Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Michigan people at??

Hey Jenn..

Congrats on the surgery and welcome to bandland!! The puffiness in your hands is normal. I could barely move my rings, but withing a day or two it was back to normal. It's all the Fluid they pump into you. You'll lose a lot at first, but it's mainly from the surgery. Then the real journey begins. I weigh in tomorrow for the first time this week. I'm anxious to see what it says. But even if it isn't good news, I know my clothes are looser and that's kewl with me!! And my rings are already spinning on my fingers..

Well, i think that I officially have hunger pains. I am trying to fill up on my yogurt. I think that I will try Jello next.

My first meal will be meatloaf and mashed potatoes one month post op. I am so looking forward to it.

Teachlady, I tried your suggestion of ff cool whip with the jello, YUMMM.

I keep telling myself that i am healing and that this too will pass. so....

Off to a thinner me:)

Well, i think that I officially have hunger pains. I am trying to fill up on my yogurt. I think that I will try Jello next.

My first meal will be meatloaf and mashed potatoes one month post op. I am so looking forward to it.

Teachlady, I tried your suggestion of ff cool whip with the Jello, YUMMM.

I keep telling myself that i am healing and that this too will pass. so....

Off to a thinner me:)

I'm still doing ok with my Soup, pudding and yogurt. One more week and I'll get to add soft foods. I'll start with an egg and mashed sweet potatoes.. not together of course!! Then I think it will be fish, fish, fish for awhile.

Hello everyone in MI! Haven't been by to check in lately, so I figured I'd see how you all are doing. Things are finally going well here, I'll have my 2nd-3rd fill tomorrow. My son has a stomach bug right now and that makes me VERY nervous, but hopefully he keeps it to himself this time. Well, take care!

Hello,

Is anyone from the Lansing Michigan area? I am currently attending Sparrow Weight Management Center and had my psych eval today. I will have to go on a 4 week pre-op Optifast diet so I will have surgery this summer. This site has been very helpful to me.

Hello,

Is anyone from the Lansing Michigan area? I am currently attending Sparrow Weight Management Center and had my psych eval today. I will have to go on a 4 week pre-op Optifast diet so I will have surgery this summer. This site has been very helpful to me.

4 Weeks of Optifast? ? Wow.. that sounds really excessive!! I'm not in the Lansing area.. I live in the frozen Northland.. Alpena. I went to Port Huron for my banding. No pre op diet except to lose a few pounds to shrink the liver. No Protein shakes.. ever!! I had no problems with the surgery and will get my first fill on the 5th of June. I'm loving my band!!! And DH is having the surgery in 4 days!

what part of Alpena do you live? My dad lives just south in a small village.. Lincoln. Ever heard of it? He retired up there about 18 years ago and just loves it.

4 Weeks of Optifast?? Wow.. that sounds really excessive!! I'm not in the Lansing area.. I live in the frozen Northland.. Alpena. I went to Port Huron for my banding. No pre op diet except to lose a few pounds to shrink the liver. No Protein shakes.. ever!! I had no problems with the surgery and will get my first fill on the 5th of June. I'm loving my band!!! And DH is having the surgery in 4 days!

Wow!!! My doc will have me on liquids to shrink my liver for 2 whole weeks, then liquids again for 2 wks after the surgery. But I'm STILL waiting for final confirmation of my date. It's tentatively June 8th and I'm getting anxious for confirmation. I'll be WAY north of you this coming weekend. Going to our cabin in the UP near Munising for the Holiday wknd. Glad to hear that DH has been approved!!! julia

Good Afternoon northern michigan bandsters!

I think i'm the only active poster from the Traverse City area on this site. Heard from a few girls that had their surgery at Grand Traverse Surgery back in January, but nothing since.

Alpena to Port Huron for fills...wow, I think i'm one of the lucky ones , I only have to travel 40 minutes.

juliaois......not sure where your coming from to head north to Munising, but if you come up 131 throught Kalkaska, be prepared for construction detours..the one around Kalkaska takes you 6 miles out of your way and then back on 131 north.

LOVE Munising, we usually vacation around there once a summer, toured some of the waterfalls last summer.

Have fun in the U.P. good luck on your surgery

what part of Alpena do you live? My dad lives just south in a small village.. Lincoln. Ever heard of it? He retired up there about 18 years ago and just loves it.

I live in Alpena Township.. and yup.. I've heard of Lincoln. This area is really nice to retire too. Not all the hustle and bustle of Traverse, but still with Water nearby and great skiing in the winter.

Good Afternoon northern michigan bandsters!

I think i'm the only active poster from the Traverse City area on this site. Heard from a few girls that had their surgery at Grand Traverse Surgery back in January, but nothing since.

Alpena to Port Huron for fills...wow, I think i'm one of the lucky ones , I only have to travel 40 minutes.

juliaois......not sure where your coming from to head north to Munising, but if you come up 131 throught Kalkaska, be prepared for construction detours..the one around Kalkaska takes you 6 miles out of your way and then back on 131 north.

LOVE Munising, we usually vacation around there once a summer, toured some of the waterfalls last summer.

Have fun in the U.P. good luck on your surgery

Mary... Port Huron is 4 hours away, but we're both retired so it's not a problem for us. I checked out Traverse City originally, but I really liked all I heard about Port Huron and the fact that the docs have been doing this surgery since 2002. They have over 1,000 surgeries under their belts. And I loved the pre and post op program.

Hello,

Hey Lapitup! :welcomeB: ! I also had to do the Opti-fast diet for four weeks. I called it my "Liquid Boot Camp":usa2: . If you've not purchased it yet, may I suggest all liquids i.e... drinks & Soup, I couldn't stand the bars. They were just too :( vile for me. It's hard for the first 3-4 days, but as long as you do not cheat it gets really easy after that 'cause you body goes into Ketosis (?spelling?) which is basically Protein shock where your body sends out chemicals that says you are not hungry even though you are. I found it all quite fascinating. Well good luck with your liquids :spit: and your surgery. If you need someone to commiserate with, I'm here!:hug:

Lapitup.... I'm in Lansing (actually Perry) but I had my band done in Port Huron. a few people I know tried to do it through sparrow and couldn't hack the Optifast diet. I tried optifast diet through sparrow 2 years ago and it was SUPER hard!!! Finding the lapband was the best thing I ever did! Good luck!!!

I've heard nothing but good things about the program at Port Huron, my Dr. studied the LB procedure under one of the surgeons there. I guess 4 hrs isn't that bad when you're retired.

I have to worry about getting the kids to school, picking then up, off to daycare, getting the time off work etc... I'm happy with Grand Traverse Surgery. I was a little concerned at first, they have been preforming RNY for around 9 years but only started the LB last September. Every time I have an appointment I ask if there have been any other patients with concerns or problems, so far so good.

I feel like i'm stuck in a rut. I've been at the same weight for around 3 weeks. The scale has only moved 2 lbs since my fill.

I just need to make more time to exercise, walking on the treadmill or outside 4+ times a week averaging 7-8 miles a week just isn't getting the scale to move.

I'd love to join a "spinning" class, they look so fun on T.V.!

but too far to drive for that. The local fitness center opens at 6am, too late for any kind of genuine workout, and Curves closes during lunch every day from 12 noon to 1:30 pm!

What is a working mom of two supposed to do?

I better think of something 'cause this scale needs to move on down!

Good Morning, Mary. We just got back from Port Huron last night. DH got banded Tuesday and he's doing really well. We leave for Canada in a couple of hours and will be gone 5 days. Thank goodness we are going with another couple and DH doesn't have to do any driving.

I understand about not having time to do what you need to do with all the demands on your time. That's what is great about being retired! There are still demands on my time, but I'm able to say I need to do this for myself and screw the rest!! lol

Have a great day!