Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone filled above there band size?

I have a 4cc band and am filled to 3.5. I still have to loose 40 lbs. I did the 5 day test, and that brought the restriction back (thank goodness), but some people say they have gone over there band size.

I have a 4cc band and am filled to 3.5. I still have to loose 40 lbs. I did the 5 day test, and that brought the restriction back (thank goodness), but some people say they have gone over there band size.

I'll pass on to you how my PA explained it-- I asked her what if I get all the way to my 10 cc capacity and still need restriction. She said that no one gets that far. She said that you have a fat layer around your stomach. As you lose weight, you also lose some of the fat that blankets the stomach, thus needing subsequent fills to maintain tightness as you lose more and more weight. She said that once all that fat layer is essentially gone, your stomach will no longer shrink, and whatever fill you are at will remain effective.

I have 3 fills so far and am 4.75. I stll can eat anything. I am seeming to feel satisfied longer between meals, but if I wanted to, I could still eat more at one sitting.

My question to you is, why a 4 cc band? I've heard of a 10 and 11, but never a 4. Are there other sizes as well? Wonder what determines what size band you get. I've also never heard of filling over your band size! I thought it is like a glass of water-- once at the max, it won't hold any more! I have so much to learn! This website is soooo helpful and informative!

Thanks for posing the question!

I liked your explanation, thank you.

I'll pass on to you how my PA explained it-- I asked her what if I get all the way to my 10 cc capacity and still need restriction. She said that no one gets that far. She said that you have a fat layer around your stomach. As you lose weight, you also lose some of the fat that blankets the stomach, thus needing subsequent fills to maintain tightness as you lose more and more weight. She said that once all that fat layer is essentially gone, your stomach will no longer shrink, and whatever fill you are at will remain effective.

I have 3 fills so far and am 4.75. I stll can eat anything. I am seeming to feel satisfied longer between meals, but if I wanted to, I could still eat more at one sitting.

My question to you is, why a 4 cc band? I've heard of a 10 and 11, but never a 4. Are there other sizes as well? Wonder what determines what size band you get. I've also never heard of filling over your band size! I thought it is like a glass of water-- once at the max, it won't hold any more! I have so much to learn! This website is soooo helpful and informative!

Thanks for posing the question!

I liked your explanation, thank you. Why a 4 cc band opposed to a 10 cc?? Wish I knew! I'll ask

I'll pass on to you how my PA explained it-- I asked her what if I get all the way to my 10 cc capacity and still need restriction. She said that no one gets that far. She said that you have a fat layer around your stomach. As you lose weight, you also lose some of the fat that blankets the stomach, thus needing subsequent fills to maintain tightness as you lose more and more weight. She said that once all that fat layer is essentially gone, your stomach will no longer shrink, and whatever fill you are at will remain effective....

My question to you is, why a 4 cc band?

I've never heard this explanation before. It's really interesting. So I guess the idea is that without the fat layer around the stomach, there is no restriction?

Regarding the 4cc band, I believe those were one of the original sizes? I was banded earlier this month and was told by my Doctor that only the 9cc and 13cc Allergan AP Lapbands are currently available. My wife and I just had the 9cc bands put in.

I've got a 4cc band - I was banded nearly six years ago.

I believe they "can" hold a little more than their stated size - its not quite like a glass of Water that will overflow - its more like a Water balloon that you can still squeeze a smidgeon more in - but its risky. Like an overflated ballon - it CAN burst and if you let Fluid out, it will be flabby and loose (a bit like our bodies, sigh) and will then offer LESS restriction at a given fill volume than it otherwise would have.

But as you get closer to full, it takes less and less to make a big difference. I think you'll be surprised at what that next tiny fill or two could do.

I've never heard this explanation before. It's really interesting. So I guess the idea is that without the fat layer around the stomach, there is no restriction?

Regarding the 4cc band, I believe those were one of the original sizes? I was banded earlier this month and was told by my Doctor that only the 9cc and 13cc Allergan AP Lapbands are currently available. My wife and I just had the 9cc bands put in.

Wow! So cool that you and your wife are both doing this together! Good luck to you both!

From what I understand, it's not that there is no restriction once the fat layer around your stomach is gone. Rather, the opposite-- once the band is filled to a certain point (ie., no fat left arond the stomach), the stomach theoretically cannot shrink any more, so the band at that fill amount should stay steady. Like I have read on this site (cause it hasn't happened to me yet), someone might feel "tight" after a particular fill (say 4.5), but once they lose say another 10 pounds, a little more of the fat around the stomach goes away as well, so that most recent fill is then slightly loosened (a little less stomach to cling to), and thus, not quite as effective. So you might need another fill for the same effect, say now to 4.75. And on and on, til you find you need no more fills and you still feel full after not too much to eat! People here call it the sweet spot or the green zone, which I am still striving for! Once there is no fat around the stomach, the band doesn't loosen any more, so stays effective without subsequent fills.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you PA a bit. I have a 11 CC band and am at 10.7. I would say I am at the green zone but could possibly be tighter. I am definately loosing very slowly and I am a very conservative eater and do an hour of cardio every day. I have not gone back for an additional fill for a couple reasons.

One they may say I don't neeed a fill since I can go 5 hours without being hungry and do go 8-9 hours between lunch and dinner. At that point I am really hungry but who would'nt be 8 hours after eating and doing an hour of rigorous cardio?

Two while I am not as tight as some people; very rarely I get stuck moments usually on bread. Which I don't eat that often (only eat it when out I don't keep bread, cereals, crackers in my house). I don't want to live my life afraid that I will have stuck episodes or PB's. Since my new insurance does'nt cover fills it would cost me $500 for a fill visit.

That said I don't want to discourage peopel from getting the band. I have lost 52 pounds. I am happy I just wish it was more.

The Lapband AP series is a 10cc band (s) or a 14cc band (L) Some doctors say they are 11cc or 15 cc taking into account that 1cc could sit in the tubing of the band. I have the lapband ap s band and saw my paperwork that says it is 10cc.

With the SAG band ( version before realize) I know of some people that have nearly 11cc in it ( its an 11cc band) and the doctor said they could go a little over the 11cc amount because some saline sits in the tubing.

I know many people who are banded and have never met someone with a full band.

The 4cc band is sometimes still used in Mexico hence why some doctors are cheaper down there because that band is an older version and cheaper to use.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you PA a bit. I have a 11 CC band and am at 10.7. I would say I am at the green zone but could possibly be tighter. I am definately loosing very slowly and I am a very conservative eater and do an hour of cardio every day. I have not gone back for an additional fill for a couple reasons.

One they may say I don't neeed a fill since I can go 5 hours without being hungry and do go 8-9 hours between lunch and dinner. At that point I am really hungry but who would'nt be 8 hours after eating and doing an hour of rigorous cardio?

Two while I am not as tight as some people; very rarely I get stuck moments usually on bread. Which I don't eat that often (only eat it when out I don't keep bread, cereals, crackers in my house). I don't want to live my life afraid that I will have stuck episodes or PB's. Since my new insurance does'nt cover fills it would cost me $500 for a fill visit.

That said I don't want to discourage peopel from getting the band. I have lost 52 pounds. I am happy I just wish it was more.

What a bummer that fills would now cost you $500 a fill! Have you called other doctors to see if they would do it for less? Another person on this site included a web site to check out regarding different sizes of bands, etc. I read the article. It said that even when you are at max, or in your green zone, that you will probably still have to get a fill annually for life (!), as all bands have slight leaks (like a helium balloon)! For me, that was such a great explanation!

So bottom line is, you will probably need another fill sooner or later. You didn't say when you last fill was. Based on the explanation from the article, you may have less than 10.7 in your band right now! Anyway, super good luck on finding a more reasonable doctor for your next fill! And by the way, 52 lbs is nothing to sneeze at! Super congrats! And good luck!

I had great restriction at 3cc in a 4cc band by the time I'd lost all my weight. From that point on, I didnt need fills anymore in that I didnt lose more weight and my stomach didnt lose the fat around it - my weight loss kind of petered out and got slower and slower till I thought "I guess this is goal". But once a year or so I've been for tiny top up fills when I've felt that I was eating more/faster/worse. Sure enough, each time I've lost 0.1 to 0.2cc from my band - it does evaporate slightly, cant tell you how, but its not like you get to goal and then dont have to touch your band ever again.

Now, I had to unfill my band this time last year, completely, for a surgery. In about July this year I began filling it again. I'm up to 3.4cc and dont have anything like the restriction I had at 3cc - band has been sighted on CT scan and Xray and all is fine, but they are just fickle things that can change for seemingly no reason.