Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did your fills really start to work for you?

When did your fills really start to work for you?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. When did your fills really start to work for you?

• Day 1
    • Days / Weeks Later
    • None worked until several fills later
    • Other....please explain

I'm scheduled for my first fill on 4/11. I was told that sometimes it can take up to 6 months before they get the right restriction and things start working steadily. I hope it doesn't take that long.

I'm out six months and I still don't have the right restriction. My doc likes to go VERY slow with the fills and his appointment book fills up so fast you can't get an appointment more than once a month! I think the next fill might do it, though.

i had a fill about 45 days ago, and it was great!! i notice now, i can eat more than i could when i first got it. is this normal? i am making an appoinmnet for another when i get back home!!!

What wonderful information this thread has given me. I am scheduled for my 1st fill on 4/7 and can't wait. I have slowly worked my way up to eating alot again. Surgery was not that long ago.

I'm not so sure this is normal.?? Maybe someone else has gone thru same?

After surgery we don't eat much because of the healing of the stomach, not because of the band. So it will be normal to see the feeling of "not being able to eat" go away. This is when the function of the band takes place, and you begin the fill process.

I have had 2 fills. With the first, I felt restriction for about 2.5 weeks. I knew I needed another. I had my 2nd fill a month after the first. I still feel restriction with the 2nd, and it has now also been a month. I can eat a bit more, but can't go fast or eat too much. I consider this optimal, until I can eat too freely. Then I'll go for the 3rd. Hopefully this won't happen and I can stay with 2 fills.

Hope this helps.

I had two before a I noticed any real restrictions and then had to have some removed because (about 4 hours later) I couldn't keep Water down. Now, it is better and seems to be working as it should. Don't be tempted to get too much of a fill because it will hurt you if you push it too far!! Good luck! Terri

My first fill didn't kick in until two weeks later in the middle of a convention in Las Vegas. I PB'd almost every single thing I tried to eat the whole time I was there!!

I had my second fill today, and the doctor makes me drink 16 oz of Water before I leave. It gurgled a lot but went down. He alleges that I should feel restriction faster with my second fill, but honestly, I came home and had Soup and a Protein shake and still feel hungry. I guess I'll see how I feel in a few days.

Well I am pleased to be able to post that I finally have restriction. It took a lot of patience, record keeping and reporting that I had not been satisfied ever. I was getting .25 fills monthly and last week I got .50. That did it. I am at 2.5 in a 4cc band. Nov 22, 2005 surg. I finally found out what restriction really was. I have found that in the morning I am very tight. I like a warm Protein Drink, I work out at 8am and I need something in my stomach. Other days I have two turkey sausage patties and two scrambled eggs.

Today I had a very new experience. I had eaten a small entree for lunch and grabbed a Protein Bar, got into the car to go to the post office. After getting home ten minutes later I felt I was going to get sick. I stood in the bathroom for 20 minutes and waited for the pain to subside. The bar was Peanut Butter, and it really did get stuck somewhere in the pouch.

Big lesson, for the rest of this day I shall only do liquids. I feel it is irritable, even with Water.< /p>

I waited every time for the fill to feel "right" and I feel for now it is what I should be feeling. I have to really watch it when I eat something and forget it needs to be slow, not the "old way".

Finally feeling restriction, always wondering what is next.

Debra

I have had five fills and this last one I have felt restriction like the nurse practioner said it will take 4 to 5 fills to get the restriction you need very impatient but I have lost 56 pounds not where I wanted to be but I will keep trying to find that sweet spot let you know

I just had my second fill seven days ago and I am having lots of trouble. I called the doctor twice because I'm eating les than 400 calories a day. I can only eat one meal a day and then drink smoothies (weight watchers). I know it's going to catch up with me. I have been going to the gym still a 45 minute walk while there. So I know I'm burning more calories than putting in. Don't get me wrong I have already lost three pounds since the fill so it makes me happy. I just don't know if I should have some taken out or keep going and see what happens by the end of the week? Need Help!!!:help:

and each one was different. the first one i got 1cc in a 4cc band and I didn't feel anything until 3 weeks out and then it was great because i was never hungry and it stayed that way for about a month and a half! then I got my second fill just last week and they added .5cc for a total of 1.5cc, well this one I could feel right away and I can only eat a few bites at a time but this time...:) sadly I get hungry much quicker in between, I am still hopefull that in a week or two the hunger part will change and I will not feel that way.

Mary

Are you getting enough Protein everyday? because if your not then you need to get some taken out. You don't want to loose your hair and muscle tone. Then again if by the second week you can get your Protein down then I would say to keep it like it is. That is just from my experience. I am surprised that you can still work out. When I can't eat the correct calories, I get really weak. Good Luck.

I have not been getting enough Protein but I just received a recipe that I will be trying. Today I have been able to eat a little more and am feeling better. I haven't gone to the gym all week I am going in the morning to see how I feel. Wish me luck.