Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friday Lap Band Surgery - And Realized Today How I Need To Change

I was finishing up my paperwork today for my Friday surgery and thinking about New Year's eve, and realized how my life revolves around food: when I'm going to eat, what I'm going to eat, etc. Its not that I have bad habits (usually) - I just love food and realizing that I have to change the way I THINK about food is scary.

Any suggestions?

My husband and I are doing this together and have the same issue. We have found that talking about the things we're going to be able to do as the weight comes off has helped us, so when we would normally be talking about food or what to eat etc. We talk about how nice it will be to buy clothes in normal sizes, or sit comfortably at a school assemblies, etc. And now even though still early in process we already feel positive changes so we talk about them.

Good luck with surgery!!

I definitely agree with you about changing the way you think. I am having this same issue. I was talking to my fiance about this today during my preop visit. My surgery is Jan 9th and I am scared to death. I have just realized that I will not be able to eat mostly anything that I have been eating any longer. Its very scary. I was also thinking about how am I going to feel when I become physically smaller. I am 36 yrs old and have found myself just now being self confident about my weight. Now it seems I will have to get secure with being "skinny". I definitely see how this is an emotional journey. Good luck on Friday.

I was finishing up my paperwork today for my Friday surgery and thinking about New Year's eve, and realized how my life revolves around food: when I'm going to eat, what I'm going to eat, etc. Its not that I have bad habits (usually) - I just love food and realizing that I have to change the way I THINK about food is scary.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Mish and Kath - just knowing that others feel like this helps so much. I think I'm more nervous about food than I am the surgery!

I am four days post op and I keep thinking about food. I am trying to shift my thoughts, but I am struggling. This clear liquid diet really sucks. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

I read an article, can't remember where, that mentioned focusing on what you CAN eat rather than what you CAN'T eat- planning is really important. This is hard at first, but it gets easier. I find if I don't think about what I'm going to eat ahead of time and make sure it's available, I end up eating crap.

I also weigh myself every day! I know a lot of people say don't do that because your weight fluctuates, it's depressing, etc, BUT it's not depressing if you're seeing the numbers go down every day. And if they're up a little, it makes me pay more attention to what I put in my mouth that day so that I can see a drop the next morning. If I'm not seeing a drop (or at least the same number) then I know I need to change something.

Good luck on Friday!

My husband and I are doing this together and have the same issue.

My husband and I did it together too! We were banded on 12/19 he's lost 25 and I've lost 20!

Sandybraman - I've only been banded for just over a week. We are the same way. I love to cook and I love to eat, I'm always thinking about it. After being banded giving it up is different. Here are some revelations that I've had this week that might help you

- I love to cook, and I still can, I will just cook great healthy meals in smaller portions. I read all these blogs were the women make all of these amazing meals and sweets and they're all skinny. WTF? I can do that. The band is going to give me that control.

- Before the band I ate whatever i wanted whenever i wanted all the time. Now, There's only so much room. If I over eat, I run the risk of hurting myself and possibly having to get the band off, or go on a super strict liquid diet. If I don't eat enough Protein, I could lose my hair.

My husband and I were talking about what it will be like going to restaurants in the future and I said, honestly it's the same. Pre-band we went to a restaurant and scarfed down entire meals in 10 or 15 minutes. Well now when we go to a restaurant we'll eat slower and less. So what difference does it make? We'll be sitting there eating smaller bites for longer period of time. We'll have more time to talk and enjoy eachother.

I hope this helps and I hope you have an easy successful surgery!

So good to hear so many ppl having the same feelings! I try to focus on the rewards at the end- as cheesy as that sounds. That and my 4 yr old son.

My surgery is tmr in arlington, va and I've come to that scary realization as well. I still plan to cook as my husband does not, or rather, I don't want him too, lol. I love to go out to different restaurants, try different recipes at home, etc. so realizing that life will seriously change scares me a bit but i'm ready for the challenge.

I'll still cook - we've always eaten fairly healthy and mostly the things on the list of things you're SUPPOSED to eat. I just didn't realize how important food is to me and it was an AH HAH moment; I have to find other things to focus on.

That being said, tomorrow night at this time I'll be at the hotel in Dallas (Richardson), having eaten my last regular meal. I'm excited, scared, nervous - too many emotions to express - but mostly I just want it to be over so that I can move on to 2012.

Hugs to all of you - I'll let you know on Friday how it went!

P.S. WJROSS, I've got you in my prayers, chica, and will think good thoughts for you tomorrow! Good luck - you're almost there!

Sandy, I am keeping you in my thoughts.. I had surgery almost a week ago, It will go fast and soon you will be banded and on to a new life! Hope all goes well!

Thanks for all of the positive reinforcement and the well wishes! Tomorrow at this time, the surgery will be over!

I'll keep you all close and let you know how it goes!