Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously Considering Lap Band Surgery

I am a 25 year old Australian female who is 163cm tall/5.4 feet and I currently weigh 157 kilos/ 347 pounds.

My quality of life is drastically declining and I am seriously considering this surgery.

I, like most people, have a lot of fear about this surgery and the drastic changes to my life style and diet after it. But I am even more terrified of what will happen to me I do not go through with this.

Does Anyone out there regret this surgery or have any words of advice or encouragement in going ahead with this.

Hello and welcome!!

There are people who are not happy with their bands. But their are many of us like me who love ours. There are up sides and down sides. The best you can do is research all the WLS options available to you, talk them over with your surgeon, see which one he or she thinks is best for you, and make your most informed decision.

Ask questions, read, then ask more questions.

all i can say is do your research and talk with people who have had it. attend the dr.s monthly meetups and local support groups if you have them. i did all the above and so was very comfortable when i made my decision to have the lapband. i had it done dec 13th, it was very easy and recovery has been pretty smooth because i knew what to expect because of all the research i did BEFORE surgery.i think the more you know the less worried you are before, and after. a calm mind =less stress=easier recovery. just my opinion. im down 12 lbs, feel great 1 wish id known about this years ago, already down 1 pant size ! woo-hoo !!

So i have my first meeting/consultation with my surgeon in 2 weeks to do all preliminary tests and to see if i am eligible for the surgery.

Does anyone know of any reasons you would be rejected?. The only pre-existing illness' i have are Asthma and sleep apnea.

Also what would be some recommended questions to ask, i always get a mind blank when put on the spot.

Im not sure what the qualifying factors are in Oz as i am in the uk, so cant really help there but the questions i would and did ask were..

1. What sort of pre-op and post op diet do i have to follow.

2. How long will the surgery take, how long is my stay in hospital.

3. What is the support available, ie support groups, or access to a weight loss nurse etc.

4. How long does the support and fill appointments last.. mine is 2 yrs.

5. Am i a good candidate for this form of weight loss surgery.

6. What is their success and failure rates.

7. I was asthmatic since a child so i asked about not being layed flat till i was out cold on the operating table :)

8. What could go wrong.

Might be an idea to read a lot of the posts here and maybe get some other ideas on questions to ask.

I hope everything goes ok for you and i wish you luck !

I just started my weight loss journey in October and hope to be banded anytime between May and July of this year. I'm nervous about the surgery but I'm also extremely excited. Did your doctor have you start any type of pre-surgery diet? Due to my insurance I have to do 6 months with a nutritionist and so far I've lost 10 pounds. I've done the blood work and I've schedule my physical appointment. Where I'm going for my lap band surgery, I have to do quite a few steps before I can even see the surgeon. I know they say that if your blood work doesn't look right that you have to hold of surgery until your blood work clears. It may be different where you live. good luck :)

Pink Dahlia said it best. Research and lots of time on this forum. I was banded 12/29 and I have found a treasure trove of info. Good Luck

Hi Miekah,

My advice to you is to realize what you want from the inside out. You said in your post that you fear the drastic lifestyle changes.. But you also said that the quality of your "current" life is drastically declining. So the way I see it is, a drastic lifestyle change to your downward spiral would be one that breaks the cycle and lifts you out to positive opportunities. I hope that thought, as well as the researching youve been advised to do, helps you make a decision that you are happy with!

Tell us how it is affecting your "quality of life," and what you have tried to do to change. As with all surgery, it has its benefits and its risks.

Have you tried a personal trainer. Doubled with a dietician (most personal trainers can give you "diet" tips too), this is actually a more surefire way to lose weight.

P.S. I hate the word diet as it actually has connotations of starvation and hunger. When I say diet, i mean literally no processed foods (chips, cakes, museli bars, baked goods, fish fingers, chicken strips, anything that has been on a production line bar dairy products), and eating foods that are quickly/lightly cooked and with low salt and fat (inc. butter, oil, etc.) and whole grains instead of processed. This means brown instead of white rice, wholemeal in place of ordinary. However, you should never be "hungry." On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is starving, and 10 is as full as you can imagine, 5 being satisfied, you would be aiming for 4.5 to 5.5.

Good luck, and in the words of my favourite athlete "Never give up"

As you do your research and find questions write them down. Don't be afraid to bring a list with you to the seminar (if they do that in Aus) or to your consult.

Make it as concise and organized as possible, but that way you'll not forget what you wanted to know.

I'd want to know if the doctor feels lap band is best for me. Why or why not. How long should I expect for a recovery? What tests do I need to do before surgery? How long do you think all testing and procedures will take before I can have surgery? Do I need to do an extended pre-op diet? What will my post-op diet be?

Thank you all so much for your help!!

My quality of life is diminishing because i can no longer walk without constant feet and ankle pain or for more then 1 to 200 metres... every morning depending on how i sleep i have back hip or rib pain because of the weight... i am also not able to do ALOT of things because of my size and am barley fitting into the "big girls" specialty store clothes!!

I have been big all my life and have Tried all fad diets different gym and personal trainers over the years have been on weight loss prescription medication and catered and replacement meal plans that i never deviate from and i still only lose about 7 to 10 kilos 15.4 to 22lbs... and my BMI is above 50!!!

Welcome! First thing is you could not have found a better site to read from, and do your research on, so you can see the difference in all the Bandsters.

I know what you mean about being to heavy. I was 356 at my heaviest. I shot my knees, "they were replaced" breathing was very difficult lieing in bed, and getting out of bed was another story by itself. Walking to the bathroom was a pain in the @$$.

So I have a Idea what your talking about.

I had the surgery, and no regrets at all.

Yes it's mechanical so it can break down at times, and you need your surgeon to fix it up. But mainley it is managed by your surgeon for Resistance. As long as you are comfortable with your band, and losing weight ! You are doing just fine.

Hope this helps, and talk to you again, Shirley.

Welcome! I agree with everyone else. Research as much as you can not only about the surgery but also the surgeon you want to the the surgery. What kind of aftercare does he/she have. What about a support group?

I am 2½ years post op and right now I am at such a good place, where I do not even know I have a band unless I do not chew good and get stuck which is not very often anymore. I am hardly ever hungry and I get full on a small amount of healthy food. I still eat some junk but I am having no trouble maintaining my 84 lbs loss. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. But it is not for everyone, so really research it good, and the doctor.

Cheri

But I am even more terrified of what will happen to me I do not go through with this.

I am 5'9 and weighed 377 lbs when I had my surgery 13 months ago. I have lost 157 lbs and have 50 ish to go. My BMI was 54 when I started this journey. Today it is 32.

I needed a lifelong solution after years of yo yo dieting so I turned to the band. And let me tell you it has been the best decision I have ever made. Just remember... the band will do 70% of the work. You must do the rest of it by eating properly and following your dr's directions... if you do that you should lose the weight and be able to keep it off.. Good luck to you!