Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To Lapbandtalk And Thinking About The Lap Band Procedure

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and I am thinking about having the lap band procedure done. Right now my BMI is 42.3 and I have trouble breathing when I walk short distances. I have a full time job with most of my time spent is behind a desk. I am also a full time student working towards my BA Degree. I am married and have 5 children at home. I feel that if I don’t take care of myself, how am I able to take care of my family.

I would like to know the pro and cons about the procedure, because it is better to know all the information before getting the procedure than finding out after it is done. I do have my first Doctors appointment on Dec. 19. I do know that my insurance will cover it because of my BMI. I am aware that this is a big/huge lifestyle change. I have been trying to make some changes before I see my doctor. I have quit smoking, changed my eating habits and am watching my portions during meals.

Hi, and welcome,

You are well on your way. You need to be eating high Protein and low carbs. Drink lots and lots of Water. At least try to get a short walk in everyday or get a gym membership. I know, your days are crammed and perhaps you already do. It is usually about a three to six month process depending on your insurance and surgeon requirements. Use a center of excellence if at all possible.

I wish you well. I have my preop. Feel free to message me if I can help you further. All the best to you,

Melinda

Hi, I meant to say that my pre-op is today, I will be happy to expound in a later post answer your questions about the pros and cons but I am jammed for time currently.

hoping that others will chime in

Melinda

Thank you for that. I will be glad to know all that I can.

I think you have this figured out, but as a bandster, let me make sure you know this: THIS IS NOT A MAGICAL CURE. There is no lap band for your mind or your mouth.

That being said, its a wonderful tool that gives many of us just the right push we need to overcome our eating tendencies. Your will power is stronger when you're not ACTUALLY hungry! Best of luck to you!

Take a seat and enjoy the ride. You came to the right place, look around there is tons of information for you!!! Good Luck!

Hi, I sent you an email on your LB account.

I am 13 days post op. For me the whole process took 1 1/2 months. I opted to postpone surgery a little while due to family emergency. I wouldnt change a thing!!! But as said before it will not change your mind or mouth, but I found once I was off of carbs I don't crave them near as much anymore. I am new here as well and would love to be LBT friends. Keep in touch!

~Robin

Thank you all for you advise. I was suppose to have my first doctors on Dec 2 but it had to be it has been moved to Dec 19. It sort of sucks, I was looking forward to this appointment.