepping away from this situation. Is she going to the same dr. you used? Is she using you as a referral? If so, i would have to go a step further and have a conversation with him/her about your concerns about her and how you don't want what she does to reflect badly on you.

Sunshyne..... everybody and everyone's doctor is different. What i can or can't eat won't be the same for you.

But they have guidelines you should try to fellow. For example: I can't eat bread, biscuits, pizza, rice, girts, steak, anything Protein that has been "overcooked" I don't do well with leftover Protein either. Lett us gives me trouble, but not mixed green... crazy, but true. Last night i tried to eat a shrimp boulette....got stuck till 1:30 this morning.

I do well with: wendy's chili, loose ground beef (not extra lean), seafood and shrimp if i chew well, Soups, Pasta but not spaghetti... soft fruits..strawberries, grapes, blueberries.... etc. not not pineapples, apples, bannanas unless they are smashed, the inside of oranges not the husk have to spit it out.

Veggies are great except celery that is not cooked.

Remember, i'm two years out and all this is trial and error.... for the first few months i could eat just about anything..... But as the band get tighter, then you will find what work and what does not work for you. Also, the first few months i find are the hardest. No restriction and you will have to "self monitor" meaning even thou you can eat, you will have to back away on your own.....

Good luck with your band and i hope you all the success in the world