Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Surgery Bandsters Group

Hi all! Glad folks are checking in! I've kept up with reading the posts, but haven't been good at writing. I've just kind of been doing my thing.

So, my weight update - I'm down a total of 111 pounds to 140.5 and am 4 away from the doc's goal and 14 away from my personal goal. I hit about a 3 month plateau at 100 pounds lost and just couldn't make the scale move. I went for a check-up in May and the doctor wouldn't do a fill because he still felt I was in the green zone (limited consumption from a volume standpoint but no problems with vomiting and only the occasional stuck episode if I ate too fast.) I agreed and he gave me a month's supply of Suprenza which is a dissolvable phentermine pill. I didn't have any problems and got right back on track! I would have taken them for a second month, but was getting ready for hip replacement surgery.

Which brings me to my second update...I had a hip replacement on July 1 and am headed back to work on Monday! SueBee, how did they do yours? I was extremely lucky to have an orthopedic doctor who does the anterior approach which means they don't detach any muscles or ligaments, just kind of scoot them aside. This usually drastically reduces your recovery time! Thank the Lord, it was a breeze! I was off the walker by Saturday after the surgery and I pretty much don't need the cane now. If I do a lot of walking I start to get tired and fall into a limp so I keep the cane handy just in case. I gained 10 pounds in swelling (yikes!) but got rid of that after the first week and am back on track with a 1 - 1.5 per week loss. I had some follow-up (bariatric doc) bloodwork today and go back again in August. I may do one more month of the Suprenza for the final push to the goal line.

And now I have to start exercising! No more hip pain excuses!

Keep pushing gang! We're getting there!

That's amazing. All I know is my doctor put in a hip that is good for athlete's and should last up to 50 years! I was non weight bearing for the first 6 weeks. I started work after the first week, but from home. I am on day two with a cane now and it is going well. Mine is an ingrowth prosthetic so it needed six weeks for the bone to growth into the steel rod and I have a ceramic lining and ball. My dr is very cautious! I am home six more weeks with physical therapy 2-3 times a day and hope to be back golfing and tennis by the first of October. I actually only have a scar that is like 3 inches long right under my cheek. I told him I wasn't worried about it because I will be having plastic surgery one of these days!

Best wishes to you too!

SueBee...so happy for you! One day at a time. NJ2NC...good to see you again. That is a difficult thing to accept...but sometimes you gotta Nicole it...I mean...JustDoIt. LOL. okay...so...Friday will be 18 months since my surgery. I initially lost 112 pounds in less than a year. Then I had to have my band loosened and gained a few pounds back. Not a lot, but enough to bug me. My band is green-zone, but I know I'm not exercising enough. Those first 10 or 11 months, I was at the gym just about every day. I'm posting this, in hopes that it will make me more accountable for my actions...but also because I need some encouragement from the rest of you Bandsters. I hope you all are doing well! Remember...a loss is LOSS! We didn't gain the weight overnight (though sometimes I think I do) and we're not going to get rid of it all overnight. I'm so proud of each and every one of you...for every step you take toward a healthier you! God bless!

Hey everyone- I haven't been on a scale in ages, I know I've gained back with slider foods and I'm just so disappointed in myself. But honestly I just have to get over it and get moving- literally, and back down the scale. I'm going to do the 5 day pouch test in a week or so, and go cold turkey with the ice cream- none for at least 6 months starting 8/1/13. And I'm going to go back on MFP and just get cracking. I'm giving myself a week to psych myself up and I'll get there!!!

Amica- I may ask my doc about that Suprenza just as a kick start, too. Glad your surgery went so well!! I'm sure that being a much lower weight was so helpful with the surgery and recovery- and for your long term prospects post surgery.

I need to schedule a doc appt too- I'm pretty sure I'm in the green zone, but really dont' feel full- but I know 90% is head hunger- heck, probably 95%, honestly. I need to find something better to do with my time than eat ice cream...........

I also wanted to say that I'm glad you guys are here for the long haul- this is harder than I thought it would be....

Nicki

Hi Everyone.

Crissylu and Nicki, I hear ya! Unlike the two of you who started out the gate gang-busters, I've been a slow, slow loser and just recently felt close to the green zone with my last fill to 3.8 a month ago. Today, I don't feel so green again and I'm hungry. Yet a couple days ago when I went in to the doc, I had lost 6 pounds from last month... That's huge for me. He said, "keep doing what you're doing."

So tonight, since I'm so "hungry," I thought about that. What have I done differently the past 2 days that make me feel "not satisfied?" And I know. Last month, I got all of my Water in every day, and then some. I focused on meals with solid Protein ... chicken mostly, and fish. I avoided most carbs and sweets. Today I ate a sandwich, with half of the white bread, a few candies, and a couple (small) pieces of cake with frosting. Nothing is going to satisfy me tonight except going to bed so I don't mindlessly keep trying to fill that 'hole' that I truly believe is a sugar addiction. Green zone or not, carbs seem to get me.

Not sure if either of you are carb sensitive too, but boy, it sure does help me to avoid them at all cost. And if I fill up on solid protein, like chicken breast, I have a better chance of not being tempted by them.

My BMI is 26, which doc says is normal, but I'm really hoping to get closer to 24. (I should probably figure out what weight that is, lol)

Keep at it, one foot forward, we're all in this together. No, it's not easy by any means, but it is so, so, so much better than where we were! Love you guys.

LB

I have been banded for a year and a half..only two fills.gained and lost at least 40 pounds on that time. But I haven't lost hope.I haven't been to the doctors since lay August (no insurance). Hopefully I will by September. Try and try again, I'm sure once I get a fill I should start to drop a few more pounds. 40 more pounds to go..I can see success in my future..

hope

Ladybandido- I truly know you're right, I'm definitely a sugar addict.I think I even have the book Sugar Busters, not that I've read it. You are right- when I eat Protein, I feel full and am not craving stuff. It also takes way longer to eat, which is good. I need to look at MFP and go back to eating what I was eating back then- eggs and cheese, black Beans and chicken, etc. Protein laden foods! and back to logging and exercising. I will do this!!!

Hi Glory- this is what I keep telling myself- I have my band and it will work, and still work even if I have to get back to it after sliding! I can- to quote my most favorite Disney movie- Keep moving forward!!!

Nicki

Hey all, it's August 1, I've logged Breakfast in MFP, threw out the bad snax I had at work, and have a healthy lunch and snax packed for today! There is still ice cream in the house, but I will avoid. Going to a back to school picnic tonight, I will eat potato salad (as it's what is "safe" for me from the probable picnic choices, LOL). I plan on checking in once a day here to keep myself honest!

Nicki

Great plan, Nicki! I'll try to log on with you each day.

Thanks Lady Bandito! I survived no ice cream last night. I had popcorn and a small pudding pack thing, slightly frozen. It's what I had when I was actively losing, so I should stick with that, right? Or one of those Fiber One bars, they're good.

I weighed myself last night- I have gained back 25 lbs. Man, that hurts to state. but an all ice cream all the time diet is not conducive to losing weight, is it? So now with tracking and getting back to exercising I know I'll head back down the scale and be successful. So it just goes to show that even with a band it's work, but honestly I was eating for emotional reasons, so just have to cut that out. Like it's that easy, right, but I'm working on it. That is the nice thing about the band, it's here and will work if I work it!

Nicki

Nicki, sounds like you are headed in the right direction! Keep it up. Don't kill yourself, just log and read what you log. I know I was always surprised at how easy things add up!

Doing well with my rehab. No walker and no cane now. Still trying to rebuild muscle and hope to be doing some real exercise in a couple weeks. I have not been eating well during my rehab, but the weight is remaining steady. I think i will gain a little when I start exercising as I am sure I have lost quite a bit of muscle. I'll deal with that as it happens!

Actually tried to go to the pool tonight, but it was a little breezy and cool. ill go tomorrow morning when it heats back up in the 90s.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Hi Sue- yes, it does add up! But I'm plugging along- on day 3, yay! So far so good. I'm eating (well, drinking :)) breakfast, eating a good Protein lunch and dinner, and some healthy, logged Snacks. So good for me, LOL. I'm down a couple lbs already- i am updating my ticker, even though I don't want to ;(, but it is what it is and I did it to myself. I knew this wouldn't be easy, but I still hoped, LOL.

Hope you get to the pool! That is such good exercise for rehabbing (and in general). I went to Zumba this morning and walked a bit on the track before as I was early. So all in all a good day so far!

Nicki

Busy weekend for me, so not much time to post.

SueBee, glad recovery is moving full steam ahead!

Nicki, so proud of you!!

My focus this week will be to increase Protein. With my workouts and light eating, I've been feeling more tired than usual, and weight is steady. Also increasing the H2o, if that's at all possible, lol.