Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I live near downtown Dallas and looking for a great surgeon in the Dallas area. With a good staff. Good follow-up care. Good support. I am a high risk case, so I need the best. I've met 3 drs. so far, but noone has the right combination I'm looking for. Right now the dr's I'm considering are Cribbens, Hamm and Rodriquez.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

I used Dr. Marsden through True Results in Richardson (he has many offices and also owns Dallas LapBand). The hospital we used was Baylor Trophy Club. Their offices made the entire process SO easy. I went to my first personal consult 11/10 and was banded by 12/7 - pre-op visit, nurtionist, 2 sleep studies, psych eval, labs, cardiac/pulmonary clearance - everything. They do it all in "clumped visits" so you are there for a couple hours but you get a LOT done. Dr. Marsden is very knowledgeable and SO funny, my husband and I both really liked him. I am only 2 weeks post-op but already had my post-op visit yesterday and it was wonderful. I had NONE of the surgical after-effects people talk about (pain, nausea, etc.) Its been a breeze and so far I'm down 19 lbs. Their website is www.trueresults.com - check them out, they might be just what you're looking for. Good Luck on your journey and please keep us posted here on LBT!

I also used True Results. I used Dr. Snow in Hurst, but they have been great.

I too used True Results and Dr. Snow. I couldn't have a better lap band doctor and his staff are equally as good.

I used Dr. Fox at True Results in Richardson and love him. His staff is awesome too.

Good Luck!!!

My surgery is scheduled for 12/30 at the True Results surgery center in Richardson. I don't know who my surgeon is yet, but all of the staff has been so helpful and so supportive. I'll let you know more after Friday, but I'm very comfortable with the decision to go to True Results.

P.S. I'm driving to Richardson from Tyler (which is approxiately 100 miles from the True Results office) and will be going to them for my fills, if that gives you an indication of my confidence.

You should request Dr. Fox in Richardson - he is wonderful. I have heard some negative things about a few True Results local doctors, but none are listed on this blog.

I'm going thru Dr Stowers at Bariatric Solutions. Everyone in that office is awesome...I have no complaints. They are so attentive and responsive.

They have several offices around DFW, but I went to their Dallas office up by the Galleria. 940-626-4683

I was banded on 28 Dec 2012 by Dr. John Marsden. I also went thru True Results in Richardson, TX. Some of the true results employees were also banded by Dr. Marsden.

If you happen to go with True Results in Richardson the staff is friendly and helpful. Never had a problem with them.

Dr. Marsden... I only meet him twice. The day b4 the surgery and the day of. I didn't get that one on one relationship with my surgeon as I did with true results. But I will be seeing the doctor within the next 2 weeks for a checkup

Thanks, everyone. You all clearly liked your doctors. That's great. Right now ... because of y'all, I'm taking a close look at Dr. Fox and Dr. Marsden. Dr. Fox has really impressive credentials. He's a surgeon first and formeost & does a host of other surgeries as well. Dr. Marsden strictly does weight loss. Commenets about him have been mostly positive, but some older ones said he didn't do much follow up. Hey ... I want it all: Fantstic surgeon, great follow up and a decent bedside manner. I want a doctor that likes to be a partner in my journey, not the leader. I dislike anyone giving me orders. I may not be as smart, but my IQ is definitely up there, and I hate being treated like I'm anything less. I view all people as my equals, and some dr's don't like that.

Mind you I had originally signed on with the top WLS surgeon in the Southwest -- Dr, David Provost of Denton. He's 35 miles away, and I dislike his PA big time, who does most/all of the fills. He's got a great support system, but it's 35 miles away. BTW he was the first surgeon in Texas to do the RNY and probably the LAPBAND as well.

I considered John Alexander, another excellent surgeon, but he has a my way or the highway approach. I also looked at Dr. Cribbens, but found a lack of post-op support, same with Dr. Steven Hamm and Dr. Benavides,

I've narrowed my list of Dallas area docs to 5: Dr. John Michael Marsden, Dr. Louis Fox, Dr. Stephen V. Hamn, Dr. Joseph Cribbins, and Dr. Richard Benavides. This list is based on excellence, experience, good reviews and distance.

Please help me pick the right one for me. I've already visited 3 docs, so I can't afford to see them all. Please comment specifically on these questions.

1. How long was your pre-op liquid stage, and what were you told to eat?

2. How long was your post-op liquid stage, and what were you told to eat?

3. What was your follow-up care like with the doctor and his staff - strong, so so, could be better?

4. What was the thing you liked best about your experience and the least?

I used Dr. Marsden. I met with him before the surgery, the day of he met with me & my husband as well as talked with my hubs after the surgery, and again at my 2 wk post-op appt. I absolutely loved him and he was great, very personable and funny! My pre-op was never all liquid - we had 2 shakes per day and a regular Protein rich meal for 2 weeks. Then I was back on regular food at 2 weeks post-op. He's very reasonable! After I did liquids for a week, mushies for a few days and then slowly added back in regular food. The follow-up was wonderful! I had mine at Baylor Trophy Club hospital and they all call to check on you following surgery and his office is ALWAYS available for questions, concerns, etc and its always handled same day. I just had my 1st fill and it was easy-breezy, too. I loved the whole thing - I am a BCBS patient, started pre-op November 10 and was banded December 7. All pre-op testing, etc. done in less than a month. They made is easy which is what I loved, I cannot stand drama and there was none! Good luck, keep us posted!

I had Dr. Marsden. For questions 1 & 2 I typed EVERYTHING WORD FOR WORD for you. During the our group meeting with Dr. Marsden (that is through True Results), his patients and I discussed if we actually followed the pre op diet. I did fairly well. I didnt follow it exactly, but I didn't eat Red Lobster, Mickey D's, everyday either. However, this one man did not follow the diet at all. He was very nervous to whether he would be able to have the surgery due to him not following it. He even said, (his exact words) I had a bucket list I wanted to have b4 the surgery. And then there was this couple who was getting the surgery as well and said they followed it LITERALLY for what the pre op diet was. And they lost a about a total of 10-15 lbs together I believe. They were really strict with it and took what the words say literally. In my own opinion, I guess its your mental strength/wanting to follow the pre op diet to the degree that works best for you.

1. How long was your pre-op liquid stage, and what were you told to eat?

Meal 1: 1 serving of 2: yogurt, fruit, egg, whole grain Cereal, toast, bagel, waffle, muffin

Meal 2: 1 serving of Protein drink

Meal 3: 1 serving (4-6 ounces) of lean meat or fish AND 1 serving of a green vegetable (lettuce, peas, broccoli, green Beans, spinach, etc)

Meal 4: 1 serving of Protein Drink

Duration: 2 weeks pre surgery

2. How long was your post-op liquid stage, and what were you told to eat?

Week 1: liquids - broth, skim milk, fruit juice, sugar free popsicles or Jello, low cal drinks

Protein Drinks WILL BE YOUR ONLY SOURCE OF Protein DURING WEEK ONE, DON'T FORGET TO DRINK YOUR Protein Drink THIS WEEK

**** BASICALLY ANYTHING THAT WILL GO THROUGH A STRAW IS OKAY THE FIRST WEEK. HOWEVER, WE DISCOURAGE THE USE OF A STRAW AS IT INCREASES GAS*****

WEEK 2: Soft foods (thicker Soups, scrambled eggs, pudding, canned meat, applesauce)

WEEK 3: Solid foods (During this week most people are able to tolerate solid foods again. Please be careful not to overeat. You should keep the quantity of food to half cup. Just because you can eat more than half cup doesn't mean that you should. Remember the importance or not stretching the pouch. If you don't feel like you are ready to progress to the next weeks recommended diet, stay where you are and proceed at your own pace. Please make it habit to chew food well. By not chewing properly, you may experience vomiting, stomach irritation and swelling. You could also have an obstruction. Protein Drinks daily if you're not eating recommended 60-70 grams of protein.

3. What was your follow-up care like with the doctor and his staff - strong, so so, could be better?

I don't know yet. I will be calling later today to schedule a follow up with him and his staff. However, a couple of days after surgery I did call Dr. Marsden's # and was given immediate assistant.

4. What was the thing you liked best about your experience and the least?

If you're going through True Results the staff is knowledgable. One of the rep told me what other doctors were good even though I was having Dr. Marsden.

Least - Hhhmmmm...... I don't really have one. But if I had to pick at something, I guess since I went through True Results I have more of a 'personal relationship' with them vs Dr. Marsden. However, I do believe he is only a call away.