Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food questions

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group and in the inquiring stages of getting banded. My new insurance covers it and it's something I have read about and thought about for a few years. I submitting paperwork today to get the ball rolling but wanted to get some of the questions out of the way from real people versus Dr's.

I am 100% Sicilian. With that means, food has always been about comfort. I am an experienced cook, very creative in the kitchen and have won recipes and ended up in cookbooks, etc.. I also food blog and do restaurant reviews so this is a huge life challenge for me.

I have done well on Weight Watchers in the past but it always creeps back up. I was doing so well and lost almost 50 pounds until my center closed and moved far away. Thhen the weight crept back and I am back into this stage and want to do something while I am still young. I am 37, overall very good health but overweight (obviously).

I am curious if I have to walk away from everything or if you can occassionally try things that aren't on your list?? For instance, once a month, my Italian family gets together for all of us to cook. Will I never be able to have Pasta again in my life?? Or is this something that once a month, I can have a few bites and partake in our tradition??

How are holidays for everyone? While everyone is eating, is it mentally tough?

I know high Protein is pushed... Is sushi or sashimi an option?

Are you able to ever have a glass of wine? I know you can't eat and drink at the same time (is this correct?) but what if I went out with friends and wanted a cocktail? Is it just hard to digest or is it because it's empty calories?

I just want to check on how my lifestyle and this surgery would go together. Thanks in advance!

I'm not going to lie to you, this will be hard. Particularly if you have so much of your identity revolving around food. That might change for you-- or it might not. Yes you can still enjoy food with a band. Hopefully, the band will help you to enjoy less food- the whole point is to be satisfied with smaller portions.

So as to your specific questions... yes, you can sometimes have some Pasta (if your band isn't too tight). Yes, an occasional wine is OK- the problem is the calories, not that you can't digest it. Yes, holidays can be really hard, and you have to make the choice to gorge yourself or to control your portions. Yes, sushi or sashimi is fine, though some people have trouble getting it down.

The truth of the band is really... no matter how much research you do beforehand (and I think everyone should do a ton), you really just don't know how the band will affect you once you have it. People have such wildly different responses to this surgery, it truly amazes me. The further I get into this journey (I'm just past 6 months banded now) the more I realize that there really doesn't seem to be a "typical" surgical outcome. Some people get stuck on bread from day 1, even if they never get a fill. Some people like me (I'm at 8.25 cc's) never get stuck at all and spend lots of time wondering if the band is actually DOING anything in there.

So I can tell you... for me, so far, this has been a diet with a very high price tag, as I had to pay 20% of the surgery cost. I wasn't expecting a miracle, I feel like I had really realistic expectations for the band, but I'm getting to be on the high end of amount of band fills and I'm starting to come to grips with the fact that at this point, I am very much on a diet. That's not true for everyone who is banded, but it is for me, and I just need to deal with it.

So there you go... way more info than you asked for ;)

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group and in the inquiring stages of getting banded. My new insurance covers it and it's something I have read about and thought about for a few years. I submitting paperwork today to get the ball rolling but wanted to get some of the questions out of the way from real people versus Dr's.

I am 100% Sicilian. With that means, food has always been about comfort. I am an experienced cook, very creative in the kitchen and have won recipes and ended up in cookbooks, etc.. I also food blog and do restaurant reviews so this is a huge life challenge for me.

I have done well on Weight Watchers in the past but it always creeps back up. I was doing so well and lost almost 50 pounds until my center closed and moved far away. Thhen the weight crept back and I am back into this stage and want to do something while I am still young. I am 37, overall very good health but overweight (obviously).

I am curious if I have to walk away from everything or if you can occassionally try things that aren't on your list?? For instance, once a month, my Italian family gets together for all of us to cook. Will I never be able to have Pasta again in my life?? Or is this something that once a month, I can have a few bites and partake in our tradition??

Are you able to ever have a glass of wine? I know you can't eat and drink at the same time (is this correct?) but what if I went out with friends and wanted a cocktail? Is it just hard to digest or is it because it's empty calories?

I just want to check on how my lifestyle and this surgery would go together. Thanks in advance!

I'm not going to lie to you, this will be hard. Particularly if you have so much of your identity revolving around food. That might change for you-- or it might not. Yes you can still enjoy food with a band. Hopefully, the band will help you to enjoy less food- the whole point is to be satisfied with smaller portions.

So as to your specific questions... yes, you can sometimes have some Pasta (if your band isn't too tight). Yes, an occasional wine is OK- the problem is the calories, not that you can't digest it. Yes, holidays can be really hard, and you have to make the choice to gorge yourself or to control your portions. Yes, sushi or sashimi is fine, though some people have trouble getting it down.

The truth of the band is really... no matter how much research you do beforehand (and I think everyone should do a ton), you really just don't know how the band will affect you once you have it. People have such wildly different responses to this surgery, it truly amazes me. The further I get into this journey (I'm just past 6 months banded now) the more I realize that there really doesn't seem to be a "typical" surgical outcome. Some people get stuck on bread from day 1, even if they never get a fill. Some people like me (I'm at 8.25 cc's) never get stuck at all and spend lots of time wondering if the band is actually DOING anything in there.

So I can tell you... for me, so far, this has been a diet with a very high price tag, as I had to pay 20% of the surgery cost. I wasn't expecting a miracle, I feel like I had really realistic expectations for the band, but I'm getting to be on the high end of amount of band fills and I'm starting to come to grips with the fact that at this point, I am very much on a diet. That's not true for everyone who is banded, but it is for me, and I just need to deal with it.

So there you go... way more info than you asked for ;)

Thank you for being open with your experience. I know it will be tough as food has definitely played a big part of my life. I am a total foodie and food snob and luckily somewhat active so even tho I am overweight, it would be worse if I wasn't. I can understand the smaller portions and am ok with that. I have been trying to get on that mindset for awhile now. When I go out, my boyfriend and I order one app, one meal and one salad and split. Before, I could eat all three. I have been trying to change my mindset and just get the tastes and knowing a band in place would help me with that longterm.

I just think wrapping my brain around the thought that I would NEVER be able to try things has been tough. This site is much more detailed than the previous site I was reviewing is. I kept reading that I couldn't eat Pasta. While I don't eat it that often, it was hard being Italian and thinking I could never have it again.

I know I need to get over the food and emotional part which will be the toughest part of this for me.

There's really no "never" that applies to the band, which is great news :) There are plenty of things we shouldn't do, and there are some foods some people can't eat, but I wouldn't at all say you'd never be able to eat Pasta again!

Thank you for being open with your experience. I know it will be tough as food has definitely played a big part of my life. I am a total foodie and food snob and luckily somewhat active so even tho I am overweight, it would be worse if I wasn't. I can understand the smaller portions and am ok with that. I have been trying to get on that mindset for awhile now. When I go out, my boyfriend and I order one app, one meal and one salad and split. Before, I could eat all three. I have been trying to change my mindset and just get the tastes and knowing a band in place would help me with that longterm.

I just think wrapping my brain around the thought that I would NEVER be able to try things has been tough. This site is much more detailed than the previous site I was reviewing is. I kept reading that I couldn't eat Pasta. While I don't eat it that often, it was hard being Italian and thinking I could never have it again.

I know I need to get over the food and emotional part which will be the toughest part of this for me.

Although I am not italIan, I am very much a foodie. food has always been front and center in my thoughts. So, before I had surgery ( I'm only 9 days banded), I did a ton of research. By that I mean, I read three good books which were super informative, and started searching around on this web site and listening to the real life stories. My hairdresser also put me In touch wih a client of hers who was three years banded and down 100 lbs, and also Italian. She told me that she still enjoyed cooking for her family, but now she simply didn't eat that much. She described her post band life as "now I can have my cake and it too". She just doesn't eat that much. And remember, no one in your family really cares how much you eat. They just want to be together as a family. So good luck making your decision. I hope this wasn't too much information!

Arlene

Although I am not italIan, I am very much a foodie. food has always been front and center in my thoughts. So, before I had surgery ( I'm only 9 days banded), I did a ton of research. By that I mean, I read three good books which were super informative, and started searching around on this web site and listening to the real life stories. My hairdresser also put me In touch wih a client of hers who was three years banded and down 100 lbs, and also Italian. She told me that she still enjoyed cooking for her family, but now she simply didn't eat that much. She described her post band life as "now I can have my cake and it too". She just doesn't eat that much. And remember, no one in your family really cares how much you eat. They just want to be together as a family. So good luck making your decision. I hope this wasn't too much information!

Arlene

Thanks so much for your note!! It's hard being a foodie and having the wrong assumption that I would be forever stuck eating yogurt and scrambled eggs forever. It seems like there is trial and error but that I can lead a normal life and enjoy some of the same things but at a MUCH smaller scale. I am ok with that. At dinner tonight, we split a meal and I told my boyfriend about my decision to talk to a Dr. He told me he loved me no matter what and would support me in any decision. With him for 7 yrs and seeing how amazing he is in tough times and even emergency surgery, I truly believe him. He said it would help him get healthier as well. One hurdle crossed.

Next up, my first orientation is Oct 26th and then my first Dr's appt is Nov 3rd. I have been reading SO much and feel so much better after reading personal blogs and tons of posts on here.

Congrats and good luck PoodleLover!! I would love to hear more of your journey since you are new into it. Also, LOVE the screen name. We are poodle lovers as well. I have had poodles my whole life and we currently have a 3 yr old little brat, who is the love of our life. She is Cafe Au Lait color with silver ears. Her name is Gypsy. So anyway, fellow poodle lover here too!! :)

Hi,

The ever present "list" will not guide your life after a certain point post-op. They are great suggestions and they should always be incorporated, but you will not be struck down with a lightning bolt for trying something different. For example, I'm 18 and in college (was banded in April) and junk food is more prevalent than healthy food. Last night, I partook in a, or should I say "half of a", New York Steamer Sub that was full of cheesy brisquet deliciousness. Healthy? Definitely not. Do I regret it? No, because I eat healthy most of the time! As for wine, it's more about the "empty" calories. But if you wish to go out and partake in a few glasses every once in a while, or even just one glass more frequently, you are going to be okay!

The Lap Band is not meant to control your life, honestly. You are meant to be able to live your life normally and eat like a normal person, but just less. Sure, you have to concentrate on eating healthy, but you should not feel bad for trying something indulgent every once in a while. You'll be fine. :)

As for the Pasta, it's a matter of what you can tolerate. You may still be able to eat it, but you'll just eat less of it. :) I used to not be able to handle Pasta very well, but I tried it a few more times for experimental purposes and find that I handle it fine now. I can also handle certain types of bread (I can't do the "hard" ones). It is a matter of personal tolerance and you won't know until you get the band. Should you miss out on family time? Absolutely not! You can still have fun, and even eat! You will just eat less. Suggestion, don't pick along the way cooking. You won't be hungry at all when you finally sit down and eat. You have no room for that anymore. xD Take it from me!

Good luck on your journey! I hope that you can incorporate this well into your lifestyle.

Elizabeth

I eat a normal diet with a little bit of everything - that includes Pasta once or twice a week, bread a few times a week, a glass of wine a couple of times a week etc. I eat chocolate and eat chips and Cookies occasionally too! I've not given anything up BUT I eat much less of everything and I do say no to those foods a lot more often than I would haveb previously done.

What you have to realise is that it is not the band that places these restrictions on you, its the trade off you make for being thin and healthy. Because band or no band, if you want to lose weight you cant go on eating the way you've been eating. You have to change. The band just makes it easier.

I eat a normal diet with a little bit of everything - that includes Pasta once or twice a week, bread a few times a week, a glass of wine a couple of times a week etc. I eat chocolate and eat chips and Cookies occasionally too! I've not given anything up BUT I eat much less of everything and I do say no to those foods a lot more often than I would haveb previously done.

What you have to realise is that it is not the band that places these restrictions on you, its the trade off you make for being thin and healthy. Because band or no band, if you want to lose weight you cant go on eating the way you've been eating. You have to change. The band just makes it easier.

Jachut is so right! Plus she has been on this path longer than me and most of us. Heh! I told my surgeon I was taking a cruise in 3 weeks and di dnot want a fill tis time. he said ok, wait until you get back. I have an apt for a fill the day before Thanksgiving! I guess this year I will be inhaling smells and being a real good hostess, but not eating. My surgeon requires 2 days of Clear liquids after a fill! But, life goes on! You should be able to have Pasta, at times. I can eat crunchy lasana noodles. You, also, have the option of eating your meatballs with out the speghetti, just sauce. Learn to enjoy, it will be okay! Karen

For me, I eat anything and everything I want but not very much of it! The hardest part of all this for me was worrying about what others think If I could only eat a quarter of what is served in a restaurant. Would they thing, "Oh, she must be anorexic so thats how she lost weight!" or would they think."Now shes skinny and she hardly eats so she must think I'm a pig for eating the whole serving!"

I really just had to let it go. Pretty much no one cares and if they do judge me or think I am judging them, I just dont care.

I have not given up any food and I have never dieted. I eat very tiny meals and much more often than I would have before. I think I have eaten a whole pizza in my life and now I can eat part of a slice...its all well worth it and I would even self pay again! I wear a size 6!

Thank you everyone for the help with this topic. I think I had it in my mind that I would never be able to lead a normal life around holidays, going out with family, etc. While I WANT to have restriction and have help with a life long commitment, I want the choice to be able to at least have a bite of something versus having the thought of NEVER being able to have something again.

You have all helped so much!!

Hello, Guys!

I am new to the community. I was banded on October 13 this year. I need your help!

You help me before. I found this site right after the surgery. I had some pains that confused and troubled me; however, I was able to find answers and explanations within your posts. I am on a puree diet (or I suppose to be on it). I have a trouble choosing what to eat, how many times, when to squeeze the Protein Shake, etc... The sample of my diet:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs or

2 8 oz of low fat cottage cheese or

1 packet of Carnation Breakfast and

cup of Decaf. coffee (20 min after the meal)

Lunch: 2 mid. size meatballs or

1/3 of cup of the mashed potato and 1/3 of cap of mashed chicken

Dinner: 1 cup of mashed fish or

1/3 of cup of the mashed potato and 1/3 of cap of mashed chicken

I try to drink at least 1.5 quarters of Water.< /span>

I switched from the liquid diet to this type of food three days ago. Before that, I lost 27lb within two weeks. I lost NOTHING since I switched to the food. And I am hungry (not all the time). I feel satisfied for at least 3-4 hrs. But after that I am hungry. I wake up early to go to work (4.45-5 am). Go to sleep around 10 pm.

My first fill and meeting with the nutritionist will be on November 14.

Please help me to adjust my diet. I know that some of you had the similar problems.

Thank you in advance,

Marina

weight.png

Hi everyone,

I am so thankful I saw this one!! I just got my band last Friday and I have been told so many different things about what to do. I was discussing this with my husband and he was like if you get into the habit of good exercise, I don't see why you can't eat everything, you are going to burn it off!!! THANK YOU for posting this question, b/c I am italian and so is my husband and the thought of not eating Pasta and my homemade sauce depresses me. The way I have been told, you have to give everything up and eat HIGH PROTEIN!!! I do like chicken but I like me some Italian sausage!!! Thank you everyone!!!